Which Music Genres Will Die Out within 20 years?

Page 3 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

Uprising wrote:
I think the big record companies are trying their best to silently kill anything that isn't made by them and I'm sure that if it was up to them, only pop music would exist and believe me, they do got power. Underground music was way more popular in the 90s than it is now.

Major labels are losing power, that’s why they have been freaking out lately; pushing out all of these censorship bills. Listeners of mainstream music aren’t buying cds anymore and the passionate fans of more underground music have continued to support their music. With the internet, it is now very easy to support smaller record labels, people are no longer restricted to albums at best buy. Smaller lables are embracing internet uploads becuase they know that people will buy a physical copy if they enjoy the music. Major lables have done nothing but blame their losses on piracy instead of the garbage they continue to promote. Soon major labels will have to change their practices or they will indeed die out.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 4:56 pm

RushKing wrote:
Uprising wrote:
I think the big record companies are trying their best to silently kill anything that isn't made by them and I'm sure that if it was up to them, only pop music would exist and believe me, they do got power. Underground music was way more popular in the 90s than it is now.

Major labels are losing power, that’s why they have been freaking out lately; pushing out all of these censorship bills. Listeners of mainstream music aren’t buying cds anymore and the passionate fans of more underground music have continued to support their music. With the internet, it is now very easy to support smaller record labels, people are no longer restricted to albums at best buy. Smaller lables are embracing internet uploads becuase they know that people will buy a physical copy if they enjoy the music. Major lables have done nothing but blame their losses on piracy instead of the garbage they continue to promote. Soon major labels will have to change their practices or they will indeed die out.

Then why the hell do we have to put up with a Justin Bieber now out of nowhere?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 5:00 pm

Uprising wrote:
RushKing wrote:
Uprising wrote:

Then why the hell do we have to put up with a Justin Bieber now out of nowhere?

Because tween girls love his crap?

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 7:02 pm

Hopefully none.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 7:19 pm

scarter wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Rap - please!

:D

Absolutely!! !! !! !! !! !! !

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 8:17 pm

Radiofixr wrote:
scarter wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Rap - please!

Aesop Rock is way to epic to disappear. This guy is a rap genius. A true poet and storyteller. I don't get how people can hate on rap/hiphop like this, unless you haven't heard something like this before.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9tgXe3kLc&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayo4KAXqBUI&feature=related[/youtube]

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I still consider myself a metalhead, only problem is I can't seem to find many other metal heads. But yeah I am mostly into the more oldschool metal though I do enjoy a lot of more extreme metal as well. Unfortunatly even though psychedelic rock still exists most people think it is dead......but there's lots of newer psychedelic rock bands.

Maybe try hanging out at some local metal shows or something. I met most of my metalhead friends through the internet or from going to shows where local metal bands are playing. It seems like old music is usually the best kind of music regardless of genre.

There are many types of psychedelic rock too. I consider Jimi Hendrix to be psychedelic rock, and everyone and their mom loves Jimi Hendrix to this day. I suppose it would have to do with the kind of psych rock you are talking about. The really trippy spaced out psych rock where they use a lot of special effects I could see being hard to get into. My friends once called that kind of music an acquired taste. I agree with him on that. I think when it comes down to just wailing out on the guitar in a psychedelic fashion, that will never die, but perhaps the more out there psych rock will reach mostly true psych lovers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jan 2012, 9:35 pm

Kids Bop will die out because the record labels will start signing the kids as individual pop singers

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 11 Jan 2012, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm

More than any other "genre", I sincerely hope that Karaoke dies a sudden, painless death.

Put down the microphone ... walk away from the stage ... don't ever look back ...

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 10:20 pm

Dubstep is pretty bad imo

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:38 am

Hopefully all of the subgenres will die and we just go back to basic genres used to classify music.

It would be better for music as an art form.
Fortunately for me punk and folk music will never die.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 8:28 am

JasperIan wrote:
I think rock 'n roll and new wave are in danger of dying out. Theres hardly anything left thats harder edged and truly substantial.

Really you think new wave is dying out? I think throughout the 90s and most of the 00s, it was on life support. But now with stuff like Owl City, new wave seems very alive again, especially just below the mainstream level. all the scene kids are into it now. i think new wave, being only about half the age of rock n roll, will outlive bands like the Foo Fighters.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 8:32 am

Moseley wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Rap - please!

That's kind of doubtful really though. There's such a variety of rap genres and it appeals to so many people that I wouldn't say it will ever fade away, you know.

Most rap kinda sounds the same to me. Like um, the difference in 'genres' is mostly lyrically based. Musically speaking, conscious hip hop and gangsta rap are almost identical.

With that said, unfortunately, as someone who isn't a rap lover, I think it has at least 10 more years of mainstream success among youth. Maybe even 20 or more?

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 8:34 am

Fnord wrote:
I think that Enya music will die out in the next 20 years, if it hasn't already. I mean, she's 50 years old, and likely has run out of ideas by now. She also has no children, lives in a castle by herself, and has more money than most people could ever hope to spend.

You got me feeling really bad for Enya now. :(

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

RushKing wrote:
Dubstep

Yes!

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 4:00 pm

Pondering wrote:
Radiofixr wrote:
scarter wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Rap - please!

Aesop Rock is way to epic to disappear. This guy is a rap genius. A true poet and storyteller. I don't get how people can hate on rap/hiphop like this, unless you haven't heard something like this before.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9tgXe3kLc&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayo4KAXqBUI&feature=related[/youtube]

This...

and
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj4JzRzTAww[/youtube]
Dear world, please don't kill rap.