Artists/Writers Poets/Musicians: AS/ASD Affect Your Art?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 7:50 pm

I don't play much anymore, but when I was a serious musician (bass/guitar), my style was very edgy/angular/"jerky"/staccatto. This sort of reflects the way that I move and speak.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 7:58 am

My Asperger's does leave its mark in my writing. A lot of the time, my mind is racing with a variety of thoughts, and I just can't seem to concentrate on just one so that I can write. Freewriting helps me with that.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 8:02 am

As a comedian I think it helps my creativity because I notice things and make connections that most people don't make

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2010, 10:30 pm

AS affects my writing in some ways. Like when I'm thinking of a story, the characters would be so unusual that they almost seem as if they've came from my subconscious. I also make up many words to create metaphors, and sometimes I just create words just to show slang. Also, when I write I also have this child-like way of writing the story, poem, or play.

Sholf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2010, 8:45 pm

I think being on the spectrum has profoundly affected my artistic ability, to the point that one would not exist without the other. I put a lot of my analysis of social situations into my writing. My constant drawing could be considered an elaborate stim, a way of calming myself and analyzing stimuli when I'm forced into stressful situations like a classroom or a lecture. During recess in middle school, I would draw and write rather than play with the other kids, because it was less stressful. I would create long running stories and draw all the characters and write chapters about them. When I'm working on art, I'm completely absorbed in it and I often feel confused and "zoned out" when I have to talk to someone afterward.