Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 22 of 29 [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,744
Location: USA

07 May 2014, 9:53 am

mezzanotte wrote:
[insert names of favorite dead musicians/ composers here]

[insert persuasive argument that listed names are aspies based on theoretical, non-empirical evidence]

[bask in the warm, beautiful belief that my favorite musicians/ composers are neurologically similar to myself]


Most of the evidence HAS been empirical, not theoretical, it's just not enough.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,506
Location: Washington, D.C.

07 May 2014, 10:03 am

Ganondox wrote:
Most of the evidence HAS been empirical, not theoretical, it's just not enough.


Unfortunately that's not true in the case of the long-dead composers who I listen to.



charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 13 Mar 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 202
Location: Boston

08 May 2014, 7:22 am

There are 25 responses to this, but I wonder if anyone mentioned Ladyhawke. She has not only admitted to having Asperger's, but wrote a few songs about it on her second album.


_________________
I'm not strange. I'm just drawn that way. That being said, work on your drawing skills already!


Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,744
Location: USA

10 May 2014, 11:55 am

mezzanotte wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Most of the evidence HAS been empirical, not theoretical, it's just not enough.


Unfortunately that's not true in the case of the long-dead composers who I listen to.


The vast majority of people here are talking about contemporary musicians.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Joined: 12 May 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 177
Location: England

13 May 2014, 5:01 pm

jly88 wrote:
Surprised that no one here has mentioned J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. To me he comes off as the ultimate Asperger's posterchild- VERY monotone voice, flattened affect, not a lot of eye contact, kind of lives off in his own little world, etc. There's a book I own on the 80s American underground called Our Band Could Be Your Life that has a chapter in it on Dinosaur Jr, and one of the things they mentioned was how during J's college years he would always sit around by himself in the cafeteria making sculptures out of his food. Sounds like definite Aspie behavior to me, and I'm pretty sure there were other things they mentioned that had me wondering as well. I know he's straight edge which would rule out drugs, so there's gotta be at least something going on there.



i've read our band could be our life, and the recent official dinosaur jr book. Both J and Lou both seem like likely candidates to me. Their reunion was sparked off by an impromptu performance of J and Lou's first band, deep wound, at an autism benefit organised by Lou's mother. Wonder if they played that because they are affected (and have just kept it quiet), or maybe they are just both quiet and eccentric for other reasons



eth1017
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2014
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4

17 May 2014, 12:24 am

it wouldn't surprise me at all if Elliott Smith had Asperger's syndrome



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,002
Location: Alberta, Canada

17 May 2014, 8:59 pm

It's a well-known fact that Gary Numan is an aspie. I'm having trouble thinking of any others though. It just doesn't seem that being a popular musician is something that would be conducive to having Aspergers. I know that a lot of rock stars hate the massive amounts of attention they receive and become reclusive as a result, though I could see this happening to virtually anyone who has thousands of screaming fans.

Thinking about it now, Maynard James Keenan may be an aspie, and Micheal Jackson may have been as well.

Does anyone have a list of musicians who have been confirmed to have AS/HFA, or at least have self-diagnosed? I would love to see it.



Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,744
Location: USA

19 May 2014, 11:34 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
It's a well-known fact that Gary Numan is an aspie. I'm having trouble thinking of any others though. It just doesn't seem that being a popular musician is something that would be conducive to having Aspergers. I know that a lot of rock stars hate the massive amounts of attention they receive and become reclusive as a result, though I could see this happening to virtually anyone who has thousands of screaming fans.

Thinking about it now, Maynard James Keenan may be an aspie, and Micheal Jackson may have been as well.

Does anyone have a list of musicians who have been confirmed to have AS/HFA, or at least have self-diagnosed? I would love to see it.


