Post a random quote from a book you're reading

Page 5 of 16 [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Every thought of genius, or even every earnest thought that springs up in any brain, which can never be communicated to others, even if one were to write volumes about it and were explaining one's idea for thirty-five years; there's something left which cannot be induced to emerge from your brain, and remains with you forever; and with it you will die, without communicating to anyone perhaps the most important of your ideas.

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 7:36 am

Quote:
And remember, problems may be solved but they are always replaced. They're endless. In the final analysis, your process is your real work.
--p.93 --'What would Buddha do at work?: 101 answers to workplace dilemmas' by Franz Metcalf & BJ Gallagher Hateley..a previous quote was from p.12

In the final analysis, your process is your real work since problems may be solved but they are always replaced. They're endless.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 3:51 pm

"Oh! oh! My feet of fire! My burning feet of fire! Oh! oh! This height and fiery speed!"

(Sorry, nothing profound or anything - just doing exactly what the thread title says)

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 4:42 pm

"Powering switcher is for to making device on. For no battery powering cannot make." -- Instruction booklet from a Chinese-made electric shaver I got for Christmas.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 10:01 pm

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 5:01 am

"Welcome, in other words, to the Land of Plenty. To the good life, where almost everyone is rich, safe, and healthy. Where there's only one thing we lack: a reason to get out of bed in the morning."

Rutger Bregman "Utopia for Realists"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 8:00 pm

For EJP
Leonard Cohen (one of my favourite modern poems -- such sensuous imagery).

I once believed a single line
in a Chinese poem could change
forever how blossoms fell
and that the moon itself climbed on
the grief of concise weeping men
to journey over cups of wine
I thought invasions were begun for crows
to pick at a skeleton
dynasties sown and spent
to serve the language of a fine lament
I thought governors ended their lives
as sweetly drunken monks
telling time by rain and candles
instructed by an insect's pilgrimage
across the page -- all this
so one might send an exile's perfect letter
to an ancient hometown friend
I chose a lonely country
broke from love
scorned the fraternity of war
I polished my tongue against the pumice moon
floated my soul in cherry wine
a perfumed barge for Lords of Memory
to languish on to drink to whisper out
their store of strength
as if beyond the mist along the shore
their girls their power still obeyed
like clocks wound for a thousand years
I waited until my tongue was sore
Brown petals wind like fire around my poems
I aimed them at the stars but
like rainbows they were bent
before they sawed the world in half
Who can trace the canyoned paths
cattle have carved out of time
wandering from meadowlands to feasts
Layer after layer of autumn leaves
are swept away
Something forgets us perfectly

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 2:07 pm

There is one just now crossing - a Lady. I will not write her name, although I know it. No history is connected with her identity. She is not one of the transcendently fair and inaccessibly sacred beings whose fates are interwoven with the highest of the high...

Charlotte Brontë, Roe Head Journal, 1831 (Age 14)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 2:28 pm

Charlotte Brontë's youth was one of bereavement, family losses, childhood confusion, and precocious understanding; there is a clear crisis between Charlottë's urgent need for expressing her knowledge while being agonisingly aware that she has, as yet, no voice.

Maier, Sarah E. "Fragments of Glass" in The Lost Manuscripts of Charlotte Brontë, edited by Ann Dinsdale et al.
The Brontë Society, 2018, p. 98.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 6:12 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Quote:
Every thought of genius, or even every earnest thought that springs up in any brain, which can never be communicated to others, even if one were to write volumes about it and were explaining one's idea for thirty-five years; there's something left which cannot be induced to emerge from your brain, and remains with you forever; and with it you will die, without communicating to anyone perhaps the most important of your ideas.

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

I just realised how close this sounds to the early Ludwig Wittgenstein, who was also a devotee of Dostoyevsky.

Quote:
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 1:09 am

:roll: Again not something I am reading (a book) but the review d---n well captivates me..

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/119 ... f_the_Hero

Quote:
BlackOxford rated it it was amazing · review of another edition
Shelves: biography-biographical, spanish-american
Lord of the Flies - With Guns

As a young man I attended a federal service academy in the United States for four years. So I identify with the conditions in the Peruvian equivalent that Vargas Llosa describes in excruciating detail. From the universal use of nicknames - half of them derogatory, the other half salacious - to the continuous, and often very creative, scheming to evade and outwit authority, to the intentional promotion of sadistic and vulgar brutality in the name of camaraderie, I find myself re-living the most painful, and painfully consequential, period of my life.

A rather disturbing transformation takes place in high-testosterone young males when confined together, voluntarily or not, and subjected to a highly regimented daily routine that is strictly enforced. Essentially they become amoral; every unregulated flaw, neurosis, or hiatus of maturity becomes exaggerated and enlarged in their resistance to a pervasive and arbitrary authority. And this regardless of their religious or ethical background. As Vargas Llosa has one of his characters muse about himself, “Sometimes he could go for several days following a routine that made all the decisions for him, gently nudging him into actions he hardly noted.” I think the reason for this sort of demonic spiritual ennui lies in the deprivation of not simply physical freedom, but - in the case of a military academy - the insistence upon the development of an attitude of extreme social dependence. The result is a kind of hypnosis.

“This place isn’t an Academy, it’s a prison,” says one of its officers. But not even prison puts the demand of spiritual conformity on its inmates, who are only expected to obey, not to admire, the violent ethos of their organization. In the military academy one becomes a stranger not only to one’s body as it is constantly stressed by activities that are meant to be tortuous, but also a stranger to one’s mind which is the real target of military indoctrination. As one of the officers in charge of the Peruvian academy exhorts his charges,“In the army, Cadets, you’ve got to have respect for symbols, damn it.” This process of ideological ‘formation’ continues for a full year without respite until one is expected to adopt the role of ‘formateur’, and do what was done to oneself, to others.

This intensive indoctrination, which is explicitly meant to dis-inhibit whatever ethical reservations one has about military service, is direct and unambiguous. For example: if any member of a unit screws up, all suffer. And all are informed why they suffer and who is to blame. The effect of collective guilt is invariable: the weakest in the unit, those who typically screw up, are persecuted by the group until they measure up or leave. If weakness is not found, it is fabricated in order to facilitate the system. Vargas Llosa knows the routine for creating a victim: “He was normal enough when he got here to the Academy, but you and the others gave him such a hard time you made an idiot out of him.”

Both the physical and psychological therapy are carried out by those who are only slightly older and more mature than those over whom one has charge. These ‘leaders’ have only recently undergone the same regime that they are expected to execute. The only training they receive is what they have undergone as victims one or two years previously. They believe, because they are taught, that it is their duty to become figures of unpredictable and sadistic authority to those subordinate to themselves.

Not infrequently, given a lack of experience, judgement, and conscience, their sadism becomes literal and is carried beyond the merely symbolic. And since there are severe restrictions on the access of adults (experienced officers) who could supervise the application of punishments to the barracks, it is not unusual for discipline to get grossly out of hand. As one of the protagonists points out: “The officers don’t know anything about what goes on in the barracks.” They are absentee warders who prefer not to know the details of barracks life lest they be held accountable. The lunatics do run the asylum.

Vargas Llosa captures this unique and uniquely primitive sociology of barely controlled violence so accurately that it gives me flashbacks. I have no idea whether conditions have altered very much in these institutions in recent decades. I doubt, though, that its essential intimidation and post-adolescent cruelty has been questioned. To eliminate these would be to abolish its core.

After a lifetime of experience in other business, academic and social institutions, I have encountered this kind of existence no where else. Its purpose remains a mystery to me since any practice of its mores outside its walls, even in the regular military, would be met with derision and resistance. During the VietNam war, my own epoch, young, ‘motivated’ West Point graduates were taught the limits of their academy ethos by ‘fragging’ in the field, that is, the killing of an officer by his own men. In The Time if the Hero, the inadvertent ‘escape’ of the academy mores threatens to destroy the entire Peruvian military. As the secret of its deptavity becomes public, the entire institution is compromised.

My experience suggests that the ‘outing’ of the military academy is a good thing. It deserves institutional criticism and castigation. I have never perceived that the experience of the military academy regime is in any way useful in building what is typically called character. The academy is an uncivilized existence which has no points of contact with family, business, or social life. Studies have shown that success during one’s academy training are entirely uncorrelated with one’s advancement in the service, much less one’s broader success or satisfaction in life. Rather, the reason that the sociology continues to exist, to the extent that it does, is that it has existed.

This is known as tradition, ‘we do it to them because it was done to us’. Tradition, from the Latin root tradere, a word connoting simultaneously ‘passing on’ and ‘betrayal’. Both Vargas Llosa and I have little doubt about which interpretation is more appropriate. Tradition is simply a rationalization for continuing abuse. I note with considerable dismay how many of my colleagues from those long-gone days support the kind of systematic political bullying of the current White House. Finally, they appear to believe, they have a Commander-in-Chief worthy of their own training and civic ideals. The effects of indoctrination are indeed penetrating and long-lived.

Vargas Llosa’s epigram from Jean-Paul Sartre neatly summarizes our common experience of the institution of the military academy and its consequences for the society that harbors it: “We play the part of heroes because we’re cowards, the part of saints because we’re wicked: we play the killer’s role because we’re dying to murder our fellow man: we play at being because we’re liars from the moment we’re born.” Perhaps the academy is, as Vargas Llosa implies in the way he presents his narrative alternately inside and outside its walls, merely a more intense, a concentrated version, as it were, of the male-dominated society that moulds it. (less)

:D ...it's like someone found the basis of the kyriarchic d---baggery I experience and dread in a book and actually made it to expressing about it!.

I mean isn't this stuff like bane of every autistic, male or not?.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 1:40 am

Do not disturb. I wish to sleep a long time.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 7:55 pm

"I read the Brontës as a story of sisterly solidarity. Gaskell, who also longed for sisters, did the same. She wrote that 'the affection among all three was stronger than either life or death', and even described 'the one heart of the three sisters', which makes them sound less lovingly connected than alarmingly conjoined". :P

Ellis, Samantha. Take Courage : Anne Brontë and the Art of Life. London: Chatto & Windus, 2017, p. 123.

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2019, 6:04 am

“Beauty belongs to the sphere of the simple, the ordinary, whilst ugliness is something extraordinary, and there is no question but that every ardent imagination prefers in lubricity, the extraordinary to the commonplace”

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 12:59 pm

Is that Marquis de Sade? ^

I'm reading Charlotte Brontë, so I could quote nearly every sentence. This one caught my eye:

"Time brings us on to the brink of the grave and Dissolution flings us in - a rag eaten through and through with disease, wrung together with pain, stamped into the churchyard sod by the inexorable heel of Despair".
~The Professor, p. 133

There's nothing quite so wretched as a heartbreak scene written by Charlotte! :wink:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:48 pm

“I believe in some blending of hope and sunshine sweetening the worst lots. I believe that this life is not all, neither the beginning nor the end. I believe while I tremble; I trust while I weep.”

Charlotte Brontë, Villette (1853)