Does anyone hate electronic music like I do?

Page 6 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 8:40 pm

I hate that crap that's played in clubs, and I'm not a fan of agressive, dirty basses, or the general song structure common in Electronic Music.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 12:50 pm

When "techno" ( what they now call ""electronica") first appeared in the early nineties I hated it.

But when a still obscure lady recording artist named abigail van Sziga (aka 'Abigail") came out with several mixes of her techno version of the guitar rock hit "Smells Like Teenspirit" by Nirvanna I was so blown away that it was "road to Damascus. And I became a instant convert to techno.

Farsight
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

When I was a kid I couldn't stand electronic music! I thought it sounded dead, unorganic and quite scary. But that was mostly the repetitive dance stuff that came up at night on some radio stations I grew up with. Like dead white noise. I also didn't care for trance, Techno and such. And the video game music I grew up with was mostly orchestral thank you very much.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 6:21 am

Electronic music? So, what are we talking about when we say "electronic music"? Do you mean Daft Punk? T-Pain? Skrillex? Kraftwerk? Depeche Mode? Nine Inch Nails? There's a huge amount of terrain to cover there.

For about as long as I've really listened to contemporary music, I've been interested in industrial music-- Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Front Line Assembly, Filter. I also love progressive rock, and most of the bands I love from that genre-- from as early as ELP and Yes, and as recent as Tool, Porcupine Tree, the Mars Volta and Riverside-- have all done their own experimentations with synthesizers and programmed tracks. Often I find that electronic music has a uniqueness or complexity which, so far as my personal tastes are concerned, is hard to match with more traditional methods.

As my tastes have progressed, I've branched out into other artists-- Moby, the Prodigy, Björk, Röyksopp, the Knife. I've also been on a bit of an 80s synthpop kick lately.

Farsight
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm

Yeah Porcupine Tree did alot to open my mind to arty electronic music like Tangerine Dream. And art pop.

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2013, 8:32 am

I don't like electronic stuff if it lacks melody or is too repetitive. But I really like it if people blend electro with other styles like jazz, hiphop or soul. Some pretty cool stuff out there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZT0wlH4y8k[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aPJ8dorO_o[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=364xrFwsD1w[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOkSYZh4do[/youtube]

LIZZLIZ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2015, 11:21 am

Yes. Absolutely. I was going to post the same question. I don't understand how people enjoy it..

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 3:58 am

I can't stand Dubstep. The lack of lyrics is why I don't like it. All it is is noise and every single song sounds the exactly alike.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

ZombyWoof
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2015, 4:08 pm

i listen to some weird stuff, but none of it is unpleasant to me. In fact, it helps me get my mind off things. However my ears are very sensitive and detect all kinds of electronic artifacts, such as:

compression
noise reduction
(excessive) EQ
lossy encoding
auto-tune (ruined the 1974 Queen disc for me, i passed after hearing the samples)
various digital synthesizer tones (often heard in dubstep)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 4:13 pm

ZombyWoof wrote:
i listen to some weird stuff, but none of it is unpleasant to me. In fact, it helps me get my mind off things. However my ears are very sensitive and detect all kinds of electronic artifacts, such as:
noise reduction

if noise reduction is done properly* it is undetectable except in direct a/b comparison with raw source material.
*meaning not in a typically ham-handed fashion.

ZombyWoof
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2015, 4:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ZombyWoof wrote:
noise reduction

if noise reduction is done properly* it is undetectable except in direct a/b comparison with raw source material.

it isn't done well all too often. And i know it can. I have actually used it in mastering a couple of times on some rather dire bootleg recordings to rescue the content, usually audience recordings from the 1960s.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 4:28 pm

ZombyWoof wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ZombyWoof wrote:
noise reduction

it isn't done well all too often. And i know it can. I have actually used it in mastering a couple of times on some rather dire bootleg recordings to rescue the content, usually audience recordings from the 1960s.

yes, I have been hobbying at this sort of thing since the 90s, and have heard some atrocious examples of poorly-done NR on major archival record labels such as RCA bluebird. the key offender is decrackling algorithms [in sonic solutions NONOISE™, as well as improper use of the CEDAR declicker] that are pushed beyond their point of effectiveness, which generally chops holes in brasses. also just as bad, the use of CEDAR dehissing on material that is beyond what the algorithm can handle without introducing severe aliasing artifacts.

Subjekt_9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2015, 1:02 am

SticksAndSkins wrote:
I absolutely cannot stand electronic music. Any kind of dance music, rap, techno, pop-rock, etc. that is made or heavily influenced by computers sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. This can sometimes be difficult in social situations as whenever it is playing I automatically insult it and ask for it to be changed. I don't want to appreciate it, that is not the problem, I was just wondering if anyone else hears the same awful noise that I do when I listen to it.

If no one has already done so, might I suggest Boards of Canada? They are an Electronic/Ambient duo from Scotland, but are unlike any electronic music I've heard. No irritating high pitched squeals, no 4-on-the-floor dance beats, no wubwubwub crap. Their music is.....soft.....warm......nostalgic. Seriously. I hated electronic music before these guys. Their music is more organic somehow. Just give 'em a shot, eh?

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2015, 5:29 pm

>Hating all electronic music

Lol. First of all, I find it hilarious when people say they "hate" one particular genre completely - especially something as varied as EDM and Electronic Music. I mean if people aren't into it, sure thing, that's no problem. The music you like is based upon your personality and own taste, but saying one type of music is "bad" in general without properly exploring it is really - really - immature, lol.

I personally cannot stand most (most) metal music. I like some progressive metal, and some sludge/doom metal, but it just isn't my thing. The artists are technically skilled though, as are people who hate electronica. And if anyone in this thread thinks its as simple as pushing a button and making a song - please make an electro/dance track and upload it. If it's so easy - I'd love to hear it. ;)

Ciphergarm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Mar 2015, 9:13 pm

Subjekt_9 wrote:
SticksAndSkins wrote:
I absolutely cannot stand electronic music. Any kind of dance music, rap, techno, pop-rock, etc. that is made or heavily influenced by computers sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. This can sometimes be difficult in social situations as whenever it is playing I automatically insult it and ask for it to be changed. I don't want to appreciate it, that is not the problem, I was just wondering if anyone else hears the same awful noise that I do when I listen to it.

If no one has already done so, might I suggest Boards of Canada? They are an Electronic/Ambient duo from Scotland, but are unlike any electronic music I've heard. No irritating high pitched squeals, no 4-on-the-floor dance beats, no wubwubwub crap. Their music is.....soft.....warm......nostalgic. Seriously. I hated electronic music before these guys. Their music is more organic somehow. Just give 'em a shot, eh?

Just quoting this because Boards of Canada have been my favorite musical group since when I first heard them in 05. I've listened to so many of their songs so many times. Excellent, excellent duo.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 9:51 pm

I draw the line at "auto-tune", myself. It makes everything fake and boring. I would much rather listen to a mediocre vocalist strut whatever style they have than try to nod my head to some rinky-dink auto-tune BS.