Do you listen to one song repeatidly?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Silhouette-Song
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2011, 8:14 pm

I have the habit of listen to ONE song over and over again till the point where my whole family hates it. Eventually I'll find a different song and do it with that one. Right now I can't stop listening to This is Halloween covered by Marilyn Manson. I was wondering if anyone does it? It's so weird :P I've been listening to it for about an hour now today...

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 8:44 pm

Go Do by Jónsi. Itunes says I've listened to it 137 times. My second most listened to song is only like... 32 times.

As well as pretty much everything by Sigur Rós.

Last edited by Jonsi on 28 Feb 2011, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 9:37 pm

Which song I leave on repeat changes relatively often, depending on what I'm into at the time, but the most-played song on my iPod is Leave You Far Behind by Lunatic Calm, played 303 times since I added it to my library.

Recently, I've been looping Skylight by Overseer and We Are by Vertical Horizon pretty often.

Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 10:14 pm

I tend to listen to any song repetitively when I discover one I really like, like right now for instance. I've played it 330 times in 2 weeks according to iTunes. My most played track is nearing 800 plays (might I add it's a 9 minute song)

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2011, 10:16 pm

I can only get about halfway though a song before i change it because i know it by heart. Unless i'm actively engaged in something

QuelOround
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2011, 10:37 pm

yes

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 10:39 pm

Normally I don't listen to anyone else's music but my own. I have hundreds of original songs in my head, and spontaneously come up with new tunes all the time.

However, for some reason, the 1965 Beatles song Help! fascinates me. My housemate and my daughter both hate that song. There were times when I would listen to it all night with headphones on, sometimes slowed down to half speed, sometimes sped up to 1.4 or more. For about three or four years I would frequently play along to it on guitar for several hours at a time, many hours each day, day after day, week after week, month after month. I could "fake" the song and figured out the most tricks of how to play it the first few months, then after that sometimes it would be six months or a year before I would realize how to play another part closer to the original. I've also listened to and played along with many covers of this tune by other artists, including folk, punk and metal versions of this song, but I like the original version by the Beatles the most.

Help! is a short song, and in Windows Media Player when one sets it to repeat it lasts about two minutes twenty seconds including the time after it ends and before it starts again. This translates to about three times in seven minutes, or about twenty-five times an hour. In four hours I can play along to this song one hundred times, and I have done that many times. I think the longest I ever played it non-stop was six hours straight, playing my guitar along with it every time. I play John Lennon's rhythm part mostly but also play George Harrison's spiraling arpeggio riff at the end of each chorus (where John just taps on his guitar to keep time). Sometimes I play my own lead riffs.

In 2008 I wrote an essay about a possible metaphysical interpretation of its lyrics at Help as metaphysics. On December 13, 2009 I recorded myself playing to it for about the umpteen thousandth time in several years, and posted the result in a YouTube video. I haven't played the song nearly as much the past couple years as I did from 2005 to 2009, but in 2010 I had two revelations of how to better play the intro and the third verse.

I play the song a little better now than what is recorded in the folowing YouTube video, especially the music for the intro and the third verse. I also sing much better now than anything yet recorded of me or posted anywhere. I do like my original interpretation of the second verse in this cover version. My guitar plays some of the vocal melody while playing the rhythm. I really need some quality studio time with somebody who has good recording equipment and knows what they are doing, not so much for this song but for the hundreds of original songs I've written most of which have never been recorded yet. If you like the YouTube video, please give it a high rating. If you don't like, please don't give it a low rating, lol. Like I said, I plan to re-record it and get a better version up someday.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x31RbJ4pr3E[/youtube]

Last edited by TheBicyclingGuitarist on 03 Mar 2011, 3:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 10:44 pm

Yes. I think I figured out I've listened to Title and Registration by Death Cab for Cutie way over 1,000 times. With most songs it's not that bad though, that's just my favorite and it's very soothing and repeatable. Sad in a pretty lullaby way.

More intense songs are exhausting to listen to over and over again even though they may be great. Any song that raises adrenaline I guess I mean. If I'm going to get scientific about it.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2011, 11:39 pm

To Live and Die in LA (Wang Chung)

Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes (Beck)

Plainsong (The Cure)

INTJ.

K3inMitl3id
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2011, 1:40 am

Yea, especially if it's a new song I just found out about.

Walter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2011, 7:24 pm

Yes indeed, when the song is new i tend to repeat it till the flavour is gone.

Nicholas Lens - Eva

Bill_Bailey
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2011, 1:19 am

All the time. If I can't listen to it, I walk around singing it until everyone around me wants to kill me. After repeated listens, sometimes it's not so great anymore and there's this feeling of sadness, like I've lost something dear to me...
I'm trying to get myself to hate Nobody's Daughter by Hole because Courtney Love is a murderous whore so I bought it off iTunes and put it on repeat. So far it seems to be working. This is the first time I've deliberately tried to hate a song with overkill.

Last edited by Bill_Bailey on 05 Mar 2011, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 2:10 am

Yeah I do that every once in a while. I love when I find a song that I don't get tired of.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 3:49 am

I listen to songs repeatedly until I get tired of them and can't stand them anymore.

My Top Three Most Listened to Songs:

1) Song: "She'd Rather Be With The DJ"
Artist: Hardknox
Play Count: 471

2) Song: "Ligger Med Varandra"
Artist: DJ Auzern
Play Count: 312

3) Song: "Camilla"
Artist: Basshunter
Play Count: 237

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2011, 5:53 pm

Yes I do that, and it probably drives people around me nuts.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 8:14 pm

Yes, it is a habit of mine.