My shrink is learning about my special interest.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 10:11 am

I have an intense fascination with the first movement of Beethoven's ninth symphony and I told my psychologist. I mentioned that I love Beethoven as a composer and the first movement of the 9th is my "emotional mirror" of sorts. Since then, she has listened to the recording. I told her that the recording sounds better on good speakers, so she took the initiative to listen to the recording again on her home computer. In addition, she also is reading a biography on Beethoven.

So my question: is my shrink really that awesome? Do anyone else's therapists research their special interests?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 11:03 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Is my shrink really that awesome?

I am impressed. In one way or another, she has been influenced by you and has taken action upon her desire and willingness to investigate a little bit and learn!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 2:37 pm

Your shrink truly is awesome! The two I had never looked into my special interests.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 2:47 pm

What your shrink is doing is very commendable. She is learning about your special interest, so that she can use it to work with you and help you better. Then again, classical music is a very "good" obsession topic, well-accepted by nearly all older people and many younger people. If your obsession topics were, say, Saw films, your therapist's reaction could be very different. But still, enjoy the fact that your therapist is willing to work with you, rather than against you.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 2:30 am

Never saw a therapist, and the only mental health professionals I've ever seen were,
1) A school psychologist who had misdiagnosed me as hyperactive when I was in Kindergarten. I recall he yelled at me because I was more interested in discussing his collection of sea shells than with stacking blocks,
and,
2) The psychologist who had diagnosed my daughter with PDD-NOS, then me with Aspergers when I was already in my forties. I had discussed my interests in history and horror fiction with him, though the few sessions had involved properly diagnosing me, rather than trying to delve long term into my psyche.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

mathesis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2011, 2:17 pm

I love Beethoven. This is my favorite Beethoven piece:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0Mp7LFI-k[/youtube]

Do you like it?