Modern, over-produced music does my head in!

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 9:33 pm

the maximized volume rending of everything is the worst thing, especially when it is done to older recordings like some elvis tracks i heard recently.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 1:40 am

Dnuos wrote:
I thought this was going to be about the loudness war. Music becomes over-compressed as time goes on. "loud" is a misleading title, but technically things are getting louder and louder. There's a limit to loudness, and at some point, it hits the limit. Then it sounds like crap.

i.e., take a modern CD, take an 80's CD, bring them down/up to the same volume, the 80's one is going to be clearer and much better-sounding. Even Extreme Death Metal is applicable in this comparison.

Which isn't always a good thing.

I don't mind over-producing whenever I'm mixing stuff.

What's unfortunate is that there are ways to increase the perceived loudness of a recording in mastering without sacrificing clarity. In fact, you can increase the clarity as well as the sense of stereo wideness using a variety of mastering techniques. Of course, this takes a lot longer and requires the skills of an experienced engineer. Still, you will get people who say that it doesn't sound as loud as x group/performer and it just ends up being crushed by a limiter anyway.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

18 Nov 2010, 6:46 am

I dont listen to most music nowdays. I cant put my finger on it, but it has no soul. Its like they took the personality out of the musicians and replaced them with machines. Also lyrics suck nowdays too. I heard that most are produced by computer.
Most the top stars dont have true musical tallent, just the right looks with a minor amount of musical ability.
I mean compare that to Aretha Franklin. No she did not have the best looks, but she got some serious tallent...and when you are listening to a cd...isn't that what matters?

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2010, 6:56 am

jojobean wrote:
I dont listen to most music nowdays. I cant put my finger on it, but it has no soul. Its like they took the personality out of the musicians and replaced them with machines. Also lyrics suck nowdays too. I heard that most are produced by computer.
Most the top stars dont have true musical tallent, just the right looks with a minor amount of musical ability.
I mean compare that to Aretha Franklin. No she did not have the best looks, but she got some serious tallent...and when you are listening to a cd...isn't that what matters?

I'm not religious but I have to say amen to that.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 10:47 am

I don't mind this style of production once in a while. I think it's interesting to explore the limits. I think variety is important though. My brain operates at multiple levels, intensities, frequencies and densities. This stuff tends to feel like being hit repeatedly with a jackhammer. Sometimes I'd like to be caressed slowly with a feather.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 2:07 pm

jojobean wrote:
I heard that most are produced by computer.

I don't know where you got your information, but I can think of a bunch of artists who write all their lyrics by hand, themselves, and don't use a single instance of a vocoder or pitch correction in their music.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 5:19 pm

Simonono wrote:
Everything today is just awful. I'm proud I stick with the old stuff, the modern noobs don't know what they're missing! :D

And yeah this Cheryl Cole song is one of the worst pieces of crap I have ever heard

As a metal/rock/grunge fan with an open mind, Cheryl Cole makes me want to vomit my spleen up into the gutter, she is nothing but an overrated, average-looking woman with the most banal and yawnsome solo career ever away from those 5 tarts in Girls Aloud. Most mainstream crap in the charts today is instantly forgettable throwaway music of the worst kind, this so-called "grime" movement is utterly terrible. It's just a bunch of knobs trying to speak over processed beats, long live the 70's/80's/90's say i.

Having said that, there are some great bands out there. You just have to dig deep to look for them, away from the mianstream that is.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

franisco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2010, 7:07 am

I like dense music with a lot of layers where the production takes precedent over everything else. Its just another way of looking at composition. The new frontier now that we've heard just about every conceivable melody and chord progression. You wouldn't say that mozart is overproduced

realize: Good music is happening all around you. Open your ears up and please stop jocking the 70's. We've moved beyond that

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxQWT05OYs0&feature=related[/youtube]

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:49 pm

franisco wrote:
please stop jocking the 70's.

I second this notion.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 4:40 pm

Zokk wrote:
franisco wrote:
please stop jocking the 70's.

I second this notion.

Thirded. What is 'jocking'?

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 4:59 pm

Moog wrote:
What is 'jocking'?

To keep promoting or idolizing something or someone, as far as I can tell. Don't quote me on that, though.

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2010, 6:17 am

70's music is one of my special interests, so there's no chance I'm going to stop jocking it :P

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 7:27 am

here here. and there is no way i will stop "jocking" my beloved theatrical wurlitzer music.