Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 2:29 pm

The two stolen Edvard Munch paintings have been recovered. One, The Scream, has little damage. The other one, Madonna, has minor scrapes. It is thought they can be repaired.

I always liked The Scream, it nicely summed up how I often feel.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 4:11 pm

It's a painting open to interpretation, and many take it to be the figure screaming.
But the person is shown in shock, defending his ears from the sound:

"Munch wrote of the painting: "I was walking along a path with two friends - the sun was setting - suddenly the sky turned blood red. I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city.

My friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety - and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature." (from BBC news)

The World is screaming.
Is that an even greater horror than that an individual driven to the same?

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 5:01 pm

i like the scream
is it screamign or eing screamed at?
and would it be an artwork of note if it was named somethign else?

lae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 1:41 pm

Emettman wrote:
It's a painting open to interpretation, and many take it to be the figure screaming.
But the person is shown in shock, defending his ears from the sound:

"Munch wrote of the painting: "I was walking along a path with two friends - the sun was setting - suddenly the sky turned blood red. I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city.

My friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety - and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature." (from BBC news)

The World is screaming.
Is that an even greater horror than that an individual driven to the same?

I had not read about it. That's really cool. I had always interpreted it on a very simple level, and this makes it much more interesting. Interesting thoughts from Donkey, too.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 3:18 pm

lae wrote:
I had not read about it. That's really cool. I had always interpreted it on a very simple level, and this makes it much more interesting. Interesting thoughts from Donkey, too.

An ancient debate!
Should a piece of artwork be understood for what it is, and the reactions it provokes,
Or is information about it's background, context and the artist's intentions and understanding also important? If the former, ignorant responses are as valid as informed ones, and if the former, sufficient captions in words would make vast inroads into the need for the piece of art: just read the essay!

I really like Turner's "The Fighting Temeraire", but my thoughts and feelings are enhanced by knowing certain facts and details about it which are not present on the canvas itself.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 11:40 pm

Sometimes I like to read about works of art. Sometimes I just like to react to them.