Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 39 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 7:31 pm

I think I may have found myself a potential literary agent!

A meeting will be this Friday at 11:30 at the agency's office so here's hoping I don't panic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 8:07 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

A meeting will be this Friday at 11:30 at the agency's office so here's hoping I don't panic.

Good luck and huzzahs!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 6:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Good luck and huzzahs!

Thanks Sir Kraichgauer!

The meeting today went well and I should get a call within the next 1-2 weeks.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 8:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Good luck and huzzahs!

Thanks Sir Kraichgauer!

Best of luck!

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2020, 9:47 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Good luck and huzzahs!

Thanks Sir Kraichgauer!

Best of luck!

If they ask for money then turn them down. Legitamit agents get a cut only after making a sale.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 8:20 pm

Robert312 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Good luck and huzzahs!

Thanks Sir Kraichgauer!

Best of luck!

If they ask for money then turn them down. Legitamit agents get a cut only after making a sale.

I concur.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 4:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Good luck and huzzahs!

Thanks Sir Kraichgauer!

This is very exciting :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 3:26 am

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Horses-Writ ... 248&sr=1-1

While I've already posted this on it's own thread, I wanted to tell my fellow authors in particular that I had been invited to contribute a story in the anthology, Dark Horses.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 3:43 am

From first page of this thread.. not a fan of diagnosing ppl after their death.
Just cuz someone is verbose and seemingly solitary (that too, in their old age :roll: )

Mark Twain did not have Aspergers.
If someone is gonna assume he did and claim something without proof I can claim the opposite...

Anyone who reads his books particularly his humourous travel writing will see he picks up on and makes fun of things that someone with ASD may actually display.
He had tons of friends, got on socially and was asked often to deliver humourous speeches for clubs and companies.
He noticed social ineptitude and awkwardness in people, including things that we would now call echolalia and poor theory of mind and stimming--and made fun of it.
ETC

Back in the day the majority of middle-class people didn't go to rock concerts and watch Kardashians and talk like Homer Simpson to 'fit in.' They were actually expected to be well-read and intelligible. Writers were expected to be observant.

The slower nature of life back then itself made the writing and personalities at an easier pace and afforded people like him (or Dickens who people will also no doubt label with ASD if they haven't already ) time to think, read, meet, research, discuss, and perfect their craft. Hence, quality.
Like how we have comic book and film conventions now - across the board entertainment - writers like him were celebrated in that cult-ish way.

He was actually very gifted and GIFTED= ASPERGERS isn't always or even mostly the case. I've met and noticed very socially adept gifted people. Sharp mind = aspergers, etc :roll:
Oh he liked routine and his own country's food/etc preferences? Do you know someone who truly doesn't - how many people are ok with day to day changes, and a gypsy lifestyle? Is there anyone totally without a routine who is successful in this world??
Was it to a debilitating extent? No. Was it quite, quite normal? Yes.
Let's just keep diluting the definition too, to suit our whims and ego. That won't do any damage for those who actually have these things and actually struggle greatly.

This kinda stuff makes me SO angry.
edit to add: let me give an example of a writer from back then who almost definitely was on the spectrum- if we are to guess: hans christian anderson. dickens (who i love but am not blind to his glaring flaws) and his equally snotty daughter ACTUALLY made fun of him and disliked him, even basing Uriah Heep on him, despite having him over as a house guest. other writers - his colleagues- while admiring him -
admiring his work - in correspondence, got on--
did NOT get on with him in PERSON, the way Twain and Dickens and others got on - because he was just so ... Aspie.
if you read about him and what they and others wrote of him, you get an idea of why i'm saying this.
even his writing displays that stoic flawed theory of mind, attempt at dialogue in stories but reads like what a person such as myself would IMAGINE the person in that story to say based on observation and our own understanding and feelings--
rather than a natural flow u can get when hearing people or comparing against other writers-

which to those judgemental snobs (didn't know better, still) showed something creepy (like hidden malintent) about him. even his characters, when he tries to make them elaborate, show 'aspie'-ness to me.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 5:16 am

Not gonna touch the red-hot Twain issue...but there is a wonderful book by Julie Brown, a scholar (and mom of an Aspie) called...Writers on the Spectrum I think. In it, she puts Anderson (and Melville, Thoreau, and Lewis Carroll) in the dreaded box. More important than the celebs she fingers is the meticulous and rather convincing combination of medical and literary analysis she puts to use.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 5:20 am

I also had a terrible time learning to write ( if it can be said that I ever learned). From physical issues grasping a pencil (no keyboards back then!) which led to sloppy handwriting (dyspraxia?), to an inability to pick up grammar...it was a mess. And organizing my thoughts was as hard as putting them down on paper.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 7:20 am

Romofan wrote:
Not gonna touch the red-hot Twain issue...but there is a wonderful book by Julie Brown, a scholar (and mom of an Aspie) called...Writers on the Spectrum I think. In it, she puts Anderson (and Melville, Thoreau, and Lewis Carroll) in the dreaded box. More important than the celebs she fingers is the meticulous and rather convincing combination of medical and literary analysis she puts to use.

I still think speculation is a pathetic and unnecessary thing to do but im glad she agrees with me on Andy boy and the others make more sense than Twain. Have seen Carrolls supposed ASD being used to essentially justify pedophilia :skull:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 7:56 pm

Samuel Clemens was an oddball—but he was also a keen observer of human nature.

I don’t feel he had Aspergian traits at all.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 7:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I absolutely agree. Lovecraft, on the other hand...

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 7:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I absolutely agree. Lovecraft, on the other hand...

Lovecraft and Hans Anderson are undeniable.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 8:19 am

Samuel Clemens was an oddball—but he was also a keen observer of human nature...

I didn't want to comment on Twain because he is on a bunch of lists and I didn't feel like arguing, but I agree with you. He also seemed too socially successful, from an early age, to be an Aspie. The man travelled everywhere and hobnobbed with polished literati.

Compare him to Anderson or Lovecraft, both of whom had a hard time "getting it together" as we might say today. Both were in some sort of unspeakable agony for much of their youths, struggled mightily with identity and sexuality, and both writing styles were more brittle and odd than Twain's.

Of course again this is all speculation and I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings or trigger them :heart: :skull: