Page 4 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Does your taste in music isolate you?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 81 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 106

Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 9:34 am

What about those who have no musical taste and don't listen to music?

simmerskan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

Well, the music i listen to isn´t always automatically what everybody else is listening to. But people accept that, there are other thing about me that people think is not normal or weird.

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

My music taste doesn't isolate me per say, but I don't like mainstream music. I've met plenty of people who listen to the same type of music as I do. But there have been a few people who've called me a hipster just because I don't like *insert sh***y mainstream artist here*. I guess my taste of music can be described as hipsterish but I listen to much more then just "indie". I love metal, punk, classic rock, old school rap, some indie, electronica, and even some older county.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 5:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:
[
it is not quite talent, but it was strictly trial and error. i made hundreds of coasters before i learned how to make good CDs, so i know about "butchering music." it wasn't patience so much as stubborn devotion to the excellence of the result- since i had to live with the result of my extended labors and expenditure of time, so i had to do it right or as right as i could make it. my most recent iteration of restoration of the benny goodman carnegie hall CD, is my fifth try at it. i first tried it back in 2000, shortly after the sony/columbia 1999 carnegie hall "remaster" came out on the market- i was so offended by the sony's horrible sound quality that in my haste to make it more listenable, rushed the job and made an equally horrible-sounding coaster. it was a long process of learning how to listen deeply enough, combined with much needed practice by repetition on my restoration software package, that led me to my most recent definitive CD a full decade after my first try. i am eager for other people to listen to my version of this concert, and compare it with the various other versions out there. i'd frankly like for you to hear it also. :)

I wanted to let you and everyone else know, I just got your CDs and they're fantastic!

I have yet to received that Goodman boxed set I ordered, so I cannot compare to that, but your version is much better than my mp3s!

I'm awestruck.

It's hard to believe so much detail was hidden in those tracks.

You did a great restoration job! :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 6:14 am

GoonSquad wrote:
I wanted to let you and everyone else know, I just got your CDs and they're fantastic! I have yet to received that Goodman boxed set I ordered, so I cannot compare to that, but your version is much better than my mp3s! I'm awestruck. It's hard to believe so much detail was hidden in those tracks. You did a great restoration job! :D

bowing :D you're welcome :)

crisloner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Nov 2011, 2:37 am

in my country, classical music is considered to be for funerals, mournings...i love classical music but i also know about other mainstream artist . also am looking for a different sound, something unheard of, like folk songs 4om diferent cultures.
all these tastes put me in conflict with people who know me. they already think that i`m a wierdo and then i tell them that i listen to beethoven. they immediately put me in the insanity bow with the rest of insane people. they dont understand me.
i try to keep my musical tastes to myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 2:57 am

^^^
welcome to our club :)
too bad you aren't living in a friendlier place.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Nov 2011, 12:09 am

I like a wide variety music but I think my favorite types of music does isolate me some. A 28year-old guy who listens to disney idols could be thought to be a pedophile & someone who listens to comedy music can be thought to be a huge dork or an ubergeek. Liking both types can also be seen as immature

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

riverso
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2011, 1:11 am

Aah, the 1930's, I can picture it now... Charlie Chaplin... Laurel and Hardy... Hitler. The good old days, when it was rude not to be racist and women knew their place, well, apart from the flappers.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvqrISf0Myo&feature=related[/youtube]

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 3:25 am

My taste in music certainly seems to isolate me around here; but not quite so much in real life. I listen to a lot of post-grunge, industrial, industrial metal, industrial rock, electronic rock, pop-punk, alternative rock, alternative metal, nu metal and EBM.

spaceappleseed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2011, 11:37 pm

Choral music is my favorite, and singing in a chorus is where I am at my most confident and outgoing. The few friends that I have right now are the ones I sing with.

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:54 pm

Laconvivencia wrote:
Not at all, I like loads of Mainstream Music.

