What book are you reading right now?

Page 5 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 4:30 pm

Taken by Storm, 1938 A Sociological and Meteorological History of The Great New England Hurricane
By Lourdes B. Aviles

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2015, 12:42 pm

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2015, 1:09 pm

Conditions Are Favorable

by Tara Staley

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2015, 1:13 pm

Mathilda by Roald Dahl. I saw the movie years ago but the books live-action movies are based on are nearly always superior.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2015, 1:56 pm

Yes, the books are 90% better than the movies.
I'm reading my own book as I type it out.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 12:39 pm

Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 12:57 pm

Noble House by James Clavell

TwilightReader100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2015, 10:53 pm

The official illustrated guide to the Twilight Saga. Next are the three books I got out of the library about Asperger's.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:32 pm

Before France And Germany: The Creation & Transformation Of the Merovingian World. By Patrick J. Geary

Historical account of how the Roman world had brought about unity in the Barbarian chaos in late antiquity, and how the Romans inturn were transformed by their Barbarian neighbors, till the two were indistinguishable. It was from this cultural mixture that the loose confederation of Germanic tribes called the Franks, whose population was spread between the wilds of Germania and Roman Gaul became the Frankish kingdom, from which emerged the modern nation states of Germany, France, and Belgium. A superb historical source, so far.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:37 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Before France And Germany: The Creation & Transformation Of the Merovingian World. By Patrick J. Geary

Have read that one to in relationship with a subject (sacred kingship) I had/have been researching. Interesting read, but found little extra information for further searches in the book.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 1:30 am

Sigbold wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Have read that one to in relationship with a subject (sacred kingship) I had/have been researching. Interesting read, but found little extra information for further searches in the book.

In regard to the Merovingian kings claiming descent from the Rhine river monster/god? Somewhat, though I'd like to read more.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 3:01 pm

I have just finished reading Naoki Higashida's The Reason I Jump.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 4:05 pm

Johnny Lydon AKA Johnny Rotten ( sex pistols and public image limited)Autobiography
Called Anger is an Energy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 2:00 am

Before France And Germany: The Creation & Transformation Of The Merovingian World, by Patrick J. Geary.

Historical account of how the loose confederation of Germanic tribes known as the Franks had been influenced by Roman Empire, and had in turn influenced the Romans. In time, the Franks, with their population sprawling between the forests of Germania and settled Roman Gaul, had filled the power vacuum left by the fallen western Roman Empire, and eventually gave rise to the modern nation states of Germany, France, and Belgium.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 12:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
In regard to the Merovingian kings claiming descent from the Rhine river monster/god? Somewhat, though I'd like to read more.

I am/was more researching it in a more general context then just in relationship with the Meogingian. By the way they also have a ling with certain grail legend interpretations.

But to stay on topic :

Germanische Sakralköningtum - Eve Picard

Children of Dune - Frank Herbert

Seize the fire - Michael A. Martin

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 9:47 pm