What book are you reading right now?

Page 1 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Snazzlestick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2010, 8:48 am

If this thread exists already, I apologise.

I'm currently reading the Communist Manifesto 8)

The blues are because you're getting fat, and maybe it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid, and you don't know what you're afraid of.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 9:12 am

I think one does but what the hell-I'm reading my favorite kind of pleasure read, a historical thriller. The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert. It's set in Elizabethan England and involves Christopher Marlowe's espionage activities.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 9:34 am

But the books I´m actually reading are:
"Nanosciences: The Invisible Revolution" by Christian Joachim and Laurence Plevert (very good!)
"Patter Recognition" William Gibson

Last edited by Wedge on 03 Jan 2010, 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 9:41 am

I'm finishing two books at the moment, Huysmans' Against Nature and The Fortress Of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem. both really awesome but in totally different ways and can't recommend them to anyone who doesn't share my tastes :p

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2010, 11:16 am

I just chew through books like a golden retriever puppy though shoes.So I have a number on my list.

Persephone in America by Alison Townsend, Dreams of Trespass by Fatima Mernissi, Paper Daughter by Elaine M Mar,Point Last Seen by Hannah Nyala, Warriors don't Cry by Melba Patillo Beals...

Just to name a few.

sanchasmcdude
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2010, 12:10 pm

Im re reading harry potter 5 (pheonix) and am going through Stephen Kings latest book, Under the Dome. im also goin through a few audiobooks but that dont count as readin.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 7:19 pm

There is...it's like 500 pages long...;)
Right now, it's 'The Rape Of Nanking' by Iris Chang...I read a lot of historical stuff....

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2010, 8:02 pm

"The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot. After that, "The Secret Teachings of All Ages" by Manley P. Hall

Snazzlestick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2010, 8:08 pm

pakled wrote:
I read a lot of historical stuff....

History books are cool :)

The blues are because you're getting fat, and maybe it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid, and you don't know what you're afraid of.

Garriond
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2010, 5:42 pm

Arduino - A book about building and programming your own electronic devices
The Language Instinct - by Steven Pinker; very interesting stuff about language, and I love Pinker's writing style, I try to learn it while reading the book
The 4-Hour Workweek - by Tim Ferriss; if I can implement this I have time to finish reading the other books

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 5:53 pm

Little Women.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Beatlegal
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2010, 5:52 pm

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: It's technically a library book, but it's really good so far (I'm on Ch.16 right now)
Fairy Cube Vol.2: I've read this before, but had to pause it for PAPAZ.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 7:16 pm

Beatlegal wrote:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: It's technically a library book, but it's really good so far (I'm on Ch.16 right now)
Fairy Cube Vol.2: I've read this before, but had to pause it for PAPAZ.

PAPAZ was fun-it's the closest I've gotten to Jane Austen. You can tell it's basically still her book with zombies added in. There's Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters but that was written by someone else.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 6:44 pm

Flowers for Algernon.
I think it's brilliant.
I've heard some people compare it to Curious Incident ... but I think it's much better.
I might have to start reading more fiction from now on.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 7:08 pm

skysaw wrote:
Flowers for Algernon.
I think it's brilliant.
I've heard some people compare it to Curious Incident ... but I think it's much better.
I might have to start reading more fiction from now on.

You might like Speed of Dark. It's about a man with Asperger's who has an opportunity to undergo a procedure to make him neurotypical. It's somewhat futuristic and Autism has generally been eliminated due to genetic research. He and a group of others were born before that was possible. It was written by a woman who has an adult son with AS. It's told from the young man's perspective. Of course I didn't find his perspective all that unusual.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 6:07 pm

Aimless wrote:

You might like Speed of Dark. It's about a man with Asperger's who has an opportunity to undergo a procedure to make him neurotypical. It's somewhat futuristic and Autism has generally been eliminated due to genetic research. He and a group of others were born before that was possible. It was written by a woman who has an adult son with AS. It's told from the young man's perspective. Of course I didn't find his perspective all that unusual.

Thanks for the tip!
I think I will check it out.
(Thing is - I've got a bunch of books by actual autistic people I keep meaning to read, top of the list probably being A Real Person by Gunila Gerland.)

Well, I finished Flowers for Algernon in two days. I want to tell the whole world how great it is!
I don't know what made me read it, given some of the mawkish stuff I've come across before about people with mental difficulties.

Btw, I heard a while back of a novel about a bunch of people who become "voluntary autistics" as a way of withdrawing from society, but I can't remember what it's called.
Anyone know?

Now I'm reading "The Grip of Death: A Study of Modern Money, Debt Slavery & Destructive Economics" 8)