Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 8:26 pm

This is a question for people who were 18 to 20 at the right time and dug really deep into tail end 1970's and early 1980's music, particularly underground stuff like Suburban Lawns, early industrial, some of the 'post-punk' and psychedelic stuff that would have inspired bands like Perry Farrell's Psi Com (his band before Jane's Addiction), early/mid 80's Faith No More, and really all of the funk and alt rock that lead to grunge.

Aside from a lot of alternative rock and grunge missing links I know there was also a lot of Vangelis type stuff going on at the time and a lot of that stuff I find interesting. It sounds like a lot of the psychedelic synth voyages of the late 60's and 70's were almost at a sort of late maturity where they were starting to go back underground but still had these very refined hippy flavors going on (and wow - talk about the analog synths that just came out around that time).

Someone here might know the zone I'm talking about. Post something if you can find anything juicy - I'm looking to be educated on some of the stuff that was happening while I was learning to walk!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 9:04 pm

Just out of my age range but if you want to search yourself , try the Peel Sessions on YT, this link will take you to the 1980 only Peel Sessions, some real gems there https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ssion+1980

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 9:09 pm

I'm old enough to be Ferr's big sister.

Do you know Hüsker Dü?
Not quite underground but I love them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwOMXfk ... nel=Gilpow

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 10:05 pm

Love this thread

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 4:37 pm

Recommended by a friend:

Minor Threat from D.C.

Suicide Commandos from Minneapolis

Naked Raygun from Chicago

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 4:44 pm

https://youtu.be/JAIOzM7SsMo

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 4:54 pm

^ 1987 so maybe out of the OP's time frame

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 4:56 pm

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 5:02 pm

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 5:05 pm

This?

https://youtu.be/GHhD4PD75zY

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 5:52 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

Sure, That came out in the early 80's

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 6:03 pm

Annie Golden is probably best known these days as Norma in the show Orange is the New Black. She has had many roles over the years including the movie Hair, TV shows, Miami Vice, and Cheers. Most probably do not know she started out as the frontwoman for the New York based Punk/New Wave band The Shirts

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2023, 6:50 am

This is one of those odd cases where I made, never saw any email notifications, and I come back to see ten responses.

TY for the recommenndations. I'll come back through this afternoon to throw some of these on.

Also yes for Minor Threat, Bad Brains etc. for DC. I do know of Hüsker Dü although more from a Youtube journalism special on the band being the 'fastest' punk band at the time.

I'll add 'Baby' because for a 1983 tune it's got all kinds of proto-grunge signals and feels like a missing link between a whole bunch of different things:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2023, 8:29 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
This is one of those odd cases where I made, never saw any email notifications, and I come back to see ten responses.

TY for the recommenndations. I'll come back through this afternoon to throw some of these on.

Also yes for Minor Threat, Bad Brains etc. for DC. I do know of Hüsker Dü although more from a Youtube journalism special on the band being the 'fastest' punk band at the time.

I'll add 'Baby' because for a 1983 tune it's got all kinds of proto-grunge signals and feels like a missing link between a whole bunch of different things:

Suburban Lawns lead singer Su Tissue has not been heard from in almost 40 years. That and her atypical body language has created a small internet cult dedicated to finding out what happened to her. If that is your thing there is a youtube video exploring this.

Seeing her expressionless face and her looking down on the floor predating shoegaze makes me wonder if she is on the spectrum. But as the youtuber said it could have been an artistic statement. Many of the “New wave” acts wanted to be opposite of the smiley face hippies. She should be well into her 60s by now, so like the youtuber said it is obvious she does not want to be found and we need to respect that.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2023, 9:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

TY! These are all pretty smooth.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2023, 9:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Suburban Lawns lead singer Su Tissue has not been heard from in almost 40 years. That and her atypical body language has created a small internet cult dedicated to finding out what happened to her. If that is your thing there is a youtube video exploring this.

Seeing her expressionless face and her looking down on the floor predating shoegaze makes me wonder if she is on the spectrum. But as the youtuber said it could have been an artistic statement. Many of the “New wave” acts wanted to be opposite of the smiley face hippies. She should be well into her 60s by now, so like the youtuber said it is obvious she does not want to be found and we need to respect that.

Yeah, I watched a different video but it was on the same topic - with the guy who made the video asking, in a plea to her if she saw the video, to explain the lyrics to Janitor and that not knowing the meaning was till bothering him.