Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

blackmetal83092
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2011, 12:40 am

Being a musician for 5 years, I've had quite my ups and downs trying to get people together to play music. Many times, I find my fellow musicians apathetic, from February 2009 to September 2009, I took a break from playing to focus on school. Lately my issue has been Metalcore music....yeah, sounds kind of over-done, right? Sorry if my sarcasm spilled out there, but honestly I really don't like the music. However, in the Midwest, Metalcore is the huge trend, almost to the point where the words, "simplicity, melody, and harmony" have become completely dirty, and don't even say, "Let's just play what we feel". Many musicians are even to the point where they are playing nothing but Metalcore and refuse to play any other type of music. It's frustrating and sometimes depressing to think of it. "I love playing music, but I'm surrounded by people who if I try to come up with original ideas, they look at me as if I've just killed a kitten". Music has always been a very central part of my life, and I feel like a part of me is missing when I'm not involved in it. I take it as seriously as school and work. But how am I supposed to play when there's not really anybody to jam with?

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 2:21 am

What the hell is metalcore? Can you link me some?

As for how you're supposed to play when there's nobody out there to play with... well, you can't. Best you can do is keep looking for people. Might have to broaden your search a bit, though it may not be ideal.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 2:47 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
What the hell is metalcore? Can you link me some?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XVbfDb-NI[/youtube]

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
As for how you're supposed to play when there's nobody out there to play with... well, you can't.

You can. I can name several one-man bands, my username being one of them. OP: Have you not considered a one-man project?