Music you love, that everyone else seems to hate

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 1:21 pm

I like indie/acoustic jazz/acoustic pop, and I know virtually nobody who likes those things.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

marchingmaniac
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jan 2010, 5:33 pm

band music. And acapella.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 7:50 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
The artists that I like that none or few others seem to are John Cage, Philip Glass, Raymond Scott and William Keller.
M.

I love Philip Glass and like John Cage a lot.

For me - The Residents and Einsturzende Neubauten.

I'm also a bit surprised how many people dislike classical music and believe only snobs listen to it.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 8:10 pm

I tend to not listen to my preferred music when around others because people don't generally like what I like. That being said, I am open to all music and will happily listen to most of what other people like so I'm usually content to save my favourite music to enjoy by myself.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 11:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
The Kinks

people don't hate the kinks they just listen to them as much as they should.

er...i don't know. i like banjo extraordinaire bela fleck. a lot of people think of hicks and the song from deliverance when they think of the banjo. bela uses it for jazzier and classical purposes though.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 5:12 am

tinky wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
The Kinks

er...i don't know. i like banjo extraordinaire bela fleck. a lot of people think of hicks and the song from deliverance when they think of the banjo. bela uses it for jazzier and classical purposes though.

Bela Fleck is great! He's not even close to country.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 11:32 am

Gaya wrote:
Quote:
I love that Genesis video with the puppets

I just looked it up on Youtube. 8O Creeeeepy!

In puppets, there is a lot of creepy since much of the tradition comes from Eastern Europe, even Jim Henson was pretty dark at times.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 3:34 pm

Aimless wrote:
tinky wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
The Kinks

that's why i get p-d off everytime i import a bela fleck album on itunes and they label it as country. :x

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 3:46 am

tinky wrote:
Aimless wrote:
tinky wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
The Kinks

that's why i get p-d off everytime i import a bela fleck album on itunes and they label it as country. :x

Has anyone seen the documentary where Bela Fleck travels to Africa to explore the origins of the banjo (I hope I haven't gotten it wrong)? I've been meaning to see it...it sounds interesting.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 6:29 am

DarrylZero wrote:
tinky wrote:
Aimless wrote:
tinky wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
The Kinks

Has anyone seen the documentary where Bela Fleck travels to Africa to explore the origins of the banjo (I hope I haven't gotten it wrong)? I've been meaning to see it...it sounds interesting.

I didn't know there was a documentary, but I heard him interviewed on NPR. I didn't know until then about the banjo's origins. That is so ironic since the banjo is so much associated with White Southern culture. I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones play a small venue many years ago when they were still playing small clubs. I was with this guy who was so bent on meeting him as soon as the show was over he dragged me outside to intercept Bela before he had a chance to get on his bus. So anyway, I quite brilliantly said" I enjoyed the show" and he said "Thank you". :oops:

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2010, 7:25 am

No one i know likes Van der Graaf Generator.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 12:27 pm

Aimless wrote:
So anyway, I quite brilliantly said" I enjoyed the show" and he said "Thank you". :oops:

That was probably the best compliment an artist could hear.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 9:43 pm

Aimless wrote:
DarrylZero wrote:
tinky wrote:
Aimless wrote:
tinky wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
The Kinks

I didn't know there was a documentary, but I heard him interviewed on NPR. I didn't know until then about the banjo's origins. That is so ironic since the banjo is so much associated with White Southern culture. I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones play a small venue many years ago when they were still playing small clubs. I was with this guy who was so bent on meeting him as soon as the show was over he dragged me outside to intercept Bela before he had a chance to get on his bus. So anyway, I quite brilliantly said" I enjoyed the show" and he said "Thank you". :oops:

Haha, yeah that sounds like something i would do. I think about all these things i want to say "sir, you've opened my eyes to what music means" "you helped me on my journey from mainstream crap to real music." i would probably just say cooly "I enjoyed your show." and smile awkwardly.

about the documentary: yees yees! i own it and it's quite fascinating. explained a lot about the songs on the cd.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 10:49 pm

Living in the US - I can't play much of what I like at all without getting a lot of either really hard uncomfortable silence or, if I were to lets say have full amnesia and not be able to figure out how that would work at a house party - you'd have people running across the room with a look of absolute pained urgency to get the cd out of the cd player (likely tripping over each other in the process). Electronic doesn't fly here at all but somehow we give rap/rnb a glaringly obvious pass on that standard. Then again I'll admit - its not about whether its rock, rap, country, seems like most anything that's not current top 40 will get a similar result.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 11:34 pm

This is a tough question because I tend to associate with open-minded people who are really into music and like all kinds of stuff.

But I don't think I've ever met anyone else who actually enjoys listening to The Screamers, although they might collect their records for "historical significance" or whatever.

JoshCollins
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jan 2010, 1:32 am

Tool!