Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 7:15 pm

Well? I love the organ myself. There's just something about the sound that reaches into me and just pulls me in. And all keyboards I buy must have an organ option or I will get rid of it. I just can't have a keyboard without that setting.

But anyway, I really love jazz organs especially. I like how they're a little more bassy than the more normally used church organ. And God, I love putting that sound through reverb. Really makes the instrument sound magical.

I was just wondering if there were any people here who also love the organ like I do or play the organ as a main instrument.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jul 2011, 9:36 pm

Yes, I am an organist. The organ was my first musical instrument. Although I play numerous instruments, the organ is the one I seem to play the most. I am the church organist at a local Methodist church. It is a Rogers with midi---I have it connected to a Yamaha keyboard. I also have the Miditzer theatre organ program in a computer that I also run through the Rogers at church---a sampled Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ.

My own personal collection of organs is as follows:

1948 Hammond CV with a Hammond tone cabinet
1961 Hammond A-102 with a 1957 tall Leslie speaker
1966 Hammond E-100 with a standard size Leslie speaker
1960s Farfisa Compact Duo portable (2 manual and pedals) Italian model

My two main styles of playing are the 1920s theatre organ style and the jazzy style.

I love playing the organ. I am happy to talk to someone like you that also loves it.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 10:15 pm

I'm mostly a beginner at the organ, but I know how to play the piano and harmonium, so I can generally jam on it and sound good. I'm mainly a string instrument player though (ukulele, bass, violin and the like). My first 'organ' is in fact a keyboard with an organ voice, but I would love to get an old fashioned organ. Love the sound.

I played organ and bass for the jazz band last semester at school. It was an experience. :D

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 4:08 am

I've got a Yamaha B4 and was getting quite good at playing it... until the electrics started playing up :(

Now it lives in the shed and I am in the hope that it is repairable...

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 7:16 am

I've never heard of an organ-less keyaboard. Even beginner YAMAHA keyboards have a crappy organ sound incorporated into them. Hammond is a well known organ/keyboard manufacturer. If you're interested they are going to be releasing the SK1, a compact keyboard that will feature probably one of the best organ immitations (alongside with being a standard keyboard with other sounds). I can't tell how good it is because it's not out yet where I live. But it's pretty affordable so you might just visit a music store and check it out. Another keyboard with professional organ sounds is the Nord Stage 2. My advice to you is to get one of these keyboards or any other professional keyboard if you want real good organ sounds. If you're getting a real vintage organ it's not just gona cost you more, but has far less features (unlike a versatile stage piano with synth options, multiple real life sounds and various effects). But hey, a real organ has some darn good looks, sound quality and if you have the money there is no reason why you shouldn't have both.

The Farfisa is a great sounding organ as said here but I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Vox, which is IMO on of the best organs. It gained popularity due to the song "I'm a Believer" (The original song from the 60s, not the Shrek version). It was also featured in "House of the Rising Sun" and can be seen in the clip. If you want to check out another song with great organ sound, see "Wake me up before you go-go" by George Michael - although I've no idea what organ is used there and I'd be happy if someone could tell me its name.

Keys is my main instrument BTW. :D

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 9:34 am

This is similar to mine:

Same series but mine is older and has less buttons. Plus I expect this one actually works :roll:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

My brother had a Hammon L-100, but it needed oil (to run the main cylinder). Not being too knowleeable, he put 10w-30 in there...sigh...great stage effect, clouds of billowing smoke, but that was the end of that.
I had a Crumar Tocatta for many a year, but had to sell it. Wish I had it back...

silver22
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2011, 4:29 am

I can't play except very simple stuff but I'm obsessed with the organ and would love to learn. I love organ and piano music, I listen to it all the time. Organ music has the most hypnotising sound. Bach's organ works & Beethoven piano sonatas... there is a heaven.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 12:21 am

I've been listening to organ music for years but only recently have they become a particular interest of mine. I trigger my computer's sound with a KORG SV-1. I've used Hammond B3 sounds in the past but my new interest is in church organs. I have Hauptwerk software. My current organs are as follows:
St. Anne's Moseley - British
Oosterwijtwerd - Dutch
Roquemaure - French
Prudhoe Methodist Organ

Since I come from a piano background I could only handle one manual for now. Some of those keyboards with 3 and 4 manuals look intimidating as hell, not to mention all those foot pedals and stops!
Garritan has an okay organ sample set, but you can't choose the settings. The sound is also smooth, almost anti-aliased and without grain, much unlike one of the Hauptwerk sampled organs.
There is a church near here. If I learn a few bits on the organ, I'll pop in and ask them if I can try theirs out.

NoteforNote
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2013, 10:07 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt8RQNC07Ic[/youtube]

This is a video of me playing a Model Pipe Organ made from an organ building company called Parsons. Enjoy!

"Your future has not been written yet, your future is what you make of it" - Emmet Brown

" A minor third, is a major sixth in inversion. A major third is a minor sixth in inversion. A perfect fourth is a perfect fifth in inversion yeah" - David Newman

"feelings are not facts" - A therapist