Deinonychus

22 Feb 2010, 11:43 pm

I just re-read Filth by Irvine Welsh.
I read most good books several times.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 5:08 am

The Miocene Arrow by Sean McMullen, interesting post-apocalyptic fare (second part of a trilogy, and already making me feel very stupid for taking something the first book said on trust when I really shouldn't've!)

Struggled a bit with Regenesis, though. There's something about the way Cherryh writes that bores me; huge periods where nothing really seems to happen at all, and then something interesting happens but is told in a such a sparse form as to be anticlimactic. The Alliance-Union setting is good, though.

The year is still young.

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2010, 6:57 am

'To race a dream' by Deborah Savage.
Or actually I read it in Swedish, it's named 'Spring som vinden'.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 9:08 am

'Understanding Autism For Dummies', and 'What Difference Do it Make' which is the sequel to a book titled "Same Kind of Different as Me', and 'C# 2008 For Dummies'. And of course I can't remember any author's names at the moment.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 10:34 pm

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Bella1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2010, 1:51 am

Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett

"It wasn't a dark and stormy night. It should have been, but that's the weather for you.". (p.24)

I love the idea of playing with well known starts for dodgy horror stories and making it real. It has me grinning quite a lot and I would really recommend it, even though I haven't finished yet.

whatamarshmallow
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2010, 1:34 am

AstenKathleen wrote:
Breaking Dawn =]

=D Twilighttt

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:41 am

I am currently reading the book my wife had ordered for me off of Ebay as a Valentine's Day present - which just came yesterday in the mail. And that book is - -

Pre-Roman Iron Age, Including: Cimbri, Tollund Man, Irmonones, Proto-Germanic Language, Teutons, Ingaevones, Istvaeones, Jastorf Culture, Gundestrup Cauldron, Boiorix, Ale's Stones, Ambrones, Hilleviones, Hjortspring Boat, Teutobod, Old Croghan Man.

Yes, that's the whole damn title. Essentially, the title is self explanatory - part history, part anthropology, and part linguistics, concerning prehistoric and ancient Germanic culture.
The downside is, the chapters are nothing more than Wikipedia articles, many of which I recognize having read in the past. Still, my wifey got it for me - after having to wait more than two weeks past Valentine's Day for - so I'm reading it cover to cover.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 1:28 pm

I'm really going guts-out right now on the kind of stuff that I never thought I'd catch myself reading but informative cravings have been nibbling at me this much.

I'm almost done with "Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and Occult" by Richard Metzger (as the title might indicate it's somewhat of a mixed bag, albeit seems to err much for the better the occasional idiot article).

Aside from that I just got done reading/scanning The Book of Enoch (the cheap no notes version), am about 1/4 of the way through The Essence of the Notes by Maurice Earl Osborn (which I hope to have read by early next week) and Three Books of Occult Philosophy by Henrich Cornelius Agrippa collated by Donald Tyson.

Lots of topics here that I'd rather just read up on myself and have a thoroughly educated opinion on rather than have a random expert form my opinion or leave these in my 'I don't know' repository.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:15 pm

I'm going to look for some Piers Anthony. I haven't read him in a long time.

Moonshine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2015, 5:50 pm

I'm just wondering out of all the book threads why nobody has posted in them for over two years? 8O

I've just finished a huge fictional paperback by Lucinda Riley. Called The Seven Sisters.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 11:15 pm

I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 1:17 am

I am presently reading, 'Balzac And The Little Chinese Seamstress', by- Dai Sijie

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm

I'm currently reading Deep Down Dark, a book about the 33 men trapped in a Chilean mine for 69 days.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 5:42 pm

Picking at two things right now:

Work lunch breaks on my Kindle: Just finished Max Heindle's Cosmo Conception, reading Man, His True Nature and Ministry by Louis-Claude de Saint-Martin. Enneads by Plotinus might be next.

At home: The Magical Tarot of the Golden Dawn by Pat and Chris Zalewski.

I was reading fiendishly for at least 2 1/2 or 3 years but in the past few months I've dialed it back a notch just on how heavy my load at work as well as my organizational involvements has been.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2015, 6:15 am

I just finished the Count of Monte Cristo on my kindle, started on holiday but it was so damn long I didn't finish it until several days after the holiday finished :lol: . Gave a real feel of the early to mid 19th century in France, so that was interesting.