What Song Are You *Feeling* Right Now?

Page 37 of 109 [ 1744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 109  Next

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 5:25 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
This one circled back around to me later in life after I'd been listening to Tricky, Massive Attack, etc. for a while and that's when it properly 'clicked' as I was finally holding the right keys to understand it. When I was 16 and heard it / watched it for the first time I found it interesting but I really didn't see the context or what went into it. Now, I'll probably sound crazy for saying it, she's the closest thing to 'trip hop' that we had and I'd put this on par, in terms of genius for age, that I'd give Nas for Illmatic or Prodigy and Havoc (Mobb Deep) for The Infamous and it seems evident they're all f'ing old souls to be able to break it down like that in their teens.

Old Soul is a fantastic description for the depth and richness of talent some people have at a young age.

I actually discovered her by accident while trying to search someone else also with the name "Apple". I did not find who I was looking for (then), but I was not disappointed in the least by finding her instead. I remember hearing her voice and thinking to myself, "I so gotta learn how to do that..."

Massive Attack is one that sort of circled back around for me. There is one song in particular of theirs that I've used to practice transitions to falsetto and back.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 5:29 am

I like to sing. I used to take voice lessons, but it’s been a long time.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 5:51 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

What kind of music do you like to sing, if you don't mind my asking?

I've never had formal training in voice, but I would like to. It's on my sorely-neglected to-do list...

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 7:16 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I've never had formal training in voice, but I would like to. It's on my sorely-neglected to-do list...

When I was taking voice lessons, I mostly sang music from musicals and an occasional folk song. I’m a mezzo-soprano.

These days I just sing along to any song that’s playing on the radio when I’m alone in my car. :lol:

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 7:35 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 10:26 am

Old Soul is a fantastic description for the depth and richness of talent some people have at a young age.

Yeah, I get reminded of things like HC Agrippa writing his Three Books on Occult Philosophy back in 1509 at age 23.

I actually discovered her by accident while trying to search someone else also with the name "Apple". I did not find who I was looking for (then), but I was not disappointed in the least by finding her instead. I remember hearing her voice and thinking to myself, "I so gotta learn how to do that..."

Massive Attack is one that sort of circled back around for me. There is one song in particular of theirs that I've used to practice transitions to falsetto and back.

Something else back along the MA and Tricky vector, I have a hard time settling whether she's actually the 'best' female vocalist I've heard or just the first heart-felt favorite where it was full-package and I didn't have to separate content from technique but even if it were the later case she's still very much up there both vocally and as a story-telling and melody-crafting intellect:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 12:56 pm

https://youtu.be/WM7-PYtXtJM

I took my love, then I took it down
I climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Til the landslide brought me down

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 1:05 pm

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 2:11 pm

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 2:12 pm

https://youtu.be/OpN6YBTazKk

D-U-M-B
Everyone's accusing me

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 4:14 pm

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 7:40 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

When I was taking voice lessons, I mostly sang music from musicals and an occasional folk song. I’m a mezzo-soprano.

These days I just sing along to any song that’s playing on the radio when I’m alone in my car. :lol:

"Whatever song is playing" is a perfectly valid song selection 8)

Near as I can tell, I'm a fairly solid baritone, with a fair amount of range into tenor.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 7:53 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

"Whatever song is playing" is a perfectly valid song selection 8)

Near as I can tell, I'm a fairly solid baritone, with a fair amount of range into tenor.

You are probably a better singer than I am. I’ve barely sang in years. I’m getting back into it, though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 8:36 pm

Excuse my interruption. ^^

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 8:43 pm

^ I just watched this on YouTube yesterday.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 8:46 pm

The whole show, or the song?

I love Les Mis. Can't get enough of it. I've seen Colm Wilkinson live.