All nerdy music instruments have turned out to be kinda cool

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 6:59 pm

Growing up on a steady diet of cartoons and sitcoms I soon learned some musical instruments were considered nerdy at best.

Accordions, Ukuleles, Banjos, and Bagpipes were the ones usually attacked (does the kazoo and it's ilk count as instruments?).

As I grew older though I realized this was nothing but baloney.

The Accordion after all is associated with Cajans, Italy, and France all of which will be forever romanticized.

The Ukulele as the defacto interment of Hawaii will forever be cool.

The Banjo while never exactly cool is very lovable.

And the Bagpipe possibly the loudest, most shrill and obnoxious musical instrument ever created seems almost to have been meant to be part of rock n roll. 8)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 7:33 pm

KoRn makes good use of bagpipes in some of their early songs, so you could say they've already been reclaimed somewhat. :P

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 7:55 pm

Dropkick Murphys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropkick_Murphys and Flatfoot 56 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatfoot_56 use bagpipes famously.

The Klezmatics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Klezmatics use a klezmer and an accordian. That is pretty nerdy. :D

Is the bodhrán https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhr%C3%A1n not nerdy enough?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2014, 9:41 pm

My personal favorite is the hurdy-gurdy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdy_gurdy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypuaJLHK_LQ

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm

Does the piano count as nerdy? That's what I grew up playing. It seems like everyone else plays the guitar instead.

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 10:51 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Does the piano count as nerdy? That's what I grew up playing. It seems like everyone else plays the guitar instead.

Nah "everyone" enjoys great balls of fire.

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 3:54 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

Looks like there's many "rock pianists" 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rock_pianists

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 1:35 am

Trent Reznor is an exceptional pianist, and a good number of Nine Inch Nails songs make use of his somber compositions, most notably "Something I Can Never Have". Cliff Burton, Metallica's former bass player also started out as a classically-trained pianist.

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 1:55 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Trent Reznor is an exceptional pianist, and a good number of Nine Inch Nails songs make use of his somber compositions, most notably "Something I Can Never Have". Cliff Burton, Metallica's former bass player also started out as a classically-trained pianist.

Flava flav is said to be able to play every instrument.

Complete waste of talent if true.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm

The banjo is cool as Hell. The clarinet will never be.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 4:37 pm

AspE wrote:

W O R D !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-SBW0TDPc[/youtube]

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 6:36 pm

AspE wrote:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t_TL9YFemic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The bajo will never be cool.

In some ways it's something better.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t_TL9YFemic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the clarinet is great.....for preparing to play other instruments. ;)

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 6:01 am

You see accordions, ukuleles and banjos popping up more and more nowadays in hipster indie folk bands, but I still don't think it makes them inherently cool...it all depends on the kind of music you're playing. Sure, when Mumford & Sons bust out a banjo, all the kids go wild, but when I bust out the banjo and play some KISS songs, suddenly I'm forcibly removed from the premises.

I fully embrace the nerdiness of the instruments I love. I still remember that accordions are also associated with polka, Lawrence Welk, Weird Al and millions of chubby white guys at Oktoberfest, and that makes them all the more cooler to me, if not to the general public.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 6:37 am

Skibz888 wrote:
You see accordions, ukuleles and banjos popping up more and more nowadays in hipster indie folk bands, but I still don't think it makes them inherently cool...it all depends on the kind of music you're playing. Sure, when Mumford & Sons bust out a banjo, all the kids go wild, but when I bust out the banjo and play some KISS songs, suddenly I'm forcibly removed from the premises.

I fully embrace the nerdiness of the instruments I love. I still remember that accordions are also associated with polka, Lawrence Welk, Weird Al and millions of chubby white guys at Oktoberfest, and that makes them all the more cooler to me, if not to the general public.

There are accordions in folk metal that is an awesome genre lol Finntroll(folk metal) is still 'indie' in the sense I am pretty sure they still have no label....and it would be funny if someone played KISS on banjo if they pulled it off it would even be cool. I don't see how instruments would be nerdy I guess, why shouldn't various instruments be incorporated into various forms of music. And Mumford and sons has like two good songs, the rest sound the same..I'd rather listen to The Growlers.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 6:57 am

I believe American culture sees accordions above any other instrument as inherently nerdy, at least since the '60s. People like Lawrence Welk and Myron Floren pretty much used them to personify the type of "old" and "boring" music that the rock and roll youth culture was actively rebelling against. By the time the '70s rolled around, accordions were nothing more than a relic of a past generation, almost exclusively being associated with polkas and easy-listening. Such was their reputation that Weird Al's entire early schtick hinged on his humorous juxtaposition of playing popular rock songs on the accordion. It was such a characteristically unhip instrument.

Of course, accordions still had life in Cajun, zydeco, country-western, Tejano, etc. and the occasional jazz or classical band, but for the most part, I think their use in popular music is still largely a novelty.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 7:03 am

Skibz888 wrote:
I believe American culture sees accordions above any other instrument as inherently nerdy, at least since the '60s. People like Lawrence Welk and Myron Floren pretty much used them to personify the type of "old" and "boring" music that the rock and roll youth culture was actively rebelling against. By the time the '70s rolled around, accordions were nothing more than a relic of a past generation, almost exclusively being associated with polkas and easy-listening. Such was their reputation that Weird Al's entire early schtick hinged on his humorous juxtaposition of playing popular rock songs on the accordion. It was such a characteristically unhip instrument.

Of course, accordions still had life in Cajun, zydeco, country-western, Tejano, etc. and the occasional jazz or classical band, but for the most part, I think their use in popular music is still largely a novelty.

well popular music of today is pretty much crap anyways...either way it still certianly has a place in metal and I have been listening to metal that incorporates such instruments for quite some time another one aside from fintroll that uses accordion is Korpiklanni. Interestingly enough finntroll has been referred to as polka metal as well as folk metal.