Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 2:53 am

You can't go wrong with Kamelot!

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:21 am

Currently, it's probably Megadeth. I'm not too much into the metal scene, but Megadeth's always been great for me, and I've played Rust in Peace to death. Still playing it, for car rides where I need a wake-up. Full volume. :] Ears ringing by the time I get to my first class.

They also had one of my favorite guitarists for the longest time, Marty Friedman, who is just an amazing musician, metal or not. Combining his beautiful soloing with Dave Mustaine's seriously heavy riffage, is pure win. In the same line-up, the bassist (David Ellefson) and the drummer (Nick Menza) were pretty amazing, too. Amazing line-up all around.

At least for me.

So that probably explains my tastes; I love 80's Thrash Metal (though it can get out of that decade, like Rust in Peace was in 1990). However, since I love classical music too, Symphonic Metal appeals to me, though I've yet to get anywhere with that. Since I like jazz and other experimental music, Progressive Metal, too. All-around, I like all types, though. Although I'm not quite partial to Black Metal.

One of my musical goals is to create some kind of Symphonic Thrash Metal genre. Speed Metal with a Symphony behind it? It's been tried before, but not with the best effort. (When Metallica played with a symphony, many of their songs weren't thrashy).

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Mar 2011, 11:49 am

Anaal Nathrakh
Behemoth
Bolt Thrower
Circle of Dead Children
Coffins
Darkspace
Fear Factory
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Heaven & Hell
Human Mincer
Last Days of Humanity
Morbid Angel
Nevermore
Nivathe
The Ruins of Beverast
Sunn O)))
Symphony X
Triptykon
Tyranny
Weeping Birth
Wintersun

...among others. 8)

Submit to the whims of your subconscious.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:46 pm

I mainly dislike metal. Except Earth are a metal band and they are one of my favourite bands.

You cant ignore slayer, sabbath or motorhead either.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:17 am

DIMMU BORGIR!! !
They're my fixation for the moment :P

Strapping Young Lad
Devin Townsend
Kamelot
Leaves Eyes
Within Temptation
Killing Joke (I think most of their post 80's stuff is metal)
Fear Factory

Looking for more Dimmu sounding bands (not just stuff with synth recorded in some tinny studio, I want the real deal orchestral backup)

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2011, 6:21 pm

blue_bean wrote:
DIMMU BORGIR!! !

Strapping Young Lad
Devin Townsend
Kamelot
Leaves Eyes
Within Temptation
Fear Factory

Looking for more Dimmu sounding bands (not just stuff with synth recorded in some tinny studio, I want the real deal orchestral backup)

Maybe this?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCJ0GWIrbw[/youtube]

Or this?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItETLB23Pw&feature=related[/youtube]

Dimmu Borgir is definitely one of a kind. You just can't really compare. Check out my music playlist on youtube. There is a plethora of different styles, so you might find something. My Playlist

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 7:53 pm

My favorite band is Slavland.

My friend laughs at me, but I am eventually going to find someone that knows about Slavland.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 2:06 am

ASMJT wrote:
blue_bean wrote:
DIMMU BORGIR!! !

Strapping Young Lad
Devin Townsend
Kamelot
Leaves Eyes
Within Temptation
Fear Factory

Maybe this?

Or this?

Dimmu Borgir is definitely one of a kind. You just can't really compare. Check out my music playlist on youtube. There is a plethora of different styles, so you might find something. My Playlist

Hmmm, maybe, they sound ok :chin:

Immortal and Susperia were another two I discovered last night. Susperia so far seem good if you like your metal with cleaner(ish) vocals.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 12:24 pm

blue_bean wrote:
ASMJT wrote:
blue_bean wrote:
DIMMU BORGIR!! !

Strapping Young Lad
Devin Townsend
Kamelot
Leaves Eyes
Within Temptation
Fear Factory

Maybe this?

Or this?

