Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 2:14 pm

I started this yesterday and currently have 2,218 words written. My protagonist is a high school boy with Asperger's Syndrome who is obsessed with dinosaurs and enjoys drawing and writing. He meets this African-American girl named Nefertari who suffers an inferiority complex because of her race. They're both ostracized by their peers, the boy because of his Asperger's and the girl because she's black. A major theme of the novel is their coming together once they realize they share a common experience as outsiders.

I know this is going to be a challenge because I've never been in a romance myself, although I have bought a romance novel by Nicholas Sparks in order to research how romance novels are supposed to be written. However, at the same time, since I am basing the male protagonist off myself and his experiences on my own, I think his character won't be too difficult to write.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 2:29 pm

Now that's what kind of romance I would like. I don't like romance novels that are syrupy and fake; I like romances that deal with deep problems, and romances between misfits and the misunderstood. Maybe I'll write a romance like that.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 10:34 pm

KissOfMarmaladeSky wrote:
Now that's what kind of romance I would like. I don't like romance novels that are syrupy and fake; I like romances that deal with deep problems, and romances between misfits and the misunderstood.

You can't have a decent story, romance or not, without any kind of conflict. I'm surprised syrupy and fake romances even sell.