What book are you reading right now?

Page 7 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 3:25 am

Beyond Celts, Germans, and Scythians, by Peter Wells.

Anthropology/archaeology book on the prehistoric populations written about by the classical civilizations of Greeks and Romans. But rather than accepting that each group could be clearly delineated in the eyes of classical writers, the artifacts of these preliterate people's material culture are examined to perhaps better define notions of how they identified themselves, and how identity was not fixed among these European tribes, but often fluctuated. So far, an interesting read.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 5:51 pm

To Fetch A Thief by Spencer Quinn.

Next Up:

Joyland by Stephen King

Strangers {a Nameless Detective novel} by Bill Prozani

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 12:22 am

President Nixon: Alone in the White House by Richard Reeves

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 2:39 pm

I'm reading a book I thought I would never really enjoy reading, out of the knowledge. A history book, that's not in my top topics. Esp. middle age, castle etc.. Stuff. About The Tudors. It's like The young and the restless my grand mother would watch on TV.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 10:49 am

Just began reading History of The Catholic Church by James Hitchcock.

It's written from the perspective of a devout Catholic, so it will likely present the church in a somewhat positive light. But I'm used to handling such literature, and the reviews of Hitchcock's book are generally favourable, even from mainstream historians.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 6:07 pm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 6:17 pm

The Fall Of The House Of Usher, and others.

I decided to pick up an anthology of some of Edgar Allen Poe's fiction.

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 7:32 am

After my diagnosis, I am reviving my old passion to learn (instead of wasting away playing video games.) I have recently purchased 10 books, which I am juggling... reading each book little by little.

My course load for this "semester":

William Lane Craig-
Reasonable Faith
On Guard
The Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology

Thomas Merton-
The Seven Storey Mountain

G.K. Chesterton-
Orthodoxy

Treasury of the True Dharma Eye: Zen Master Dogen's Shobo Genzo
Edited by Kazuaki Tanahashi

Alfred North Whitehead-
Process and Reality

Ludwig Wittgenstein-
Major Works: Selected Philosophical Writings

James Joyce-
Finnegan's Wake

Tony Attwood-
The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 4:03 pm

Dipping back into this comic collection, which I started a few months ago but sort of forgot about.

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 11:49 pm

I don't have much time for reading and this book is huge, but it's convenient for nibbling because it's not plot-driven - it's American history and we know the basic story.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 3:46 pm

Supposed to be one of the better TV tie-in books. Bought a cheap old copy to give it a try.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 2:02 am

Art's Cello, by James N. McKean

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 8:34 am

skysaw wrote:

Well, I finished Flowers for Algernon in two days. I want to tell the whole world how great it is!
I don't know what made me read it, given some of the mawkish stuff I've come across before about people with mental difficulties.

Btw, I heard a while back of a novel about a bunch of people who become "voluntary autistics" as a way of withdrawing from society, but I can't remember what it's called.
Anyone know?

Now I'm reading "The Grip of Death: A Study of Modern Money, Debt Slavery & Destructive Economics" 8)

I am not a huge fan of fiction, and I have not read many fiction books, but my favorite fiction book of all time is Flowers for Algernon. I absolutely loved the writing and the descriptions of consciousness.

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2016, 8:00 am

Do digital comics count?

I've been reading Deadpool.

Catching back up on Deadpool Classic vol. 1, as I lost my place from last time I started reading Deadpool comics.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

Mattoid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Apr 2016, 12:09 am

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 114 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

MBTI Type: INFP
Enneagram Type: 4w5

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 2:53 pm

These are my recent acquisitions: