Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 5:44 pm

Calling all the DJs on the site! Please tell me everything about your work. Do you do it for fun? Do you earn money? What kind of music do you play? Do you produce music? Do you play at clubs? What's it like? How does having AS change being a DJ? Just tell me lots of info and stories.

Thanks! I know that you are out there.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 11:56 am

hello im 20 year old student graduating as car fixer how ever for dj..i do it just for fun and do not earn any money :P
i play mostly trance/techno and yes time to time i do my own mixes too, i also play in "club" its basically house where people can go in and play..they do want at least 30min demo thought, i like it lot mostly because i want to be high when im doing dj stuff so i can "feel the music" and jam with it
and i do believe AS effect the music im playing

http://hotfile.com/dl/53878962/2214fb0/ ... e.mp3.html

and for how its like question...well it depends much how u see it in best nights i find myself f*****g high,its dark and music is pumping but at same time all im only focussing on music and not people jamming....and some people do come and ask for certain popular songs they want to hear so if u ever get in somewhere doing dj stuff don't forget to bring loads of songs that migth be requested :D

AND FOR HOW TO GET IN DJ: just make a "demo" and mail it to clubs/otherplaces u think u can play i think there has a list online about places ...and u can always mail and ask em about it

Last edited by Followthereaper90 on 11 Jul 2010, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

Unfortunately I don't spin, strictly produce at this point. Back in 2000 when I was doing hard trance/acid techno I did live PA a rave that one of my friends through. My real love has been dark/techstep jungle, I've been back at making that since 2005 or so, still working out the technicals and still making progress.

One of these days though I really should give turntables a try again, my friends almost talked me into buying a pair of Technics back in 2000 - almost did but when I borrowed my buddies turntables, even with a good selection oldskool jungle to line up, it didn't seem like there was enough to it to enjoy - I respect people who can line up a good set, I know that if I ever really get serious I'll need to learn how (most producers who enter the scene still get thrown into podcasts and live sets even if its not their primary skill), if the need comes though I'll gladly drop $1,500.00 on turntables and a mixer, until then though I'll keep my money spent on synths and RTAS plug-ins :).

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 6:57 am

I am not actually what you might call a "DJ", but all my friends call me a DJ just because they don't actually know what I do and how I do it.
I remix a lot of old 60s, 70s, 80s and some 90s songs, I avoid big hits because I like to remix old songs that no one knows or likes and make them a House-Club MegaMix.
My page: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Blakc ... l&filter=0

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 5:04 pm

Followthereaper90 wrote:
hello im 20 year old student graduating as car fixer how ever for dj..i do it just for fun and do not earn any money :P
i play mostly trance/techno and yes time to time i do my own mixes too, i also play in "club" its basically house where people can go in and play..they do want at least 30min demo thought, i like it lot mostly because i want to be high when im doing dj stuff so i can "feel the music" and jam with it

and for how its like question...well it depends much how u see it in best nights i find myself f***ing high,its dark and music is pumping but at same time all im only focussing on music and not people jamming....and some people do come and ask for certain popular songs they want to hear so if u ever get in somewhere doing dj stuff don't forget to bring loads of songs that migth be requested :D

AND FOR HOW TO GET IN DJ: just make a "demo" and mail it to clubs/otherplaces u think u can play i think there has a list online about places ...and u can always mail and ask em about it

Hi Followthereaper90! Thanks very much for the info. If you wanted to earn money doing it, would you have to declair yourself self employed and do your own tax? I think that's what you have to do in UK and here in France too. Even if you have other jobs. That's really good that you enjoy it so much. I can't wait to get into it. So, do you think your AS means you can connect with the music better? Thanks for those pieces of advice. Do you use vinyl or CDJ?

Oh, and normally, I'm not so keen on that kind of music, but I really enjoyed your mix :D

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 5:14 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Unfortunately I don't spin, strictly produce at this point. Back in 2000 when I was doing hard trance/acid techno I did live PA a rave that one of my friends through. My real love has been dark/techstep jungle, I've been back at making that since 2005 or so, still working out the technicals and still making progress.

One of these days though I really should give turntables a try again, my friends almost talked me into buying a pair of Technics back in 2000 - almost did but when I borrowed my buddies turntables, even with a good selection oldskool jungle to line up, it didn't seem like there was enough to it to enjoy - I respect people who can line up a good set, I know that if I ever really get serious I'll need to learn how (most producers who enter the scene still get thrown into podcasts and live sets even if its not their primary skill), if the need comes though I'll gladly drop $1,500.00 on turntables and a mixer, until then though I'll keep my money spent on synths and RTAS plug-ins :).

Hi techstepgenr8tion! Thanks for that. I like the more exotic genres like that, too :P I wonder how much you can mix up different genres in a mix?? Anyway, that's really good you're working hard in production. I know what you mean about producers and DJing. I would like to eventually get into the studio and produce my own tunes, but I plan master the turntables first and see if I can get myself know. Also, the energy you can get spinning I think sounds amazing. So, I hope you find yourself on them again soon! I think Antoine Clamaran is a great example. He's a French dj very popular in France. He is always working on new records but still seems to find time for regular gigs and weekly live radio mixes too!

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 5:18 pm

Blake_be_cool wrote:
I am not actually what you might call a "DJ", but all my friends call me a DJ just because they don't actually know what I do and how I do it.
I remix a lot of old 60s, 70s, 80s and some 90s songs, I avoid big hits because I like to remix old songs that no one knows or likes and make them a House-Club MegaMix.
My page: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Blakc ... l&filter=0

Hi Blake_be_cool! Thanks for the info. That sounds really cool. So you make horrible songs into great hits? I would really like to hear some of those. Unfortunately, I could not see a profile with that link. I don't know if it's because I'm in France or what... Do you work on it a lot? Would you like to get into DJing too?

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 12:49 am

rmgh wrote:
Followthereaper90 wrote:

and for how its like question...well it depends much how u see it in best nights i find myself f***ing high,its dark and music is pumping but at same time all im only focussing on music and not people jamming....and some people do come and ask for certain popular songs they want to hear so if u ever get in somewhere doing dj stuff don't forget to bring loads of songs that migth be requested :D

Hi Followthereaper90! Thanks very much for the info. If you wanted to earn money doing it, would you have to declair yourself self employed and do your own tax? I think that's what you have to do in UK and here in France too. Even if you have other jobs. That's really good that you enjoy it so much. I can't wait to get into it. So, do you think your AS means you can connect with the music better? Thanks for those pieces of advice. Do you use vinyl or CDJ?

Oh, and normally, I'm not so keen on that kind of music, but I really enjoyed your mix :D
i prefer mp3 so ill always have my laptop out there i consider mp3 as future and for money earning u could consider yourself part time and most of time u dont have to pay taxes or u can always pretend u dont get paid :P

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:29 am

My website is finally up, Listen to my first remix: http://www.blakconia.webege.com/ :P

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:52 pm

Followthereaper90 wrote:
rmgh wrote:
Followthereaper90 wrote:

i prefer mp3 so ill always have my laptop out there i consider mp3 as future and for money earning u could consider yourself part time and most of time u dont have to pay taxes or u can always pretend u dont get paid :P

Oh right ok. Personally, I don't want to use mp3 and don't think it's "real". Although, I really don't know how it's possible to have all the songs you need with you all the time. And yes, that's a good option lol. I guess work now and then wouldn't really hurt for just cash in hand. Once I'm earning big bucks, I'll have to get myself sorted out :P

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:56 pm

Blake_be_cool wrote:
My website is finally up, Listen to my first remix: http://www.blakconia.webege.com/ :P

Brilliant! I really liked that. Do you enjoy doing it? Is it something you want to do in the future, or just for fun?

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 5:23 pm

rmgh wrote:
Blake_be_cool wrote:

Brilliant! I really liked that. Do you enjoy doing it? Is it something you want to do in the future, or just for fun?

I mostly just do it for fun, like a hobby.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jul 2010, 9:24 pm

I was a DJ for an online radio station years ago. I didn't get paid or anything. I did it cuz I had a lot of time on my hands & it was fun. It was technically a rock alternative station but there was no set format. I played whatever I wanted or what was requested on the chat thingy. I quit doing it when the site lost sponsors & got shut down. I kind of miss it

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 11:18 am

nick007 wrote:
I was a DJ for an online radio station years ago. I didn't get paid or anything. I did it cuz I had a lot of time on my hands & it was fun. It was technically a rock alternative station but there was no set format. I played whatever I wanted or what was requested on the chat thingy. I quit doing it when the site lost sponsors & got shut down. I kind of miss it

That's a real shame. I did a show for a short time with a charity radio station which was great fun. Maybe you could search for more stations to work on, because there's lots out there, especially online.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Jul 2010, 2:39 pm

rmgh wrote:
nick007 wrote:

That's a real shame. I did a show for a short time with a charity radio station which was great fun. Maybe you could search for more stations to work on, because there's lots out there, especially online.

I got a job shortly after so I would of had to quit anyways. I haven't listened to online stations much sense so I'm kind of out of the loop with things; that was like 5 years ago. I mite would like doing it again if I got to do my show like I wanted. I think lots of stations have guidelines about about music format, language ect. My listeners liked me cuz I was random & said some really offensive stuff & had very odd song arrangements; like I'd play a song by a slu*ty 17 year-old pop singer back2back with that Winger song, "She's Only 17". People who dislike pop music like it when the song arrangement is implying things :wink: :twisted:

Did any of you guys have any kewl DJ names :?: I called myself "DJ.DeadEyes". Dying Eyes was a tittle of an RPG game designed for some graphing calculators that I played a lot in high-school & I have low vision

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jul 2010, 6:28 pm

Do you do it for fun?

Yes.

Do you earn money?

No.

What kind of music do you play?