Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2010, 5:33 pm

Mine is the Black Album, Masters of Puppets and Rides and Justice for all

Papa_Smurf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2010, 6:41 pm

Ride the Lightning is my favorite, with Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All ultra-close behind (the latter is one of the most underrated metal CDs ever imo). Black Album has a couple sweet songs, but I've never been able to get into it on the level of their older stuff.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 6:43 pm

Look - dog poop! Which turd do you like best? :roll:

The only band to ever get a recording contract who were worse than Meat-a-licka, were Accept. They actually blew harder. Quite a feat. You can throw Black Flag on that pile for good measure. I'd include Iron Maiden, too, but their first album was actually tolerable. Only the first one.

I'd rather be strapped to a chair and force fed Plasmatics, Dead Kennedys, and Sex Pistols for a month. At least I'd chuckle once in a while. If you don't have talent, at least have a sense of humor.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 7:26 pm

Black Flag, Metallica, and Iron Maiden... Three great bands. Goddamn, Willard.

Anyway.

1. Master of Puppets
2. Kill 'Em All
3. And Justice for All
4. Ride the Lightning

Hard to rank because they'll all masterpieces.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 8:17 pm

Musically, going to have to go with Ride the Lightning. Fade to Black, Ride the Lightning, and Creeping Death have some of Metallica's best solos. The Call of Ktulu, is a masterpiece. For Whom the Bell Tolls is a classic, Escape has a few good melodies, and the other two have the thrashiness they're known for. Fade to Black's also pretty amazing.

Master of Puppets comes up close in second. Cliff had some brilliant compositions, and some songs were really good. Then is Kill 'em All, which isn't really that great musically, but makes for great running/exercising/working out music. And Justice For All is pretty good, in fourth. Nice progressive guitar work, but where's the bass? Still, they're all great albums.

Then in fifth is The Black Album... they still were holding onto some talent at the time. Just a little bit left. Worse than the past four albums, but still decent. Then everything else after is trash, even Death Magnetic and it's ear-bleeding production. Cliff Burton was the guy keeping Metallica great. IMO, when he died, they've only been on a downhill course.

:\ I analyze music too much.

Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2010, 9:09 pm

I would probably go with Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets as my favorite Metallica album. On the one hand, Ride the Lightning has some of the best solos that I have ever heard, whilst Master of Puppets is a lot more raw, has a lot more aggression and straight out thrashiness within the songs in general.

...And Justice for All is the most progressive album that Metallica had, and seemed to have the best and most poignant pieces of social commentary within it.

Kill 'em All was a good metal album, and is in my #3 spot because, though its good, it's pretty standard and normal for metal albums of that time period.

Death Magnetic was basically a mish mash of ...And Justice for All and Master of Puppets done for the modern metal audience. I thought that this album was good, but marred by appeal to a general audience and

The Black Album was ok... but was a bit too slow and commercial in some places. "The God that Failed," is probably my favorite song off of that album.

Load, Reload, and St. Anger were just some hard rock pieces of crap that I have only listened to twice each.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 9:25 pm

The Black Album.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 5:49 am

...And Justice For All

Complex, striking, and it's never been bettered. Hell, they can't even play the majority of the songs live.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:41 pm

Cheeseroyale34 wrote:
Load, Reload, and St. Anger were just some hard rock pieces of crap that I have only listened to twice each.

I'm surprised you got through St. Anger in 2 listens. :wink:

I've been listening to St. Anger recently, and I think it's alright actually. It's ok in most parts, but it's missing something that made the other 5 albums work. You know which ones I mean right? :)

The only reason why the snares are trash cans is to do with the "raw approach" of their music. I've got a remastered edition of the album which someone made, which removes the BRICKWALL noise of it all, and makes it much easier to listen to. Same with their recent album "Death Magnetic". I listened to these 2 remastered albums, and said to myself "loudness, what loudness?"

But still, I agree with you, regarding Load, and Reload are throwaways in my opinion. But Garage Inc. on the other hand, is a great comeback...of sorts to those disappointing albums. :)

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2011, 2:51 pm

i like every metallica album. I love the emotional hard rock sound of load/reload, and the messy punky sound of st-anger. 2nd and 3rd will always be the definative though. i havent given the latest one enough of a listen but it sounded very good and thrashy.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 2:55 pm

Ride The Lightning

TigerBlood
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2011, 3:00 pm

Master Of Puppets

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 5:55 pm

Master of Puppets! And I think ...And Justice For All was their last great album.

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2011, 12:04 pm

Death Magnetic...AWESOME!

Al-Bone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Xeno wrote:
Master of Puppets! And I think ...And Justice For All was their last great album.

This.

I will add that the Black Album is a good metal disc, but it's where the quality started to go downhill. I still hate 'Nothing Else Matters'.

Load/Reload have their moments. Take the best songs from each and you'd have a decent album.

St. Anger sounds like ass, but I realize now that without it, Death Magnetic (a solid album) would not exist.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 8:23 am

kill em all.

early metallica instrumentation and compositions are great, but hetfield's voice is so gross