Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:07 am

I took piano for 5 years, never really learned to play. The teacher would play the piece, I'd go 'got it', then (mostly) play it back. He said I was improvising...;)

I play by ear, always have. Guitar chords are pretty easy; you can listen for the intervals between notes to determine what the original chords are (unless their barre [sp?] chords).

If I had to, I can do a bout a bar a minute...;) It's a lot easier if someone says 'it's in C#', than trying to figure out (ok, this many black notes, etc...;)

quietmusical
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2010, 10:58 am

rat1953 wrote:
I play guitar. I also have trouble reading music. Well, I actually don't know how to read music so I just look at tabs. :]

Yeah, reading guitar music is one of the hardest. I'd say i'm an intermediate reader. It takes a lot of practice, and sightreading, but i reckon it's worth it. A famous rock guitarist once said, "I have never regretted all those hours and days i spent learning to read music." You'll never have to say, "where's the tabs?" again.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 11:24 am

RhettOracle wrote:
The music I play just comes out of my fingertips. I know not from where, or why, only that it does. My only hope is that it never stops.

That's Beautiful!

MoonRa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2010, 12:19 pm

I love some music:)), but can't read a single note; high-school music teacher was more kinda 'gym-teacher', focusing on the popular side of the class to form a band:/

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 7:50 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
I always felt that the notes on the page didn't convey quite enough information to be able to play the tune, that I had to know how the tune went before being able to read the music. But I never experienced any difficulty with notes moving about, though, that doesn't sound like fun. :(

I feel the same, I need to hear the piece first before I play it. I memorize the sheet music the first time, then I have the bad habit of never looking or reading the sheet music of that song again. My private instructors and college professors weren't always happy about it. So I'd dazed off with my head up and pretended to read the sheet music. But I have never stopped learning to play music that way.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 9:32 pm

quietmusical wrote:
You'll never have to say, "where's the tabs?" again.

When I'm doing touchstyle things, I always have to find, transcribe or compose in sheet music. Then write out everything in tab, memorise fingerings and then use sheet music for rhythm.

Picking I just use sheet music, but wide interval tapping with no indication screws me over if I'm sight reading.

quietmusical
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2010, 2:45 am

TheOddGoat wrote:
quietmusical wrote:

When I'm doing touchstyle things, I always have to find, transcribe or compose in sheet music. Then write out everything in tab, memorise fingerings and then use sheet music for rhythm.

Picking I just use sheet music, but wide interval tapping with no indication screws me over if I'm sight reading.

That all sounds very difficult. Sure, reading the upper fretboard is hard to master in sheetmusic, easier in tabs; but things like rythm and more refined ideas are impossible in tabs. I see you are trying to get the best of both worlds. I still have trouble reading difficult rythms, triplet semiquavers, etc, and upper fretboard at speed, but i persevere till i can get it. I have to admit i've never read tabs, (except one piece, years ago). So my view is very biased, and maybe unfairly so. I've done grades 3, 5, and 6 in practical classical guitar, and they wouldn't have let me in the door with tabs.
But for Taupey and Rhettoracle, i have a deep respect for the natural musicians. I will never be counted among them. I have to do it the hard way.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 6:50 am

quietmusical wrote:
TheOddGoat wrote:
quietmusical wrote:

That all sounds very difficult. Sure, reading the upper fretboard is hard to master in sheetmusic, easier in tabs; but things like rythm and more refined ideas are impossible in tabs. I see you are trying to get the best of both worlds. I still have trouble reading difficult rythms, triplet semiquavers, etc, and upper fretboard at speed, but i persevere till i can get it. I have to admit i've never read tabs, (except one piece, years ago). So my view is very biased, and maybe unfairly so. I've done grades 3, 5, and 6 in practical classical guitar, and they wouldn't have let me in the door with tabs.
But for Taupey and Rhettoracle, i have a deep respect for the natural musicians. I will never be counted among them. I have to do it the hard way.

Thank you QuietMusical, I have never thought of myself in that way. One of my piano instructors called how I learned music, cheating. :) I can read and understand sheet music but I'm very slow at sight reading/playing when I don't know what the piece sounds like.
I admire people who can play a piece they have never heard before just by reading the sheet music.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 1:16 pm

I can't find it anywhere but I am sure there is a condition which makes reading music difficult... The search did bring up the whole Irlen thing as well. One question. Could you be long sighted? That's obviously not what causes ALL people who struggle to read music's problems but that has partially caused mine. I too see the notes dancing around and have to sit and think 'F A C E' or 'E G B D F' before I can work out where certain notes are.

