Other existences in Imaginary worlds

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2010, 3:12 am

Hi,

Welcome to the Other world. =D

I just created this thread for us writers to exchange ideas and tips in our imaginary worlds.

Mine is Victorian/Edwardianish in manners and art, modern in science and tech. People's dressing is somewhat Edwardianish and there is a great political shift. A big focus on science and rationalism.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2010, 3:55 am

Cool post...

Mine is an overcrowded, overpopulated industrial city, nestled on mudflats in a jungle state which is ruled by communists. The native inhabitants and other races of humans live there, the capitalists hide out in small numbers trying to overthrow the leaders, so do the environmentalists who are all mad (but if they were put on Earth they wouldn't be mad... it's just the fact that they're outnumbered). People speak all sorts of languages from english to the natives' language, it is set somewhere either in the industrial era, 1930s, or 1980s. Not a particular rich city, people either live way out in the suburbs, or crowded in the CBD or on the street. Science is fairly modern but there's not much use for it because it would mean upgrading the entire city networks of diesel trains and overhead power lines etc, people mainly just have a tv and a computer. People of all sorts of religions live there, the natives have a god called Sty who is the opposite of the christian god - he created the world over 4.6 billion years. Apparently Sty created the atom of political power who all the capitalists and what not try to find (like the holy grail i guess) but the communists 'claim' to have it. The environmentalists and other minority groups try to take over control of the state...mainly my stories are based around the people who live there and not so much the people who run the place.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 8:38 am

Mine is set in the 1800's and early 1900's Here are some things you should know about my world:

1. We have New Wave music in the 1880's.
2. People dressed like they did back then
3. The corset is king
4. We have modern aircraft, like Boeing 747's, 757's, etc
5. Jet aircraft didn't get popular until the 1850's after the Creedonian Civil War
6. Both the army and navy put Britain on edge.
7. It is a volunteer army/navy/air force
8. women have had the vote since 1800 and can serve in the military
9. There are 40 states
10. The United states is a backwater to our country
11. We have RADAR and use it for weather,ship tracking(we followed R.M.S. Titanic on RADAR until it disappeared)
12. Boarding schools are very, very popular
13. Corporal punishment is used in said schools. For guys, you get beaten with a cane rod. For girls, you either get the cane, or they lock you in your room. They will also cut your hair as humiliation(so, you better watch out ladies. Don't piss off the staff.)
14. You'll find your name blacklisted from guest lists if you do a socially unacceptable thing(Admiral Bukater had his struck for about a year after he stole the general's wife.)
15. Men wear bowler,derby, and fedora hats. To make a statement on just how cool you are, you wear a turkey or falcon feather in your hat(During his party days, the admiral hat a bowler hat that was LOADED with feathers that the women placed there)

I'll have more later

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 1:04 pm

My world is set millennia in the future. Earth is no longer inhabitable; what few humans are left live in satellite stations or colonized planets in a remote solar system. Humans have diplomatic ties with four other alien species, and they're slowly moving towards a unified currency to ease interspecies trade. There is, however, a treaty that allow each civilization to keep some information about itself secret, and those secrets are the most coveted goods there are.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2010, 6:06 am

With the small risk of revealing my true identity - I am an exhibiting artist - here is a painting I did of a couple of my people:
Its from my AE's facebook page.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2010, 1:04 am

Cad wrote:
With the small risk of revealing my true identity - I am an exhibiting artist - here is a painting I did of a couple of my people:
Its from my AE's facebook page.

Nice! They look like real comics.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2010, 4:08 am

Villette wrote:
Nice! They look like real comics.

Thanks, that's my aim!

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

18 Jun 2010, 5:05 am

I've been working for a while on an imaginary city and environs. The technological level is sort of steampunk, but with an organic communication system, and biotech so advanced that you get little backstreet parlors doing illegal genetic stuff. There are people of lots of different races and cultures, including some native peoples who were there centuries ago and are still doing their shamanic thing in the heart of the city. There's a big stinky lake/harbor, a rickety network of railways, an underground labyrinth of bars and clubs and magical supply stores, whores and tattooists and prize-fighters and all kinds of weird religious cults. I have a guy stuck in the middle of this who's a club bouncer and part-time mage who goes round investigating various murders, with the help of his sidekicks, a street doctor who works among the poorer classes, and a girl from out of town, a musician, who had a mystical experience that left her impervious to drowning.

Cad, I love your comics. That one with the blue background has a nice nod to the damned guy in Michelangelo's Judgement on the Sistine Chapel roof...was that intentional?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 1:08 am

My current imaginary world (which as of right now doesn't have a name) has taken about half a year to crystallize into its present form. It is basically a juxtaposition of a typical fairytale setting and a cyberpunk setting. All the gritty cyberpunk stuff happens in the (unnamed) inner city, while the light-hearted fairytale stuff happens in the (unnamed) surrounding lands (including forests, mountains, meadows, etc) which haven't been affected by technology, since the people who dwell in those parts prefer to use magic to solve problems. Most of the characters who live in my imaginary world are taken from about 19 different movies I enjoy, but there are quite a few original characters too. Characters such as those from Repo! The Genetic Opera or The Rocky Horror Picture Show live in the cyberpunk part, while characters such as those from Alice in Wonderland or The Princess Bride live in the fairytale part. As a general rule of thumb, the cyberpunk characters tend to be antagonistic while the fairytale characters tend to be protagonistic. There are exceptions, of course.

There are several different ways I can picture my imaginary world and its inhabitants:

1. The Anime Way - Since I spent many years as an anime fan, I was able to train my mind's eye to be able to picture anime-style artwork and scenes on its own, to the point where it's so vivid it's as though I'm actually watching it. Even though my interests currently revolve around live-action movies, I almost always view the characters and my imaginary world in an anime style, because that's what is easiest for my mind to process. Plus, I think it's fun picturing what my favorite live-action characters look like as cartoons with big, shiny eyes and over-stylized hair!

2. The Videogame Way - This way is a lot of fun, and I find myself using it often. I make up a videogame based on my world and play it in my mind. There's a 3D fighting game version and an RPG version. There are a ton of different characters to choose from, but I typically play as either my alter ego or her twin sister, Alice.

3. The Live-Action Way - I picture my imaginary world and its characters the way I saw them in the films - Live-action. This is my least favorite way to picture my imagination as it uses the least amount of creativity and is harder to process due to how detailed it is and how difficult it is to remember all of the different facial expressions used by the actors/actresses.

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2010, 10:57 pm

Mine overlaps somewhat with our own. Parts of it are in realistic but fictional towns in my native rust belt, but there are vampires, werewolves, creeping abominations, zombies, itinerant bards, and traders all comming over from across the line. My monsters are evil, not sparkly, so there are slayers, some with oddly extended lifespans, who try to protect solid, small town people from the inhuman horrors that wander around at night. They are funded by a dark amusement park. Some of them have been at it so long that their names have faded away and they get Dracula refference handles. More than one of them would have been called Aspies if the diagnosis had been around earlier. On the other side, there are ugly, lawless, chaotic border towns that resemble the Wild West. Further west across the border lies a kingdom of vampires. On the other side of that is an army said to have been divinely commissioned to contain them. Most of its troops are misfit teens who got lost or escaped from slavery and joined up to avoid starvation when they ran across encampments on the otherwise-empty plains. It is kind of steampunk with some magic. Musical instruments become powerful weapons. The army provides a home for lost kids and, for some, renewed contact with their families in their native worlds, a comming of age experience, and teaches many useful qualities and skills even as it requires them to risk their lives daily and live under rough conditions. They serve for seven years, and then they often choose to cross the eastern ocean of that world. They take little with them and rarely return, although traders do sometimes cross the Great Sea bringing remarkable goods, including weapons that are useful on the plains, for those that can afford them. Further west is a land called Delok or Deloch depending on the local dialect. It is basically a kind of purgatory. Heaven, Hell, and inumerable other worlds, of which at least twenty known to my characters are home to humans, border it.

RonWren
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jul 2011, 1:37 am

My imaginary world is kind of like my normal world, except there's less people, houses are tall and have stacked rooms and are far apart from each other. My school is layed out with it's normal floor plan, but all the buildings are tall and have castle towers, just like Hogwarts from Harry Potter. Everything looks like an anime, or a 16-bit video game, or both. Also, there's either 16-bit or Vocaloid music playing in the background like a movie soundtrack.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

I've just started a short story which is set in a fictional world where humans coexist with dinosaurs. The humans in my story's world are black people with golden yellow eyes; their culture is not based on any particular real-world ones, but ancestor veneration and totemism feature prominently in their religion.