Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 12:27 pm

One day, I was in a Book-A-Million in Savannah, Georgia, browsing the place for some works by Philip K. Dick, when I happened across Stephanie Meyer's (in)famous novel Twilight. I knew what I was getting myself into when I stood in the aisle, and opened the book, revealing the first page. Immediately, I closed it and put it back on the shelf. When your story fails to pique interest on the first page, then something is very, very wrong. You'd be suprised how much junk makes it to the top of the New York Times Bestseller list, like those sleazy erotic novels you can get for around a buck in an adult entertainment store in the red light district of a high crime area.

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 1:22 pm

Twilight reads like the kind of thing a 14 year old emo girl would write. Honestly. I think the copyeditor only removed the lowercase spellings, and if those were intact, it'd read like a bad teen fic.

I hated reading through it to get a feel. It was... a chore.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:00 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
When your story fails to pique interest on the first page, then something is very, very wrong.

Yeah. So how did Nathaniel Hawthorne become famous? I never could read any of his books. After the first few pages of agitated boredom, I concluded, "This guy's just a bad writer."

I'd say the worst work of fiction that I've actually made myself read start to finish was Great Expectations.

Oh, I also had to read The Bridges of Madison County for a class, but there was a fun twist to the assignment - it was pointed out in advance that this was a good example of vapid "best seller" type literature, and we were supposed to analyze the author's techniques for writing something whose sole purpose is commercial appeal.

Then we got to write an essay comparing The Bridges of Madison County with Leda and the Swan - from a Marxist feminist perspective. :lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:19 pm

I completely agree that Twilight is a terrible book. I suffered through 100 pages of the 1st book, wondering exactly why it's so addicting to teenage girls and disillusioned housewives. I couldn't find any good qualities; the descriptions of he characters made me roll my eyes and laugh. Twilight is for people who want vampire stories but are not mature enough to handle better vampire depictions like in Anne Rice's novels and Hellsing.

Anyway, the worst book I've read purely in terms of content (but not writing) was A Child Called It. Its subject matter was stomach-churning, to say the least. To this day I still wonder whether it was a true story or some fabrication like A Million Little Pieces (which by the way is actually quite good).

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2010, 2:32 pm

Funny, the worst I ever read was a Philip K Dick book, Paycheck, but he gets away with it for writing at least 3 bona fide classics in his career and quite a few other good ones.

Books that seem great from the first start often are only great at the start and dissapoint from then on. Dave Egger's Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius being a good example, the introduction/first chapter is amazing and the rest of the book takes a nosedive from there.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Last edited by racooneyes on 18 Jan 2010, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:35 pm

I didn't like Dune.

-Pythagoras

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:40 pm

Not counting classic literature, the book I disliked the most was 'The Lovely Bones'. I saw the trailer for teh film though; it ooks quite good.

I didn't finish Twilighlight either. I went on Cracked.com and they managed to sum up the entire plot line of all y7 books in 2 pages. Oddly enough, the films weren't as bad as I thought. It's weird; I usually hate films based on books.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:42 pm

The worst book I ever read was in my hotel room. I flipped it open at random and landed on a passage talking about smashing babies' heads against rocks! Unbelievable that this stuff is published as reading material.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2010, 3:23 pm

It's hard to say the worst, but the book I remember being bothered by the most is The Wheel of Time book 1. There wasn't anything in that particularly rubbed me the wrong way. It's more that I felt bored to tears by it and I couldn't even finish the measly few chapters left. Seemed like Robert Jordan had taken a 300 page story and stretched it out to infinity.

genedig65
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2010, 3:51 pm

The Catcher in the Rye...truly awful

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2010, 4:19 pm

Whale Rider. Had to read it for novel study at school. And then do chapter summaries, analysis, essays, memorize quotes, in-character roleplaying, etc., etc., etc... As well as being decidedly dull and predictable, I also found the chapters written entirely in Maori rather irritating. They didn't add anything to the book for me - just meant that there were big chunks I didn't understand!

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:41 pm

Idaho Rose: A Child Called It is true. There is a sequel where life turned out a little better.

Writing OK, content terrible: Time Enough For Love by Heinlein.

And yeah, I hated Catcher In The Rye too.

Anybody here remember Jonathon Seagull. I remembered the middle two syllable name til I went to type it. I hate aphasia.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:46 pm

The Alchemist
I literally HATE that book.

:eew: :eew: :eew:

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:48 pm

The Alchemist?! !!

That is one of my favorites.

-Pythagoras

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:53 pm

Magnus wrote:
The Alchemist?! !!

That is one of my favorites.

seriously?! but it's so pretentious and badly written!! maybe I had some bad translation but I just found it irritatingly shallow and overly optimistic, like a crappy pop song :P

Last edited by anna-banana on 18 Jan 2010, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beatlegal
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2010, 4:53 pm

I hate Twilight with a flaming passion. :thumbdown:
I couldn't get past the first five pages.