Which Music Genres Will Die Out within 20 years?

Page 6 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 5:25 am

RushKing wrote:
Harsh vocals; like any other vocal technique are a form of emotional expression, weather or not you fancy yourself as muture for listening to them. To me, saying no one should ever scream in music is like saying no one should ever scream in plays. Some emotions are better to express through harsh vocals. Extreme metal isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I agree. I mean, I think the 'screamo' trend will die out quickly, but not screaming vocals themselves. Personally, I can't stand it, but I accept it as a legit form of art.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 1:40 pm

Uprising wrote:
There is another genre I definitely want to vanish out of this world, it's called hardstyle. Every track really has this horrible sounding anthem trance lead in it that makes me want to kick myself in the nuts. The audience consists out of troublemakers only.

I don't care much for it either, but my brother likes it as well as other genres and I would not describe him as a 'troublemaker'...and I think that is quite an assumption to make about people based simply on the music they listen to.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 1:41 pm

RushKing wrote:
Shadewraith wrote:
I think all of this "scream at the top of your lungs" style of music will die out one of these days. It's one thing to make your voice sound raspy while singing, but the screaming stuff gets old quick. I used to love it when I was a teenager, but now it's just noise to me.

Harsh vocals; like any other vocal technique are a form of emotional expression, weather or not you fancy yourself as muture for listening to them. To me, saying no one should ever scream in music is like saying no one should ever scream in plays. Some emotions are better to express through harsh vocals. Extreme metal isn't going anywhere any time soon.

:wtg:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 1:42 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
RushKing wrote:

I agree. I mean, I think the 'screamo' trend will die out quickly, but not screaming vocals themselves. Personally, I can't stand it, but I accept it as a legit form of art.

what does screamo have to do with extreme metal? those are two totally different genres with different vocal styles....I cannot stand screamo, or the vocals in it yet I like thrash metal, death metal and black metal which all have harsh vocals.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:07 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Uprising wrote:
There is another genre I definitely want to vanish out of this world, it's called hardstyle. Every track really has this horrible sounding anthem trance lead in it that makes me want to kick myself in the nuts. The audience consists out of troublemakers only.

I don't care much for it either, but my brother likes it as well as other genres and I would not describe him as a 'troublemaker'...and I think that is quite an assumption to make about people based simply on the music they listen to.

If you ever visit Belgium, you might reconsider that statement if you go to the local hardstyle/jumpstyle raves. Yikes!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:07 pm

Uprising wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Uprising wrote:

If you ever visit Belgium, you might reconsider that statement if you go to the local hardstyle/jumpstyle raves. Yikes!

Well I am not saying none of them are troublemakers, but yeah my brother likes the dancing that goes with that sort of music and spent like 300 dollars on pants for it. But hes not like a raver or anything its just one of his random interests, he also likes to wear make up and listen to metal.

TheSocialExperiment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2012, 4:11 pm

Pondering wrote:
Aesop Rock is way to epic to disappear. This guy is a rap genius. A true poet and storyteller. I don't get how people can hate on rap/hiphop like this, unless you haven't heard something like this before.

You are the only person on here that I've found who listens to one of, if not the greatest rapper that ever lived! Do you also listen to Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Eyedea & Abilities, Hail Mary Mallon, etc? (The Rhymesayers Entertainment and Strange Famous labels)

TheSocialExperiment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2012, 4:13 pm

My answer to this question: All the fake maintream artists, no matter what genre.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 2:56 pm

I really hope this reggaeton thing dies out. I think Daddy Yankee is the most known one, but around here there are lots and lots of it.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 10:12 pm

I know

Any crap MTV pushes in will die in 20 years....or a lot less :twisted:

Indie may die in this decade

Rap is on life support...I guess

And so is Hip Hop ..oh wait...its the same thing almost

Gangsta culture may be saying its last words

STAY TUNED!

MBTI- ISTP

Farsight
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2013, 5:01 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8tbfM6MCbo[/youtube]
The ending of this song is Dubstep done right In my opinion.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:46 am

Critics have been saying for eons that certain genres of music are dead. For example: Big bands. Yes, leaders like Benny Goodman, Stan Kenton, the Dorsey Brothers, etc. are gone, but they are not all entirely forgotten, as long as you have radio stations like WRTI--Philadelphia, Jazz91 in Toronto, WDUQ-Pittsburgh, etc., to educate the public about this type of music.

Ditto with classical music. While Opera seems to be doing OK financially, the symphony orchestras are losing audiences. What they need are music directors like David Zinman, who will discuss with the audience the music that is on the program for that evening. Zinman did that in Baltimore with the Baltimore Symphony during his tenure there as music director. I would have never bothered with Peter Torke's Compositions, if it weren't for Zinman, who made it known that Torke, like Scriabin, has synesthesia.

Unfortunately, nowadays in the US, jazz and classical music stations are becoming more scarce, as it's cheaper to program an all-talk format than it is to program music. Even then, the few fine music stations that remain, rely on syndication providers, like the Beethoven network and Public Radio International for their programming.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:52 am

I'd love it if heavy metal and most of what sadly passes for "pop" these days both died out very quickly.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 2:54 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I'd love it if heavy metal and most of what sadly passes for "pop" these days both died out very quickly.

Sorry, metal isn't dying out anytime soon. It survived punk, disco, new romantic, grunge and manufactured pop, and will outlast other genres. If anything will be dying out, it's today's crap pop music and dubstep.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 6:11 am

The problem with trying to predict which genres will 'die out' in a certain timespan as of now, is that a lot of genres that end up dropping of the radar of the common buying audience and mainstream music channels, actually continue to be enjoyed on a greater or lesser scale. They'll either maintain a large underground following, or they'll be picked up by musicians and music fans with a taste for the unusual or the unconventional, who will continue to listen to the music or play it.

Soul, for example, big in the late 60s and early 70s, was mostly supplanted by a discofied version of itself by the 1980s that morphed into new jack swing and urban contemporary. But it continued to be played in its original form by lovers of the genre, and by the early 2000s you had the neo-soul movement in America, which begat the britsoul that found its way into the charts with Winehouse, Duffy, and Adele. You look at the mainstream media, the 80s and 90s are a wasteland for soul music, and it's as if the genre has died out. There's no telling whether a genre that's fallen out of favour with the larger public, will keep its head down forever.

Jazz supplanted ragtime in the 1920s and '30s, but people still play rags to this day. Who knows the 2020s might be the decade for 'neo-ragtime'. :P

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 8:57 am

LexingtonDeville wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:

Sorry, metal isn't dying out anytime soon. It survived punk, disco, new romantic, grunge and manufactured pop, and will outlast other genres. If anything will be dying out, it's today's crap pop music and dubstep.

I quite agree.
this song is as old as I am.
The classics never die.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GgBx7Y0aso[/youtube]

...and they're still making albums.

Diagnosed in 2005