Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 27 of 31 [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,026
Location: Long Island, New York

25 Jun 2015, 8:05 pm



Possible traits mentioned
Touring causing anxiety had quit at the time
Did not like "Life Begins at The Hop" a socializing song
Attraction to Water desire to walk into it.(Autistic kids wander into water)
Stomach Problems
Issues Psychologists could not figure out, needed quiet to deal with it.

Of course they wrote a song called "Senses Working Overtime"


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 329
Location: Colorado, United States

15 Nov 2015, 8:18 pm

I didn't check thoroughly to see if someone had already mentioned him, but Bill Bruford of Yes and King Crimson may be a mild aspie (kind of like me). He just seems so awkward and goofy when he drums - he strikes me as a bombastic sort of aspie with a big personality, but still kind of awkward:



And during this 1984 interview, he seemed to dart around a lot with his gaze, make jokes that only he laughed at sometimes (although I laughed a bit too), and what really struck me was his resentment of the "surfer rock" scene in the U.S. in the late 60s, something that almost any non-autistic person would have been into at the time because it was "cool" and "popular":



I also think Bob Fripp might be, but more of the reserved and introverted type like me.


_________________
"Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art."

-- Claude Debussy


crystal20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 19 Nov 2015
Age: 29
Posts: 8

19 Nov 2015, 3:39 am

Keyboard player/Drummer Damon Edge, Founder of the band Chrome. Was quite reclusive and hated playing live, even though the band had a very large european fan base in the late 70's and early 80's. Monotonous voice, also during his later French incarnation of Chrome, instructed the hired musicians to play as passionlessly, and as robotically as possible. Found dead of suicide in 1995. :) 8O :D



murella
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 18 Nov 2015
Age: 31
Posts: 3

19 Nov 2015, 8:54 pm

Justin Broadrick
Aaron Turner
Billy Anderson (more sound producer than musician)

Probably James Plotkin but anough interviews and no videos to detect exactly.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,026
Location: Long Island, New York

20 Nov 2015, 7:49 am

deafghost52 wrote:
I didn't check thoroughly to see if someone had already mentioned him, but Bill Bruford of Yes and King Crimson may be a mild aspie (kind of like me). He just seems so awkward and goofy when he drums - he strikes me as a bombastic sort of aspie with a big personality, but still kind of awkward:



And during this 1984 interview, he seemed to dart around a lot with his gaze, make jokes that only he laughed at sometimes (although I laughed a bit too), and what really struck me was his resentment of the "surfer rock" scene in the U.S. in the late 60s, something that almost any non-autistic person would have been into at the time because it was "cool" and "popular":




I also think Bob Fripp might be, but more of the reserved and introverted type like me.


It would not surprise me if a lot of progressive rock musicians are on the spectrum. Escortic topics most often not about sex/relationships, exacting detailed sound.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 329
Location: Colorado, United States

20 Nov 2015, 9:50 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
deafghost52 wrote:
I didn't check thoroughly to see if someone had already mentioned him, but Bill Bruford of Yes and King Crimson may be a mild aspie (kind of like me). He just seems so awkward and goofy when he drums - he strikes me as a bombastic sort of aspie with a big personality, but still kind of awkward:



And during this 1984 interview, he seemed to dart around a lot with his gaze, make jokes that only he laughed at sometimes (although I laughed a bit too), and what really struck me was his resentment of the "surfer rock" scene in the U.S. in the late 60s, something that almost any non-autistic person would have been into at the time because it was "cool" and "popular":




I also think Bob Fripp might be, but more of the reserved and introverted type like me.


It would not surprise me if a lot of progressive rock musicians are on the spectrum. Escortic topics most often not about sex/relationships, exacting detailed sound.


Yeah, but some of the immensely successful ones (like Rush's Neil Peart) strike me as being so mildly autistic that they're practically outside the criteria for formal diagnosis, so they're just seen as "oddballs" really.


