Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 28 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

purpletoupee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2016, 8:14 pm

I wonder if the singer from Mazzy Star, Hope Sandoval, had Aspergers. To be honest I don't have much to go on but I know she was extremely shy/socially anxious and was always really uncomfortable in interviews and on stage.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm

I have always thought that Al Stewart (Year Of The Cat) might have HFA.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 11:31 pm

Not sure if anu one has mentioned it, but I suspect maybe Jackson C Frank could have been on the spectrum.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/ ... 60s-legend

rjs_11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2017, 12:39 am

Robert Smith

Richard D. James (Aphex Twin)

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 3:27 pm

\|/
/|\ There are so many, but, off the top of my head > J o n i M i t c h e l l

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 3:34 am

Britte wrote:
\|/

What are her autistic traits?.

The brain aneurism and her self report of the unofficial Morgellons Disease has been documented.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 4:49 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Britte wrote:
\|/

What are her autistic traits?.

The brain aneurism and her self report of the unofficial Morgellons Disease has been documented.

Well, I don't have any scientific proof or the like, however, if you listen, carefully, to what she expresses through her lyrics and the way that she composes music, she exposes a multitude of traits, I believe. I've been able to relate to her/her music/lyrics, from my early childhood, as her music made me feel balanced, alive and understood. She is emotionally sensitive, perceptive, analytical and logical, (and, yes, contrary to popular belief, you can think in logical terms, while being a deeply sensitive person), and we express the deepest aspects of ourselves, almost exclusively, through art/ music and writing.

She has taken a different direction in life, in recent years, but, in past, she would mention how much harder she had to work at life, socially and emotionally, and, it took her a long time to accept fame and, to allow others to put monetary value on her art/music, as she hadn't set out to become a renowned artist. She played to express herself, and, to give to others and make extra money, enough to pay her bills, and the fame that came, had been a burden to her psyche. The compromises and sacrifices she has had to consider, going against the wiring of her brain, her personality and her convictions. She has been taken advantage of, throughout her life. She is a perfectionist. She needs a lot of solitude and down-time, away from the world. She is deeply humble. She doesn't see age, color or race, ability, disability. She is inclusive of all, and she is incorrigibly open-minded and non-judgmental. She is sensory sensitive. She has Absolute Pitch. She doesn't engage in small-talk. She absorbs the feelings/emotions and energy of others, easily, and has to consciously work at blocking it, and, I, too, am on this end of the spectrum, so to speak. She was sent by her parents, to an annalist when she was very young, and she describes her perceptions of herself, and her parent's and the annalist's perceptions of her, within the song, Twisted (pasted, below), although, this particular song isn't the music that I refer to, when I speak of the AS traits that she exudes through her music. I'm no expert, and I have, even, been questioning my own diagnoses, in recent months, but, anyway, those are my thoughts, in response to your inquiry...

~Twisted

My analyst told me
That I was right out of my head
The way he described it
He said I'd be better dead than live
I didn't listen to his jive
I knew all along
That he was all wrong
And I knew that he thought
I was crazy but I'm not, oh no

My analyst told me
He said I'd need treatment
But I'm not that easily led
He said I was the type
That was most inclined
When out of his sight
To be out of my mind
And he thought I was nuts
No more ifs or ands or buts

They say as a child
I appeared a little bit wild
With all my crazy ideas
But I knew what was happening
I knew I was a genius
What's so strange when you know
That you're a wizard at three?
I knew that this was meant to be

Now I heard little children
Were supposed to sleep tight
That's why I got into the vodka one night
My parents got frantic
Didn't know what to do
But I saw some crazy scenes
Before I came to
Now do you think I was crazy?
I may have been only three
But I was swinging

They all laugh at angry young men
They all laugh at Edison
And also at Einstein
So why should I feel sorry
If they just couldn't understand
The idiomatic logic
That went on in my head
I had a brain
It was insane
Oh, they used to laugh at me
When I refused to ride
On all those double decker buses
All because there was no driver on the top

My analyst told me
But I said dear doctor
I think that it's you instead
Because I have got a thing
That's unique and new
To prove it I'll have
The last laugh on you
'Cause instead of one head
I got two
And you know two heads are better than one

Last edited by Britte on 05 Mar 2017, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwingateLane
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2017, 4:54 pm

Nick Drake

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 12:47 pm

Musicians as most creative people are more likely to be "different" than those in other lines of work. I do think that a higher percentage of creative people are on the spectrum than in other cohorts. Several recent studies have suggested this is true. Still, if 98 percent of the population is not autistic it would seem to reason that a large majority of musicians are not autistic.