Immortal and Susperia were another two I discovered last night. Susperia so far seem good if you like your metal with cleaner(ish) vocals.

i liked the first one more then the second

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2011, 8:17 pm

blue_bean wrote:

Susperia is new to me, I'll have to check them out. Immortal is a classic! The following might be a bit aggressive for what you are looking for.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6zvoX8RAM&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42FonSFvP6c[/youtube]

This was a side project of Astennu and Nagash from Dimmu Borgir. One of the darkest sounds I know:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lr1q58viUY[/youtube]

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 8:04 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Allstar wrote:
Killer tune from HammerFall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmMZBZGBps

never much liked HammerFall

Hammerfall's Man on the Silver Mountain is cool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VsaGkXrJG8[/youtube]

Dnuos wrote:
Currently, it's probably Megadeth. I'm not too much into the metal scene, but Megadeth's always been great for me, and I've played Rust in Peace to death. Still playing it, for car rides where I need a wake-up. Full volume. :] Ears ringing by the time I get to my first class.

They also had one of my favorite guitarists for the longest time, Marty Friedman, who is just an amazing musician, metal or not. Combining his beautiful soloing with Dave Mustaine's seriously heavy riffage, is pure win. In the same line-up, the bassist (David Ellefson) and the drummer (Nick Menza) were pretty amazing, too. Amazing line-up all around.

At least for me.

So that probably explains my tastes; I love 80's Thrash Metal (though it can get out of that decade, like Rust in Peace was in 1990). However, since I love classical music too, Symphonic Metal appeals to me, though I've yet to get anywhere with that. Since I like jazz and other experimental music, Progressive Metal, too. All-around, I like all types, though. Although I'm not quite partial to Black Metal.

One of my musical goals is to create some kind of Symphonic Thrash Metal genre. Speed Metal with a Symphony behind it? It's been tried before, but not with the best effort. (When Metallica played with a symphony, many of their songs weren't thrashy).

Rust in Peace is also one of my all time favourites. I'm aslo a fan of Martin Friedman. However things got a little bad with Risk. And now he works making cartoon and commercials in Japan. :? . Somethings are difficult to understand. I also listened to some material from Cacophony the band Friedman played before joining Megadeth and is also cool. He was quite a virtuoso.

I missed their show here (depression) in their tour supporting Endgame. I didn't like very much Endgame but it is heavier than their previous material . Mustaine is also promising a even heavier next cd. And and I will read his autobiography when I have time.

Recently I saw the Big 4 movie in the theater and it completely ruled. Megadeth also released Rust in Peace Live DVD but I haven't seen that yet. It is a pity that I have a good television with good image at home but not a very good sound system for the tv.

For the present I will buty tickets for Accept's concert and for a concert with Helloween and Stratovarius.

Excelsior!

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 9:29 pm

wefunction wrote:
Back in the day I listened to Judas Priest, Diamondhead, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Danzig, and whatever odd little EPs I could find. 80's Metallica was fantastic and I loved Anthrax.

Diamondhead used to rock in the 80s. They were the Led Zeppelin of the 80s. I think that their songs were so much better than Metallica's covers. What happened to them? I'm a fan of NWOBHM bands. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHUgULCxVwc&feature=related[/youtube]

shadowchyld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2011, 10:39 pm

wefunction wrote:
Back in the day I listened to Judas Priest, Diamondhead, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Danzig, and whatever odd little EPs I could find. 80's Metallica was fantastic and I loved Anthrax. When I'd moved into Industrial, I hung out with the metalheads but there weren't any hardcore girls. They were all into Poison/Skid Row/Slaughter type crap. I mean, those are great boppy tunes and all but I wasn't into being a big-hair scantly-clad girl. So, I adopted some Grunge with my Industrial and listened to a lot of Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, Faith No More, Helmet, and... yeah, Nirvana and Hole, too. I saw Marilyn Manson in concert when he was just opening for Nine Inch Nails... before Trent Reznor got cliche and done.

I still listen to a lot of it in certain doses. But I'm mostly a country girl now (for the past 10 years).

edit to add Danzig. I don't know how I could overlook Danzig.

You. Are. So. Awesome!

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 10:46 am

My favourite band is Burzum by far.

I also like a lot of black metal bands as well as folk metal bands such as Moonsorrow. Finnish melodic death metal is good too (old Children of Bodom especially, their new stuff is... not good)

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 12:24 pm

Burzum wrote:
My favourite band is Burzum by far.

I also like a lot of black metal bands as well as folk metal bands such as Moonsorrow. Finnish melodic death metal is good too (old Children of Bodom especially, their new stuff is... not good)

Theres a guy on here who looks like Varg. He goes by the name Laz.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2011, 12:27 pm

I am into metal bands.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -