Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2006, 9:02 pm

In honor of banned books week, I've decided to start a thread about it. What banned books have you read? Here's some of mine:
Harry Potter series
Are You There God, It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
1984 by George Orwell
Fahreheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Flowers for Algernon by David Keyes
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

krex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 9:33 pm

Those are great books...I had no idea they were banned?I never read the Harry Potter series(42)but I would have as a kid,probably.The rest of the books I have read...some of them were read in classes....when were this banned...or where?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

05 Sep 2006, 10:19 pm

Where were they banned at?

I've read all the Harry Potter books except for the last one and I have read Fahreheit 451. I tried reading 1984 but couldn't enjoy it because I didn't have a clue what was going on in the story and it was boring too.

06 Sep 2006, 12:10 am

In college, music was banned, books were not; the first book i was assigned to read my freshman year was Lord Of The Flies.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 1:48 am

Fortunatly, I live in a Country that does not ban very much.

*starts singing Oh Canada*

lae
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 2:37 am

I've read most of them at some point. Are they being banned in schools? I've seen them at the library, my second home.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 6:30 am

for some reason many books i am interested in seem to have been banned at some time or another. most of burroughs early books were banned in the us and the uk, as was i think jg ballard's atrocity exhibition. wilhelm reich's mass psychology of fascism was burnt, along with the rest of his work, when he was imprisoned. you can buy them all these days though. i think hakim bey's temporary autonomous zone may have been banned at some point possibly...

but i assume you are talking about books banned in schools. actually, my higher english teacher gave me copies of 1984 and brave new world to read. and they had fahrenheit 451 in the school library. i think the uk education system may be slightly less fascist.... :)

glavin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2006, 3:09 pm

I've read all of the Harry Potter books and 1984. Some banned books which haven't been mentioned yet are The Giver and the His Dark Materials trilogy (the latter being my absolute favorite series of all time).

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 5:08 pm

rocklobster wrote:
In honor of banned books week, I've decided to start a thread about it. What banned books have you read? Here's some of mine:
Harry Potter series
Are You There God, It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein(teachers in my elementary school always chose that book to read to us)
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
1984 by George Orwell
Fahreheit 451 by Ray Bradbury(Wrote a book report on it)
Flowers for Algernon by David Keyes(Forced to read this book and watch the movie in high school)
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley(Forced to read this book and watch the movie in high school)
The Giver(Forced to read in High School)

Funny how banned books are now required reads in the school system.

Drzava
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2006, 6:31 pm

I don't think any books have ever been banned in Sweden, but if I can use book banned in America, here's a slew:
Animal Farm
Brave New World
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Of Mice and Men
Slaughterhouse 5
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Naked Lunch
Harry Potter
Clockwork Orange
American Psycho
Lolita
Catcher in the Rye

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 9:07 pm

A lot of books were once banned in Australia like Lolita and Lady Chatterley's Lover. This was occurring as late as the 1950's and early 1960's.

06 Sep 2006, 11:42 pm

I wonder if any books have been banned in the USA. if they have, what are they?

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 2:24 am

likedcalico wrote:
I wonder if any books have been banned in the USA. if they have, what are they?

If? There is a degree of innocence there, methinks...

http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section ... tID=136590

Not that many books have been banned nationally in the USA compared to many other countries. From what I've read the main force acting is demands for the removal of books from libraries in particular schools/districts, or the objecting to setting certain titles as *required* reading for particular educational courses.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 11:29 pm

Harry Potter series

Fahreheit 451

The Giver

Catcher in the Rye

Of Mice and Men

His Dark Materials series

(The ones above have, ironically, been some of my favorite books)

Animal Farm (though I didn't want to, it was required for English class)

The Da Vinci Code (I THINK this was banned from somewhere, but I could be wrong)

Some others, but I'm unsure what books have been banned and what ones haven't.

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2006, 8:48 am

The Da Vinci Code hasn't been banned to my knowledge. But I think people (especially Christians with weak faith) should at least exercise caution with the book. Even though the book is fictional, more impressionable types have "fallen" for it.

VesicaPisces
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Sep 2006, 1:40 pm

I think i read somewhere that he was coaxed into stating it was mostly fictional. Much of it is based on supposed fact. Many of the allusions in his works are based on real world juxtapositions. Are you absolutely certain that you are not the impressionable one? This can be argued both ways I suppose. People will tend to believe what builds upon what they already believe. Any way, I recommend this book to everybody, especially people who have begun to question their existence.