_________________
"Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art."

-- Claude Debussy


Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2015
Posts: 14,743
Location: Seventh Heaven

20 Nov 2015, 10:26 am

I'm extremely musical, and I see the world as patterns and wavelengths and energy streams. I play the piano [quite well] and the ocarina [badly], and love singing and dancing. Is anyone else like me?


_________________
Quote:
A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII


deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 329
Location: Colorado, United States

20 Nov 2015, 11:20 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
I'm extremely musical, and I see the world as patterns and wavelengths and energy streams. I play the piano [quite well] and the ocarina [badly], and love singing and dancing. Is anyone else like me?


That depends - do you have absolute pitch, and do you nickname certain keys based on how they make you feel? (e.g., I've nicknamed B-flat major "God's key signature" because of its warmth and benevolence - B-flat major represents His unrequited love for us, and the parallel g minor represents the pain and sadness He must experience constantly because of all of our suffering and depravity; for me, g minor is evidence that God cries too)


_________________
"Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art."

-- Claude Debussy


Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2015
Posts: 14,743
Location: Seventh Heaven

20 Nov 2015, 11:28 am

^No, but listening to music and musical instruments paints pictures in my head, and certain instruments remind me of certain things [for example, string instruments remind me of birds, Eastern instruments remind me of dragons, flutes remind me of faeries and mysterious creatures in forests, and so forth].


_________________
Quote:
A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII


deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 329
Location: Colorado, United States

20 Nov 2015, 11:39 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
^No, but listening to music and musical instruments paints pictures in my head, and certain instruments remind me of certain things [for example, string instruments remind me of birds, Eastern instruments remind me of dragons, flutes remind me of faeries and mysterious creatures in forests, and so forth].


That's cool that you have a deep timbrel relationship with music, and that certain instruments remind of you of certain things. I find it a shame though that certain keys/modes don't make you feel a certain way - I just listened to "The Plagues" from The Prince of Egypt and wept like a baby...so much pain in that song (it's in g/e minor btw - that's another thing I like is the "chromatic mediant" relationship between such keys; it adds SO much more depth to the emotion of the piece).


_________________
"Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art."

-- Claude Debussy


Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2015
Posts: 14,743
Location: Seventh Heaven

20 Nov 2015, 11:42 am

^Well, they do make me feel emotions, but I don't automatically associate a certain key with a certain emotion.


_________________
Quote:
A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII


deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 329
Location: Colorado, United States

20 Nov 2015, 11:49 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
^Well, they do make me feel emotions, but I don't automatically associate a certain key with a certain emotion.


Sorry, I misunderstood. I mean, I assumed you felt something with music, I just didn't think you associated certain keys/modes with certain emotions, and thus it was more of a general thing. (Plus, I wasn't sure about how much emotion you feel when listening to certain music, because I only know that for me it can become overwhelming at times and break me down into tears)


_________________
"Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art."

-- Claude Debussy


Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2015
Posts: 14,743
Location: Seventh Heaven

20 Nov 2015, 11:52 am

I often feel like I've been transported away into a magical dimension where the wavelengths are travelling around me when I close my eyes while listening to music I like. I only like orchestral, classical, and ancient music, though [along with my favourite video game soundtracks]. :nerdy:


_________________
Quote:
A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII


murella
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 18 Nov 2015
Age: 31
Posts: 3

22 Nov 2015, 4:56 pm

[youtube]PkdmwKXNXAQ[/youtube]
[youtube]kOb00HMPxzE[/youtube]
Well... I can't post links as new user, but you can find this two documentaries on youtube by links endings or by names: 1. Such Hawks Such Hounds, 2. Blood, Sweat, Vinyl. DIY in the 21st Century
There are a lot of nice music and people including aspies. Just try to detect some of them excluding persons I've posted earlier :D

PS: sorry for my English :oops:



richay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 25 Nov 2015
Age: 27
Posts: 4
Location: New York

27 Nov 2015, 1:52 pm

some of the known ones (or at least suspected ones in pop music) are brian eno (keyboardist from roxy music) and gary numan