Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 3:15 am

This is a well written article about a creative musical computer program.

http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture-so ... oser-8507/

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 4:44 am

Just for nitpicking, but isn't most music artificial? :)

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 5:19 am

PLA wrote:

OK. So it's an artificial what?

Actually you have something of a point. All music is not artificial. it is quite real. It is the composition which might, under some circumstances, be considered artificial. Although it really is being composed so it's a bit of a strain to call that artificial too.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 6:56 am

Sand wrote:
PLA wrote:

Actually you have something of a point. All music is not artificial. it is quite real. It is the composition which might, under some circumstances, be considered artificial. Although it really is being composed so it's a bit of a strain to call that artificial too.

Hm, maybe "automatic" is better?

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 7:04 am

PLA wrote:
Sand wrote:
PLA wrote:

Hm, maybe "automatic" is better?

Sounds right. But I doubt I can change the thread heading anymore.
I probably hooked into the word "artificial" because the article intimated that the origination of genuine worthwhile music by a computer constituted a form of artificial intelligence.
Since composition of good music does require some sort of evaluation of the final product I wonder if the program can also actually appreciate good music. That could put robotics into a somewhat higher class than what is regarded as purely "mechanical".

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 8:43 am

Sand wrote:

Music is human made. That is what is meant by "artificial". It is an artifact.

Automobiles and Artillery Shells are quite real, but they are also artifacts. They do not occur in nature insensate.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 8:51 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Music is human made. That is what is meant by "artificial". It is an artifact.

Automobiles and Artillery Shells are quite real, but they are also artifacts. They do not occur in nature insensate.

ruveyn

Right, then a can of pork and beans is also artificial as they don't occur in nature either. Machine intelligence is also an artifact so is it legitimately artificial? It certainly is real.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:26 am

Sand wrote:

Right, then a can of pork and beans is also artificial as they don't occur in nature either. Machine intelligence is also an artifact so is it legitimately artificial? It certainly is real.

Machine Intelligence? Is that anything like Business Ethics, or Compassionate Government?

ruveyn

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 3:49 pm

PLA wrote:

Mine isn't.

well, I believe more appropriately the term for it should be artificial composition rather than music, as it is about a software that creates music rather than a human and not about genre or anything else.

And yeah, it's interesting, not sure if it's something for human composers to really worry about, for the controversy apparentely, to me, it resembles somehow to vocaloid (artificial singer).

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 5:49 pm

This thread was moved from the philosophy, politic and religion forum because it dealt in music but the inherent discussion was more about human versus machine creativity and it was in that capacity that I entered it into PPR. It is basically a philosophical discussion.