Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

post-ante
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2006, 1:09 pm

In my opinion they're the most important band since Oasis. It's been a long time coming but finally we have a classy music scene developing again. They've been dubbed the Northern Libertines.

They're in a completely different league to the Libertines, their wry lyrics which are often social commentaries separate them as intellectual pillors of the music world. It's startling how young the band members are - the lead singer was born in 1986.

So was the drummer. I'm not sure about the others but they're probably similar ages. That must make them one of the youngest line-ups in a chart-topping, unmanufactured band ever. That they're from Sheffield, a city almost as north as Manchester geographically but even more North economically makes their success all the richer.

The band's debut album, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, holds the record for the largest first day sales of a debut album in the UK. That speaks for itself.

What d'yer think?

http://aspie18.myfreeforum.org

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 2:15 pm

I'm listening to them right now... I really like it, reminds me of Franz Ferdinand

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 8:21 pm

i've only heard a couple of songs by arctic monkeys, but i liked what i heard. they reminded me of the pixies- which is a huge compliment, coming from me (an obsessive pixies fan).

CHAOS
Raven
Raven

30 Jan 2006, 12:49 am

I found them by accident and I'm starting to really get into their music. I really love Mardy Bum. :P

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2006, 7:17 am

Quote:
In my opinion they're the most important band since Oasis.

Not that important then... :roll:

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2006, 3:15 pm

Really I must know, how the hell were Oasis important?

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 10:37 pm

My favorite songs are "Fake Tales of San Francisco" and "From the Ritz to the Rubble"

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2006, 8:16 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
I'm listening to them right now... I really like it, reminds me of Franz Ferdinand

:lol: How can you say this? I really like Franz Ferdinand but can't stand the Arctic Monkeys, I don't get why they are so good.

bunny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2006, 5:52 am

Artic monkey are in my top ten list af all time...I think they are magnificent lyricists. Brilliant. When I first heard, 'when the sun goes down' ages ago I wanted to buy it immediately 8) . I love what they did releasing it on the net first too. It shows how great a band they really are to get famous from there. We know that they are not manufactured, and it has opened up doors for other songwriters and bands by publicising that fact.

8)

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2006, 10:53 am

worsedale wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion they're the most important band since Oasis.

Not that important then... :roll:

Dang beaten to the point there

There local and i think whats good about them and that snow patrol band as well is that they have done this without a record label backing behind them and i think this may be a good step in the right direction for the industry were the artist takes sole control of their promotion and financial matters

Music wise there just another lap up to NME band. And I can't stand those elitist dinosaurs that write for NME

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 11:26 pm

Boring.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 1:44 pm

worsedale wrote:
Really I must know, how the hell were Oasis important?

I'd like to know the same thing. To me they're on the same level as No Doubt/Gwen Stefani, Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Etc. --People who's music is a complete theft of your time and listening pleasure,

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2006, 9:03 pm

i don't get how they're getting so popular. i do like it though! sort of an underground success. they're gonna be big really soon, like beatles big. i'm getting their cd tomorrow too haha

ARW_AS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2006, 6:02 am

Overrated?

I'm getting sick of this new indie riff-raff which tends to consist of some of the most boring guitar work ever...just my opinion

Although theyre selling in America (advanced bookings etc.), apparently the Americans aren't really taking a shine to them.

USA DOESN'T GIVE A MONKEYS

IT FEELS like they arrived only half an hour ago, but already the Arctic Monkeys are considered - flop in America.

"Overhyped Monkeys," was the verdict of one critic, echoed elsewhere, while their showcase performance on Saturday Night Live (the coming-out ball for any hot young band) was greeted with little more than polite smiles.

It's not as though America didn't want to love the singer Alex Turner's group. Tickets for the US tour sold out almost immediately and they were headliners at the massive South by Southwest festival in Texas.

But the reality of the Monkeys was greeted with the sound of one hand clapping.

"Perhaps, for all the sales and hype, the band has been brought up too quickly and isn't ready to headline," said Variety.

Every British band wants to be the Beatles in America, but most end up being more like Robbie Williams.

Before the Mop Tops went to the States they racked up hit after hit in their home country and served mg, hard apprenticeships in Liverpool and Hamburg.

The Beatles were sensations because they mastered their craft far away from the spotlight and didn't go anywhere near a recording contract before they were world-beaters.

It will never happen again. That's why we are left with so much talent that is only half-baked.

The Arctic Monkeys are a fine band that could have been a great band if they had been given a little room to grow - and a chance to play countless gigs in front of drunken sailors and violent prostitutes, or violent sailors and drunken prostitutes.

But nobody wants to serve an apprenticeship any more.

TONY PARSONS, THE MIRROR

Invisible_Ink
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2006, 4:11 pm

I can seriously name a handful of new British bands more deserving of the hype than the AMs, I'm afraid. (I don't hate the Monkeys. I just don't get the hype.):

Futureheads -- you have to hear their cover of Hounds of Love, if you have not yet already. Brilliant.
Bloc Party
Maximo Park

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2006, 7:45 pm

They were pretty lame when I saw them on SNL I have to admit. Not a good live show.
Plus at one point the singer pointed out that someone in the audience was yawning.... um, wtf? thats the equivalent of screaming "Look at me I suck!!"
I still think their songs can be pretty catchy though