What was the last album you listened to?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jason Thayer
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Mar 2024, 6:50 pm

Post your thoughts on the last album you listened to!
Public Enemy: It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988)
Genre: Hip Hop
If you were to ask me where you should start if you wanted excellent hip-hop music, this is one of the albums I’d put on. Chuck D envisioned this album as his “What’s Going On”, referencing Marvin Gaye’s timeless lament of social unrest. This is one of Public Enemy’s masterpieces (in fact, part of what I consider a trilogy, including “Fear of a Black Planet” and “Apocalypse 91: The Enemy Strikes Black”.) The album includes the original version of “Bring the Noise”, which the trio would remix with Anthrax on “Apocalypse 91”. Like its inspiration, not much has been done to change what is being rapped about, whether it’s tuning in to “Channel Zero” (although these days, Chuck would probably be talking about reality shows instead of soap operas.) or drug addiction. Best tracks: “Bring the Noise”, “Rebel Without a Pause”, “Louder Than a Bomb”, “Party For Your Right to Fight”, “Black Steel in an Hour of Chaos”, "Night of the Living Baseheads".
Note: could someone help me post an image? I've forgotten how to do it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 12:04 am

Open Wound - Come Correct
Genre: beatdown hardcore

It starts with a brief sample of O Death by Ralph Stanley, just before relentlessly punching the listener square in the face for the next 26 minutes. Typical of contemporary beatdown bands it mixes in significant influence from slam without ever deviating far enough from the tough guy hardcore formula. Only 8 songs, but they're all catchy and memorable. Perfect for spinkicking holes in the walls and punching at the floor. Come on, those invisible ninjas won't fight themselves.

Also; minus the spaces:
[ img]url goes here[/ img]

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

traven
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 3:05 am

album? i think that is a record, guess a dvd counts as album?
some big band compilation, do not really prefer that, it was alright
old django r compilation
r stones live 'pirat' dvd

Niacin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2024, 5:02 am

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 7:00 am

Jack White Fear of the Dawn