Does anyone hate electronic music like I do?

Page 3 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 10:30 pm

i'm appreciative of two electronic music artists in particular- wendy carlos and isao tomita. carlos is very cerebral and tomita is very playful. listening to carlos's "timesteps" is like stepping into a computer-generated savanna, with wild alien robocreatures lurking all about- and tomita's rendition of "the planets" is just wild, it truly is sci-fi music or a science-fiction movie expressed in a musical form. i believe somebody made a video version of it, that is real eye candy. his CD "the bermuda triangle" [very hard to find] is also akin to a science fiction movie expressed as pure sound. tomita's version of "pavane for a dead princess" [on his "bolero" CD] is grand and somber and contemplative, with a very symphonic use of synthesizers.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 11:05 pm

fraac wrote:
"Actually in the days or Roni Size's Reprazent you had so much other stuff going on."

Yeah but nobody knew about it who wasn't already listening - that was my point.

That's not really my point though. It seemed like, as far as I could tell - at least around where I'm at, dubstep caught on but the intolerance for dnb with the broader audience never really changed. That's 1997/98, 2005, 2008, even now likely.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 11:12 pm

I know people who get physically ill at dnb, the rhythms and the frequencies. Dubstep is all pleasing frequencies.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm

The frequencies that fall within the nyquist range for 44.1khz sampling are the same, anywhere under 22Khz. There's nothing really subphonic either below 35Hz or above 15 or 17kHz to be enough to do anything 'weird' to people in either genre really. I could see where people could have, say, an issue with psychedellia where - like really blistering acid techno or psytrance - if it gets to multilayer and splintering it starts making them feel sick, that's really it.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 12:19 am

dr. john diamond, MD, in his book "your body doesn't lie," said that the anapestic beat or rhythm [antagonistic to the heartbeat of which it is opposite] so prevelant in today's music, is literally wearing us down. techno, rap, hiphop, hard rock [NOT rock AND roll], disco, new country, etc. all causes subtle human suffering via the anapestic beat.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 12:32 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The frequencies that fall within the nyquist range for 44.1khz sampling are the same, anywhere under 22Khz. There's nothing really subphonic either below 35Hz or above 15 or 17kHz to be enough to do anything 'weird' to people in either genre really. I could see where people could have, say, an issue with psychedellia where - like really blistering acid techno or psytrance - if it gets to multilayer and splintering it starts making them feel sick, that's really it.

Dubstep doesn't have scratchy hi hats. I can see how dnb would irritate. A lot of it irritates me.

auntblably: I can maybe buy that idea but your list is ridiculous. Techno, for example, is very specifically created to be in sync with your heartbeat - that's how it can build you up to euphoria.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 12:38 am

fraac wrote:
auntblably: I can maybe buy that idea but your list is ridiculous. Techno, for example, is very specifically created to be in sync with your heartbeat - that's how it can build you up to euphoria.

i must not have the genes [or youth] for it, then, for it causes nausea in me unless listened to at a very low volume level for brief periods. it has the same effect on me as a pounding disco rhythm played over full-range loudspeakers or subwoofers. "De gustibus non est disputandum."

KyushuFez
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2011, 6:10 am

It's something that I pretty much exclusively listen to now. There is so much to 'electronic' music now that it's hard to put it all under one blanket. I know a lot of people don't like catagorising into genres and sub-genres, but they do have unique sounds. I think most people relate electronic music to the rubbish they play on commercial stations. I love digging deep and finding new stuff, and even appreciating again what I used to listen to 10 years ago.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 8:52 am

Okay here's some dubstep I like:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l44E7moG7BQ[/youtube]
But here's a breakbeat offshoot I REALLY like:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgJZ5EsEgyU[/youtube]

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

Some breezy & mellow:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeFM90l8KVw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVDqeLG5Odk[/youtube]

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2011, 9:52 am

Poor thread starter^^
You are all so cruel!^^

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 9:58 am

awes wrote:
Poor thread starter^^
You are all so cruel!^^

Don't be silly, if I really wanted to be cruel, I would have told the OP to listen to this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5WxZNIpszs[/youtube]

:P

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

Asp-Z wrote:
awes wrote:
Poor thread starter^^
You are all so cruel!^^

Don't be silly, if I really wanted to be cruel, I would have told the OP to listen to this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5WxZNIpszs[/youtube]

:P

Sounds very ouch xD

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2011, 7:06 pm

I like it in the right time and place. I'm not going to go out and listen to electronica if I'm just cruising in my car or chilling at my house. If I'm out at a club or party then it's so much better then shitty top 40 rap music. My only problem with dubstep is so much of it sounds the same, though it is amazing when under the influence of various substances.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 7:10 pm

See, interesting thing about me is I, like many Aspies, have very little interest in nightclubs and stuff, but I still think dubstep sounds awesome :P

ManicMinx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2011, 7:37 pm

I hear ya, I cannot stand most electronic music. It has to appeal to me. If it's dark, it has to sound good to me, but stuff like techno that they play at clubs for the mainstream people irritates the living s**t out of me. I can't stand being in a club that's playing that type of music. I don't like it and it makes me wanna cover my ears or get s**tfaced so I can tolerate it LOL Even dark type of electronic music can be annoying. I can tolerate loud music, but if it sounds like a whole bunch of noises just thrown together it makes me dizzy/irritated.