I, like a lot of you, taught myself to play the keyboard, guitar, ukelele, fife, tin whistle, organ, banjo and even violin... although the latter sounds more like I am stepping on a cat's tail... needs work! :lol: I was only six when I perfectly imitated a song on my mini keyboard and have done this up until I was about 14 and suddenly REALLY needed to know which note was which. That's easy enough once you learn each note individually, but putting it all together was impossible!

It has taken me over 7 years but I can finally read music at a basic level. Good enough that, as long as I know the song too (I still cheat!) I can follow the notes along. Wearing my glasses or even sunglasses helps me. Just don't give up and hopefully you will find this comes to you as well.

quietmusical
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2010, 3:52 pm

Julia_the_Great wrote:
It's weird; I've never had a ton of trouble reading words, but music or anytrhing involving dot codes is hard for me.

Has anyone else found that when they read music, the notes jump to different heights or flip upside down?

Jellybean might have a point there, Julie. I remember when i first started reading music,, i was having trouble with concentration, and a friend who was an optometrist said that the trouble might have been my eyesight. The problem in my case turned out to be just concentration, but maybe a slight focus problem is causing your reading troubles. Maybe you could get your eyes tested, i think the test is free. But don't give up/ Perseverance has fixed plenty of the problems i have had learning music. Good luck.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 5:59 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I can't find it anywhere but I am sure there is a condition which makes reading music difficult... The search did bring up the whole Irlen thing as well. One question. Could you be long sighted? That's obviously not what causes ALL people who struggle to read music's problems but that has partially caused mine. I too see the notes dancing around and have to sit and think 'F A C E' or 'E G B D F' before I can work out where certain notes are.

I, like a lot of you, taught myself to play the keyboard, guitar, ukelele, fife, tin whistle, organ, banjo and even violin... although the latter sounds more like I am stepping on a cat's tail... needs work! :lol: I was only six when I perfectly imitated a song on my mini keyboard and have done this up until I was about 14 and suddenly REALLY needed to know which note was which. That's easy enough once you learn each note individually, but putting it all together was impossible!

It has taken me over 7 years but I can finally read music at a basic level. Good enough that, as long as I know the song too (I still cheat!) I can follow the notes along. Wearing my glasses or even sunglasses helps me. Just don't give up and hopefully you will find this comes to you as well.

This is interesting Jelly Bean. Yes, come to think of it I do remember having trouble telling which space or line the black dot was in or on. When I read a space note, I knew it wasn't a line note but I had a difficult time telling the space that it was in. The same rule applied to the line notes. I can remember one time confusing both space and line notes together. At that time I wasn't far-sighted but only near-sighted. Now I'm both. I haven't read sheet music in a few years. Once I was reading from a book of sheet music of Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Album, the first song, Funeral For A Friend, the paper is yellow and the notes, staff and print are in green and I can remember thinking how much easier it was to read this sheet music compared to my other sheet music which is in black and white. This was before I had studied paino with an instructor or at college/university with a professor. I'll remember the sunglasses next time I sit down at a piano and begin to read sheet music, Thank You. :)

Taupey

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 2:08 am

I have played guitar since the age of 11. I'm kinda out of practice now though. I have never been great at reading music. I have a fair knowledge of music theory and improv but reading music has always been difficult for me to grasp. I read music roughly with the frequency of a kinder or first grader reading words.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 2:43 am

I have a hard time with it. I keep learning, forgetting, learning, forgetting, learning...it doesn't seem to stay in my long-term memory.

quietmusical
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2010, 4:49 am

pineapple wrote:
I have a hard time with it. I keep learning, forgetting, learning, forgetting, learning...it doesn't seem to stay in my long-term memory.

Yeah. We all have that trouble. If i haven't played for a while then it takes me time to start reading properly again. There's only 3 things you need to do to be a good reader. Read, Read, Read.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:39 pm

We at least we're all in good company. :) And it's so nice to learn it's not just me being "weird"! :D