If one is going to speculate one should base it on more than he or she seems quirky and socially awkward. Autism has been labeled a "pervasive" condition for a reason. In my earlier post about Glenn Gould, I presented evidence of obsessive repetitive routines and possible stimming both verbal and physical.

I do wish more musicians and creative people would come out as autistic to help delegitimize stigmas and provide examples of success for other autistics.

We become fans of a musician sometimes because their work and their presentation we can relate to in some way. To say we can only relate to the musician because the musician is probably autistic limits ourselves. The widespread identifying of celebrities and historical figures as autistics has given people who think we are needy or autistic wannabees a weapon to use against us. Yes, haters will hate and one can not live ones life solely to please other people. But if one is going to give other people weapons to use against us there should be good reasons.

If you want to speculate about celebrities for purely fun reasons a long as you say that is what you are doing, fine. To do it to note that people with strong autistic traits can be successful is a good thing. But that is as far as it should go.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 3:29 pm

James Durbin of American Idol Fame and the new lead singer of Quiet Riot.
American Idol' favorite overcomes Tourette's, Asperger's

Quote:
I believe it was December of '98 when my dad passed away of an overdose. A few weeks later, around my 10th birthday, I was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome and Asperger's syndrome.
It was a really rough time, especially at that age, being told I have a neurological "disease," when I already felt so different.
At that point I was being bullied for being different, having big ears, and now for having no dad AND for making weird faces and noises I couldn't control. I was a walking target.

'American Idol' Alum James Durbin Picked as New Singer of Quiet Riot - Billboard March 3, 2017

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 2:42 am

Hi AsPartOfMe, I am not sure if your post had been in response to my response to your inquiry on the previous page, but, thought I'd mention that Joni Mitchell has in fact, mentioned 'autistic'/'autistic-like' traits, that she possesses, in some of her interviews. The title of this thread included (Or may have?), therefore, I didn't think it would be inappropriate for me to state my thoughts. I do understand where you are coming from, however, and I think you make valid points.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

Britte wrote:
Hi AsPartOfMe, I am not sure if your post had been in response to my response to your inquiry on the previous page, but, thought I'd mention that Joni Mitchell has in fact, mentioned 'autistic'/'autistic-like' traits, that she possesses, in some of her interviews. The title of this thread included (Or may have?), therefore, I didn't think it would be inappropriate for me to state my thoughts. I do understand where you are coming from, however, and I think you make valid points.

You have not done it but I see people listing just a name and that is it. But I do feel strongly about what I wrote. If you do not have time do not bother but I would love to see the Joni Mitchell autism quotes.

MorganG729
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2017, 5:08 am

Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree.

I don't know this factually, as he is a very introverted figure, but the second I read the first post in this thread he came to mind as a favorite musician of mine who would "fit the description".

Edit: I noticed he was already mentioned. Still, an underappreciated musician, in my opinion.

goodbenefit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2017, 8:33 am

Also:
Craig Nicholls - The Vines
Marco Ricci - Casa del Mirto
maybe Bradford Cox - Atlas Sound and Deerhunter

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2017, 8:48 am

Yupa wrote:
It's common knowledge that pianist Glenn Gould and the lead singer of the Vines both had Asperger's Syndrome, but can any of us think of any others?
This topic occured to me after I read the wikipedia article on Tom Shear of the one man band Assemblage 23, who, although not diagnosed, seemed very much like he had Asperger's Syndrome.

Keith Jarrett, the brilliant jazz pianist famous for his solo piano free-improvisation may have Aspergers. He struggles with sensory overload, social interactions and has obsessions such as booking the same apartment room whenever he revisits a country.

Feel free to chat with me or add me on Facebook

Facebook profile: https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... r.71404976

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2017, 8:50 am

SwingateLane wrote:
Nick Drake

Really? He's one of my favourite musicians!

Feel free to chat with me or add me on Facebook

Facebook profile: https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... r.71404976