What book are you reading right now?

Page 11 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 8:41 pm

Just finished the audiobook read by the Author.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 1:07 pm

Just finished The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. Very much enjoyed. Curious about the movie now.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2017, 7:14 pm

I'm reading The Devils Disciples, its the story of Hitlers inner circle through the birth of the party to the Nuremburg tribunals. it's non-fiction and reads like a novel. The only better writing ive read on this subject would be Albert Speers Inside the Third Reich.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 11:49 pm

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2017, 3:14 pm

I just finished George Carlin's Last Words.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 7:08 pm

started on peter sloterdijk's "spheres" trilogy in German. so far, I made it through the 98 pages of foreword... it's sesquipedalian. actually, when I opened the amazon package and took out the three books, and realized the stack was relatively close to being a cube, I though: okay, after I'm done with this, I'll shave, get a haircut, and look for a girlfriend.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 9:47 pm

What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell

Diabolikal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2017, 10:34 pm

American Splendor, Voice of the Dolphins, Tao of Physics, and The Futurological Congress.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 1:43 am

I've been reading about Victorian life lately because I was shopping at one of my favorite stores "The Victorian Trading Company". They had a book called "How to be A Victorian" by Ruth Goodman that tells exactly what it was like during that time period for men, women and kids during work, play or sleep. I'm still reading it, but that book lead me to another one about medical procedures during the Victorian Era and in particular surgical procedures and infection. This book is called "The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine" that talks about how Joseph Lister got started with antiseptic that was able to kill infection which up until that time, people were dying left and right from post - op infections. One surgeon was known to perform surgery in less than 5 minutes! It talks about the invention of ether too which then allowed surgeons to take their time when performing surgeries. Very interesting! :mrgreen:

Hey! Lister knew Hodgkins - the guy who founded Hodgkins Lymphoma! They lived together in college and were even childhood friends!

It says back in those times, bloodletting was very popular. I even have read before that now they believe that bloodletting actually worked - back then they didn't know why bloodletting worked to fight infection. I found this on WebMD that explains how they think it worked :

https://www.webmd.com/men/news/20040910 ... s-benefits

And get this! Lister knew a Robert Liston who was another surgeon that created his own amputation knife - it was so well made that it was later used by Jack The Ripper! This book is the bomb!

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 6:53 pm

Unless one has a basic knowledge of the "germ theory," one really would have difficulty treating infectious diseases.

Until Louis Pasteur, people had certain notions which hinted at how contagious diseases are transmitted---but Pasteur was the one, I believe, who proved it once and for all. That was about the 1880s.

This is why, ultimately, we have the vast majority of the drugs we have.