Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

shaybugz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

I participated in NaNoWriMo last year, and won, leaving me with an incomplete novella-to-be. I titled it Stuck in Estrogen's Funhouse and while I usually write young adult fiction, this one happens to be more adult in nature, and falls under the category of Chick Lit. Though it's not 'fluffy' by any means.

I completed this novella recently, at 48600 words and would like people to read it/tell me their thoughts on it. Here's the back cover blurb:

Quote:
My name is Marti MacCane and I’m a bartender at the hottest night club around. The best, actually. I’m happily married to my husband, Spencer, and my life has been pretty awesome, until lately. Lately I’ve been moody; tired- no- that’s not quite right… exhausted, had to go to the bathroom way too much and just overall a pain in mine, and everyone else’s, butt. Oh, and also, I’ve kinda been falling for this younger guy I’m supposed to be training… so I guess life really isn’t all that fantastic.

My doctor says that I’m possibly experiencing some weird puberty thing or ‘maturing a bit before most of my peers do.’ I don’t know about that. I look fat and feel awful. He insists that estrogen is to blame… if so, then I somehow managed to get stuck in Estrogen’s funhouse. And it’s really crazy there.
Someone get me out?
Please?

The "product description" that would go under amazon if it were published would read:

Quote:
Marti is a bartender at a local nightclub who is often said to be the best around. When she's not chatting up the locals and pouring drinks, she's spending time with her husband, Spencer. But lately Marti has been feeling very off. She's tired, moody (or so her husband says), and goes through random intense aversion to food and then intense cravings. And on top of it all, despite being happily married she finds herself falling for the young college upper-grad student who decides to take up bar tending as supplement income next to the work he does for his sister's photography. With everything being so out of control the last thing she needs is for her marriage to fall apart too.

And the description on my site says:

Quote:
Marti is a young bartender who is happily married to her husband, Spencer. She’s 25 years old and recently decided to go off of birth control. Shortly after not re-newing her shot, her body starts behaving oddly, dragging her through all of the symptoms of pregnancy, all without testing positive (once she figures out how to take the stupid tests that is.). Along with her body going wacko, Marti meets a young photographer, Erik Stanford, who is still in college, though he’s an upper-grad. He becomes a frequent visitor to the nightclub that she works at, and even applies for a position there, becoming her co-worker. Marti soon finds herself falling for Erik even though she’s happily married to Spencer, completely messing up her mind. Is she pregnant? If not, what is going on with her body? You’ll have to read the story to find out how it ends.

Please PM me if you would be interested in reading it or would like more information :-)

Read my writing here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/69040
Visit my website: http://www.shaynagier.com
Follow me on twitter: twitter.c