Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 22 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next

JDM1992
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2013, 9:48 pm

Faceless wrote:
This may stray from the topic but at the same time fit in this thread.

I'm play bass, and am looking forward to being in a band if I can find other musicians.

My stepdad was saying the other day that because of my AS I may not be able to handle touring. This obviously isn't true, is it? I should be able to handle it.

Your step-Dad is sorta wrong. I know of a guy called Travis Meeks. He is the lead singer of the 90's group Days Of The New. The dude is famous for his tune "Touch, Peel, & Stand". He claimed the record company allowed him 2 tour buses due to his need for a calm environment to write his music. The most stressful thing about it would probably be home sickness. I know EVERY musician has suffered with that at one point if they are on the road to tour. I cannot be certain now as like you I'm a bass player with the desire to go pro and endorse Ampeg or Mesa Amplifiers and Spector basses. I started playing at 8 but have never been able to find a decent group of musicians. Good luck. 8)

There is no hope for my future. A failure is all I am and all I will
ever be.

7balloons
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2013, 10:01 pm

Owl city has aspergers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Feb 2013, 4:51 am

If David Bowie or John Lennon are/were Aspies, then I'll stop listening to their music.

(Not because I refuse to listen to music by Aspies- I like Owl City- but I am making a statement of my certainty that they are not autistic)

"Feeling different" and "getting angry" are universal human traits.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 12:37 am

The_Walrus wrote:
"Feeling different" and "getting angry" are universal human traits.

Absolutely!

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2013, 10:42 pm

Anyone know about Ladyhawke? She's a musician and has Aspergers. For those who like Rap, Example and 50 Tyson have it. One has Asperger's, another autism respectively.

WildflowerENTP
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2013, 2:46 am

I'm surprised that more hasn't been said about Danny Elfman. I'm a die-hard Oingo Boingo fan, and based on everything I've read about him, he probably has Asperger's. He's always been known as a freak and a geek, isn't shy but has always been socially awkward, and has always had weird obsessions. He's definitely eccentric, is a self-taught genius, and has an obsessive cult following. I don't think he's been diagnosed, he just has all the signs of Asperger's.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 1:16 am

WildflowerENTP wrote:
I'm surprised that more hasn't been said about Danny Elfman. I'm a die-hard Oingo Boingo fan, and based on everything I've read about him, he probably has Asperger's. He's always been known as a freak and a geek, isn't shy but has always been socially awkward, and has always had weird obsessions. He's definitely eccentric, is a self-taught genius, and has an obsessive cult following. I don't think he's been diagnosed, he just has all the signs of Asperger's.

Someone told me that I was like Danny Elfman when I perfomed as the singer and songwriter with my band...

WildflowerENTP
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2013, 7:07 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Someone told me that I was like Danny Elfman when I perfomed as the singer and songwriter with my band...

Since none of the local karaoke DJs have a karaoke version of any of his songs and I don't have the equiptment to make my own karaoke CDs, I never realized how much my vocal style was influenced by his until I got to singing along with his songs while I was alone. All the time I've been a fan of his, and all the time I've been singing, it just didn't dawn on me until recently. Of course I have my own unique vocal style, but I was amazed at how much more natural I sound singing along with Oingo Boingo songs at home than I do when I'm singing more mainstream songs that the DJs have a karaoke version of.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 7:29 pm

Rivers Cuomo from Weezer.

Or maybe he's just a wannabe.
https://twitter.com/RiversCuomo/status/3736804616

ferrousfan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2013, 7:57 am

What about Graham Coxon from Blur?

evehallows
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2013, 1:25 pm

What about Tom Petty?

bombergal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2013, 11:55 am

I am a classically trained pianist with Asperger's syndrome and admire those other musicians from the autism spectrum (James Durbin, for example). People always say I have such passion and intensity when I play and I hope to have the same intensity for the rest of my life.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 5:11 pm

ferrousfan wrote:
What about Graham Coxon from Blur?

I've said it before, I'm quite sure it was in this thread: there's definitely something about him, could be neuroatypicality or something else. :)

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 3:13 pm

I think Jonas Renkse from Katatonia has Aspergers. His lyrics are all about isolation and feeling alienated and distant. He's an extremely shy and quiet person. Even during his live performances he rarely looks at the crowd. Usually he either hides behind his hair or has his eyes closed....

Another musician with Aspergers....me :D

FerrariFan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2013, 12:53 pm

I am a full-time professional musician. I have toured literally all over the world and performed for tens of millions of people.

I am new to this and just discovering much about Aspergers. I am not diagnosed, but suspect that I may have it as it explains a LOT of my life.

I can get out on the stage and perform really well, but am very anti-social. I much prefer sitting at my house and doing nothing or as little as possible.

ninefifteen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2013, 9:20 am

There's an interesting NPR interview Questlove did recently, he and Terry Gross discuss things like his characteristic "nonchalance," obsessive memory and developmental concerns his parents had. When asked if he could have been diagnosed with something as a child, he replies "I think there are different degrees of autism," and while he didn't fit any known criterion then, his parents were concerned enough about things like his obsession with spinning objects (could watch a record player for hours) to take him to "find out if something was wrong."

He talks about finding things easy that others find hard, like writing long compositions with multiple parts and time changes, but not having the "pop sensibility" to write anything simple. Also responds that if quizzed about it, he'd "without a doubt" know the BPM of most of the 70,000 songs on a harddrive he DJs with. There are some other developmental things, like early technical interests, and obsessions with minutiae such as the instances a green & yellow color scheme was used on Soul Train (Would link to it but for WP's algorithmic spammer defenses). He seems a true craftsman, and I can say from experience he's a humble yet riveting stage presence.