Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 35 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 45  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 7:58 pm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSGR6XW/re ... ng+shadows

I've gotten my first book published! And on top of that, it's my birthday! :D :D :D

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 1:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSGR6XW/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525222561&sr=1-5&keywords=creeping+shadows

I've gotten my first book published! And on top of that, it's my birthday! :D :D :D
Happy Birthday for yesterday and YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED!! !! !! ! :flower: :flower: :flower: congratulations :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 4:52 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSGR6XW/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525222561&sr=1-5&keywords=creeping+shadows

Happy Birthday for yesterday and YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED!! ! ! ! ! ! :flower: :flower: :flower: congratulations :D

Many thanks! If anyone has interest, my book can be found on Amazon.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 3:03 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Happy Birthday for yesterday and YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED!! ! ! ! ! ! :flower: :flower: :flower: congratulations :D

I looked at the book first :D and had a little read, very good :D . I don't have kindle though.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 5:05 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I looked at the book first :D and had a little read, very good :D . I don't have kindle though.

Thank you. It'll be in paperback hopefully by next week.

Lyeshea
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2018, 12:26 pm

I write sci-fi (Idk if it's appropriate, but you can check out a couple of my short stories. A red skull christmas and Preet. I'm working on revising that series so the characters "arc" more and have more character growth. That's really hard for me, but there a lot of resources about how to plan that and incorporate that, so I'm working on that.

I'm also toying with the idea of an autistic female superhero.

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2018, 10:04 am

Does anyone have tips on how to write neurotypical characters? I'm really struggling to write dialogue that makes sense to NTs. I don't fully grasp how to write a character that doesn't say exactly what they're thinking 95% of the time. Understanding subtext well enough to use it seems virtually impossible so far. I've been at this for almost 3 years.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 2:01 pm

SpreadsheetMaster wrote:
Does anyone have tips on how to write neurotypical characters? I'm really struggling to write dialogue that makes sense to NTs. I don't fully grasp how to write a character that doesn't say exactly what they're thinking 95% of the time. Understanding subtext well enough to use it seems virtually impossible so far. I've been at this for almost 3 years.
You are over thinking this. Even though NTs do this all the time they are for the most part unaware they do it to the extent that they do therefor you do not need to write in lots of subtext and innuendo. You will probably need some of your characters to be lying though, (for most genres) and some to be wrong in what they say because people often see things differently to each other and you can have characters not saying what they may want to say out of fear or for gain.

But I wouldn't worry about innuendo or subtext as most NT writers leave these out because in written form the reader is not picking up all the body language and subtle facial expressions that they would in real life therefor the writer has to be more straight forward and the emphasis is on clarity.

Hope that helps; what are you writing?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 2:51 pm

Sorry for this interjection that might divert from the subject at hand, but I just had to brag - - my book, Creeping Shadows, is now on audio! Currently it's on Audible, but will in a few days be available on audio on Amazon and iTunes. Dilly! Dilly! :D

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 3:41 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
^Awesome!

Thank you! 8)

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2018, 7:07 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
SpreadsheetMaster wrote:
You are over thinking this. Even though NTs do this all the time they are for the most part unaware they do it to the extent that they do therefor you do not need to write in lots of subtext and innuendo. You will probably need some of your characters to be lying though, (for most genres) and some to be wrong in what they say because people often see things differently to each other and you can have characters not saying what they may want to say out of fear or for gain.

But I wouldn't worry about innuendo or subtext as most NT writers leave these out because in written form the reader is not picking up all the body language and subtle facial expressions that they would in real life therefor the writer has to be more straight forward and the emphasis is on clarity.

Hope that helps; what are you writing?

This comes from feedback I've gotten. "The characters sound like cardboard cutouts" "It seems like everyone is just saying exactly what they're thinking." "Do you really think people talk like this?" "This is really bad." "This is cheesy. " and so on. I can't figure out what the problem is much of the time. My characters say what they mean unless they're being deceitful or hiding something.

I'm writing a space opera series. More or less New Adult in tone.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 1:53 am

I think it's Neil Gaiman that said 'If people point to something wrong in your writing they are almost always right, if they say exactly what and how to fix it they are almost always wrong.' If your feed backs come from different people (I'm assuming it has) then your dialogue probably does have some problems. That feedback you got could be interpreted in different ways so it's not very helpful.

You could put a paragraph or two of your work on this thread since it's on topic if you wanted. The responses would offer fuller explanations. Or you can PM with it. The good thing about dialogue is that a small section is plenty to see what the problem with it is.

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2018, 6:02 pm

Unfortunately critique that simply tells me my writing is bad without any suggestions on improving is rarely helpful since I can't figure out what the problem is. I did improve some on the dialogue since some of those comments, but there's still some overly direct comments slipping through and some people still think the characters all sound the same even though I spent hours learning how to address that and implemented it.

I'll post the first exchange of dialogue that has a lot of characters involved. This is draft 3, but it probably still has issues.

Quote:
After a few other announcements, the students left the gym. It was still early enough in the day that the students could spend time anywhere on the premises of the orphanage other than the school.

“I want to show you my new books. Can you come to our dorm?” Kagura asked.

“Sure. And I can help with your math,” said Gerald.

“Look out!” Marcus shouted.

Gerald turned around to see Dylan lunging toward him.

“I saw that stunt you pulled at lunch, half-blood. You should be locked away.” Dylan raised his fists.

“Dylan, calm down, Gerald let it go,” Marcus stuttered.

“No, it’s fine.” Gerald stared Dylan down.

Jessica and a few others in the white group walked behind Dylan.

“Yeah, get that dumb brute!” Jessica shouted.

Dylan threw a punch at Gerald, but he dodged at the last second.

“Stay put, scum. You need a lesson!” Dylan snarled.

Gerald raised his fists.

“Don’t fight back, Gerald! You’ll get in trouble!” Amy cried.

“Not if I finish it fast enough.” Gerald punched Dylan in the gut.

Dylan flinched, but kicked Gerald in the shins. Gerald kneeled, his shins throbbing in pain. Dylan tried to punch Gerald again, but Gerald dropped to the ground and rolled away.

“You can’t hide from me!” Dylan ran and kicked Gerald in the face as he tried to get up.

Gerald groaned in pain. His chin felt wet as he pulled himself up.

“Stop. The staff will see you!” Amy pleaded.

Dylan ran for another hit, but a few students from the other grades walked into view.

“Ugh. I’ll let you off easy this time,” Dylan said. He walked away, followed by his flunkies.

“Are you okay, Gerald?” Amy asked, walking to him and looking at his face.

“It’s fine. I’ll get him back,” Gerald answered. He looked back and caught a glimpse of Mr. Zeagler looking through the window, but he stepped away.

Amy frowned, but didn’t reply.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 7:20 am

Hello SpreadsheetMaster, thanks for sharing.

I can see why that critiquing was more confusing than helpful. If anything I put is not clear just ask.

I'm going to respond in more than one post.

Before I start is it ok if I use (rewrite) some of your writing to make my points as this will be easier and clearer than making up examples. I'm asking because some writers don't like this.

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2018, 9:25 am

Sure, I don't mind.