Philipa Brown (Ladyhawke)
James Durbin (American Idol Finalist)
Travis Meeks (Days of the New)
Adam Young (Owl City)
Aleksander Vinter (Savant)
Susan Boyle (Britian's Got Talent Finalist)
Johnny Dean (Menswear)
Criag Nicholas (The Vines)
Alan Wilson (Canned Heat)
Marty Balin (Jefferson Airplane)
David Byrne (Talking Heads)
Courtney Love (Hole)


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,002
Location: Alberta, Canada

23 May 2014, 5:01 am

Ganondox wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
It's a well-known fact that Gary Numan is an aspie. I'm having trouble thinking of any others though. It just doesn't seem that being a popular musician is something that would be conducive to having Aspergers. I know that a lot of rock stars hate the massive amounts of attention they receive and become reclusive as a result, though I could see this happening to virtually anyone who has thousands of screaming fans.

Thinking about it now, Maynard James Keenan may be an aspie, and Micheal Jackson may have been as well.

Does anyone have a list of musicians who have been confirmed to have AS/HFA, or at least have self-diagnosed? I would love to see it.


Philipa Brown (Ladyhawke)
James Durbin (American Idol Finalist)
Travis Meeks (Days of the New)
Adam Young (Owl City)
Aleksander Vinter (Savant)
Susan Boyle (Britian's Got Talent Finalist)
Johnny Dean (Menswear)
Criag Nicholas (The Vines)
Alan Wilson (Canned Heat)
Marty Balin (Jefferson Airplane)
David Byrne (Talking Heads)
Courtney Love (Hole)


I'm actually rather surprised that Courtney Love is on that list, and she was officially diagnosed too! 8O Granted, she was 3 years old when they diagnosed her, and this would have been back in 1967, so it leaves me a little bit doubtful.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 75,027
Location: Queens, NYC

23 May 2014, 7:42 am

Nobody was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 1967--you could count on that!

I don't believe the diagnosis existed until 1994.

Asperger's work was only known in exclusive academic-psychological circles until about the 1980s.

Perhaps Courtney Love was diagnosed with something like "Minimal Brain Dysfunction" or "brain injury," as I was in the early 1960s.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,002
Location: Alberta, Canada

23 May 2014, 3:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nobody was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 1967--you could count on that!

I don't believe the diagnosis existed until 1994.

Asperger's work was only known in exclusive academic-psychological circles until about the 1980s.

Perhaps Courtney Love was diagnosed with something like "Minimal Brain Dysfunction" or "brain injury," as I was in the early 1960s.


Apparently she was diagnosed with "mild autism", but even then it still sort of surprises me as they surely would have thrown her in an institution back then.



franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 738

01 Jun 2014, 9:02 am

have no idea how to delete posts so :? :lol:



Last edited by franknfurter on 02 Jun 2014, 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,744
Location: USA

01 Jun 2014, 11:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nobody was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 1967--you could count on that!

I don't believe the diagnosis existed until 1994.

Asperger's work was only known in exclusive academic-psychological circles until about the 1980s.

Perhaps Courtney Love was diagnosed with something like "Minimal Brain Dysfunction" or "brain injury," as I was in the early 1960s.


She was diagnosed with "mild autism" when she was nine years old.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 75,027
Location: Queens, NYC

05 Jun 2014, 4:04 pm

That would have been around 1970 or so.

I think things were more progressive by then than during the 1950's or early 1960s.

There was much impetus for de-institutionalization then.

I'd be interested to know if she were placed in a special school, or a special class within a public school system.

There's one thing that didn't exist until 1973 in the US: the mandate to attempt to mainstream kids.



DeformedNostrils
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 7

30 Aug 2014, 11:02 pm

I'm posting in this thread for the first time in two months

Pete Townshend said John Entwistle had Asperger's and Roger Daltrey said Keith Moon had autism and savant capabilities. All of them were in the Who.

Michael Jackson obviously had Asperger's. Though people say his childhood was responsible for his eccentricity, it should be noted none of his brothers turned out like him despite being raised in the same environment.

Kurt Cobain had a disturbed childhood, and no social skills at school. He was bullied and developed an obsession with punk rock. Also, depressive disorders are often co-morbid with Asperger's. He stated often how he never fitted in; his personality was erratic before he became a drug addict.

Also, John Lennon DID NOT have Asperger's, he had Borderline Personality Disorder and Yoko Ono is obsessed with finding a cure to autism.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,002
Location: Alberta, Canada

31 Aug 2014, 2:54 am

Didn't Kurt Cobain have bipolar disorder?