I like some mainstream music, too, but I feel about it differently than other people. Music, for me, can be extremely intense. And some people just... I don't know, they may feel good when they listen to a particular track, but they don't seem to get elevated.

RevolutionWaver wrote:
For me, it isn't what I like that isolates me. I know plenty of people older than me who have introduced me to many "obscure" bands that are now my favorites! I do, however, have trouble with people my age relating to me music wise. I've always assumed that they are avid fans of other genres, and that they have a rudimentary at least knowledge of its history. It isn't the genres I listen to that isolate me, necessarily. It's the fact that I know an overwhelming amount of music in the given styles I enjoy. And even if a person older than me doesn't know about something like dream pop or post punk or grunge, with people older than me, I use the fact that this is a 13 year old kid talking about the influence of Television's Marquee Moon or debating whether or not My Bloody Valentine's Ecstasy and Wine is better than Loveless. I wasn't even alive when Loveless was made, let alone Marquee Moon!

Yeah, I know what you mean. A lot of people my age just... you know, I am 23, and it's really sad to see so many people not caring much about music. Maybe the "scene", but not the music itself.

Some people also only accept the bands they like and everything else does not live up to their standards. I have this with Radiohead fans, for example. They would never like Coldplay or Oasis because they are too mainstream or because it doesn't seem intellectual enough.

I don't think it has something to do with age though. I could enjoy talking about the Backstreet Boys in primary school with two friends. They genuinely liked the band, which was great.

Another thing I don't like is that, as a girl, some male fans of music will never take me serious. Because girls can only be "fans", but not like the music for itself. I have seen a topic discussing this on the Atease Radiohead board. I was... shocked. Because I know just as many guys with "terrible" music taste. It's quite unfair to say women cannot really like music because they're all about... being superficial. I don't know...

I feel alienated from everyone who either feels they're into music to be part of a certain scene or who think it has some... purpose of class. Either people just see music as "fun" and going out and going to parties. Or they are completely stuck up about it. I know I can be quite arrogant when it comes to music I like, but I only do it because I feel misunderstood. Because I sometimes get the feeling that people cannot imagine how important music is to me. Maybe "too" important. ^^

I think, Ecstacy and Wine does not leave you as exhausted as Loveless does. It's good for what it is.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2012, 9:01 pm

So what?

I like mostly Opera and Classical Music. I have around 800 some iTunes albums in that genre. I like other things to but not as much. I studied music in college, and still do today. Floor to ceiling books on composer biographies and understanding Classical Music or Librettos.

I am a well educated CPA, been to six Universities and I enjoy the finer things in life the money provides.

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 9:45 pm

kg4fxg wrote:
So what?

I like mostly Opera and Classical Music. I have around 800 some iTunes albums in that genre. I like other things to but not as much. I studied music in college, and still do today. Floor to ceiling books on composer biographies and understanding Classical Music or Librettos.

I am a well educated CPA, been to six Universities and I enjoy the finer things in life the money provides.

I know how you feel.

Money provides me with music, books and other good things. <3 It's the only way to be.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 9:57 pm

Maybe, I don't really care though......I listen to lots of different music though, just not a lot of mainstream music.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2012, 2:25 am

I wouldn't say music isolates me since most people don't care about music in any way that would lead to real isolation because of it. Isolation would only happen if people had music as their interest.
People will listen to music now and then, will go to social places to listen to it, and function in a social way, may it be to have parties or to be part of a group and feel included.
Not as many will want to delve into their music, take it apart, analyse everything about it and thus have a solid knowledge about it, solid enough to talk about it. For me music entails everything from the artist to the videos to the designs to the instruments used to the stage itself (and so on). Oh, and the history...what better way there is to get an understanding of the things you listen to than knowing how they were born and developed?

So it's not music that isolates me, in and on itself,... it's more the use and meaning of music for different people which would not include me but it also wouldn't include most people into my use of music, either way.