Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2006, 7:36 pm

Hello,

I wrote this post because in a previous topic that THATRSDUDE wrote, I thought it's that he would meant !

Sorry THATRSDUDE if it's that you would meant !

When I listen to music, I can concentrate on only one instrument during all the song without hearing the song or the other intruments.

I can just listen how the snare or the bass drum sounds or only listen how the bass sounds
in a very boring song without hear that boring song.

I can listen a song 5 times in a row and just listening the difference between the bass part and the guitar part and didn't still heard a word of the lyric.

When the music is loud, like in a bar, It happened frequently that my mind only care about the music and I don't see what is around me anymore, It's like if I were in trance without beeing drunk or stoned ...

In these moments I analyse the songs, I can find new parts who can fit in that song, I can find another drum beat, or try to figure if 2 bass players with differents bass tracks can sound well in that song ... or just sing the guitar part but with the rythm of another song who sound like this one.

And others things that it's hard to explain ...

P.S.: If you found that weird, note that I play music and I got somes music lessons and I read a lot about music theory ...

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 7:42 pm

I do the same thing, but sometimes I hear the whole thing. When I do hear the whole thing it sounds completely different.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 7:42 pm

i tend to hear music as a whole and i focus in on certain instruments and vocals depending on the genre and style. probably comes from going to school to be an engineer and going to school in high school and learning to hear music as a whole and learning to compose. it's really a difference. listening to one song versus another...i'd never mix two songs the same way.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 8:06 pm

When I listen to music I hear philosophy, a story, and commentary on either the musician's society or on the emotional state of the musician at the time the song was written. But most of all I hear energy- just pure, flowing, unadulterated energy.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 8:08 pm

I listen to the drums mostly.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 9:39 pm

When I listen to some kinds of music, I can hear my most hidden ideas, thoughts and feelings

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 11:22 pm

A certian swing that some of the Rock and Pop hits from 1960, through to 1966 are laced with, that bring to my Mind's Eye, images of Routemasters.

Snakeasp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2006, 2:13 am

When I listen to music I like to close my eyes(though often times, I can't because I'm driving, working, etc.) and make a movie in my mind. Every song becomes a story. I think it has something to do with my need to turn everything into a picture. Like I think entirely in images(I hear Grandin is the same way. so maybe it's an aspie thing). but that's how I listen to music, by watching the movie it makes in my mind.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 3:48 am

When I'm alone and trying to enjoy the music more thoroughly, I find I automatically move or dance with the music, as if I can used my whole body to help me encompass all of the sounds. Hearing doesn't always seem to be enough, it's true.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 6:10 am

Yeah, but what's funny is that I don't feel the impact because I'm mildly autistic, just a small thud to know that it's there and that's it. I find most heavy metal music boring for that reason.

And I don't see what's wrong with Linkin Park's music before Live In Texas, because it doesn't make much difference to me whether they're marketed or not (same with Pearl Jam's earlier stuff).

greyhelium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 9:19 pm

im lucky as at the same time as listening to the 'whole' im hearing each individual instrument. alot of the music i like the music outweighs the lyrics (often what im listening to is purely instrumental, ie hardenergy/trance) so theres many different sounds i can pick out. i often hear each bit as layers and can while listening go 'into' the layers. if i concentrate i can listen to just one part, for instance the drums, then play the track again and just listen to the melody/riff. it makes the same song have many different variations :D

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2006, 6:43 am

well i listen to mausic depends what the music is.... sometimes i concentrate on the drums - more if this is a metal punk or rock song - sometimes on the lyrics - of the Styar Spangled Banner for example. i dont much concentrate on lyrics in most songs.... i just like litening to the drums and the chords and the melody of the song

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 11:01 pm

Wow this takes me back to when I was around 15, I used to only hear the vocals and the guitars, and if I chose to I could focus on percussion or bass. As my taste expanded I started pushing myself to hear more and more, and got to a point where "normal" music wouldn't cut it. I discovered electronic music and found the beauty of music having no pre-requisite (spelling!?) parts, this taught me to break it down and piece it back together and ultimately be able to hear the entire sound as a whole.

A year or so after this I found Devin Townsend, his sound is actually a "wall of sound" that is impossibly rich and huge, I seriously recommend the album "infinity" by him. It changed my perception of music all together, from being just a sum of 4-5 parts to an overwhelming (at first) crushing, yet welcoming euphony of sounds that over 6 months later I'm still hearing more in the backround!!

Years later I've heard solos, and vocals, and various samples and little things hidden in his music, there is not a sound like it, to me its the future of music, instead of trying to work out just instruments or the way 4-5 people came together, it forced me to work out over 100 layers of sound at one time..

On 3-4 occasions this left me in a catatonic state, unable to move, pure... awe..

A warning his sound can be very, very intense and painful to some, to others its the music of dreams.

Anyone that checks him out I'd love to hear what you think.

SilentBedlam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2006, 6:27 am

I hear everything.

Sounds like an obvious comment, but when I listen to music, it's like my mind is a multi-processor computer, with a thread for each part. I hear drums, vocals, guitar, whatever, all seperately - as if just one of them were there, but my mind is doing the mixing, not the audio track?

It's quite intense, and I don't think I've really explained it properly. Sometimes I can pick out the individual harmonics of a note, though that's very difficult. Largely though, when I hear music, and have the oppurtunity to shut my eyes, and not look like an idiot in public, I see blotches of colour on a musical canvas that rushes past my minds eye. (I've always found language other than music impossible to describe thought with.)

The two experiences that taught me most about music though, were Psilocybe mushroom trips where I did nothing but listen to classical music. For the pieces I knew best, I wasn't listening to the music - I became it. I stil have moments where that happens now. I felt like one part was coming from my chest, another from my feet, another from my lips et cetera. It was overwhelming. I recommend it.

I'm not sure if I "see" music - I think maybe it just takes me over sometimes, and pushes everything else to the side. For that reason, it's incredibly powerful, which seemingly now stops me listening to it when I'm not physically ready.

Addendum: Singing is extraordinarily poewrful - I've been known to walk out of services at the Cathedral I sing at, visibly shaking from the adrenaline rush of singing something big, and powerful.

There is nothing about these perplexing and morally insensitive humans that cannot be solved with the aid of a heavy machine gun.