08 Aug 2023, 10:18 pm

https://bombvomit1979.bandcamp.com/

I tried to make art.
Thank you.

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2023, 10:09 am

It’s kind of weird, I’ve been a music lover for most of my life. I finally got around to making songs and no one, including myself sometimes, wants to listen to them. At least they’re ‘out there’ now and anyone can listen if they choose to.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2023, 1:29 pm

The samples, accoustic elements, guitar, etc. sounds good. On 'Let It Be' you have some sounds come in at 0:42 where it shows you're using your mixing space intelligently as well. The only constructive feedback I might give may be something you'd need more of a band for - like kicking in the drums, pulling back the voice effects for the main verses and chorus (it's great song intro work but difficult to carry a tune from start to finish that way and keep people in).

If you look my stuff up on SoundCloud (5PRYME) you'll see I'm in a similar boat in terms of likes and attention, as are most people. You almost have to be playing out regularly and gaining a bit of status in the scene by those mechanics for people to care what you're doing.

For making music, even one could make their own music for years in Ableton and things like that, it seems like you almost have to find other musicians that want to mix and match, play with concepts, collaborate, remix, otherwise the whole process gets tiring and even more so when and if you start feeling like if it's not breaking surface it's time better spent in other places. I was lucky enough to find one or two people a few years back to do some things but even there we didn't 'play together', it was more like a 'tried and gave up' and thus played side by side or occasionally remixed each other's stuff but that's not quite as motivating as having four or five people you can punt stems to, get something interesting back, and feel like you're part of something properly generative.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2023, 1:37 pm

I really like it. Thanks for sharing. I like the effects you put on your vocals and the general lo-fi-ness of it.

I wish I could make music. I'm a rudimentary guitarist and music doesn't come easy to me but I try. I'm impressed by anyone who can write a song.

I'm sorry you haven't found success with this yet. It doesn't sound too far removed from the sort of stuff I was listening to 20-odd years ago so maybe you're just in the wrong era?

I don't know how you go about getting your music heard by people, I hope you figure it out.

But I heard it, and I liked it a lot.

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2023, 10:32 pm

Thank you so much for your replies and for taking the time to both reply and listen to some of my songs. I really appreciate it.

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2023, 2:03 am

Sometimes I like the songs, sometimes I don’t. I like lo-fi music and I had fun with making them. So, at times I’m satisfied and at times I’m embarrassed by the quality.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 9:24 am

KeepWaiting wrote:
Sometimes I like the songs, sometimes I don’t. I like lo-fi music and I had fun with making them. So, at times I’m satisfied and at times I’m embarrassed by the quality.

Your mixing, instrumentation, and particular having the radio lo-fi vocals with the acoustic guitar works pretty well. When you think of advice anyone gives, particularly if it's pulling in the direction of popular or familiar structure, I'd say don't worry about it unless you're on the fence on a particular compositional decision and if you can't decide to in favor of what'll make it seem more natural or familiar.

Part of the challenge and trade-offs with producing is if you don't edify your own desire to create what you want to it'll lose all joy, at the same time if that also gets stuck in a rut of some kind it's frustrating but that's also where finding collaborators can help, especially if it's someone who likes the moods your making (probably the most important grounding agreement) but has other structural ideas or would want to add instrumental and percussive sections or effects / transitions that you wouldn't think of.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 1:56 pm

KeepWaiting wrote:

I'm like this with my writing. Sometimes I'm proud of it and sometimes embarrassed by it. I think that might be quite normal for people who create things. If you had fun doing it then I think that's probably all that matters.