Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 6:36 pm

Have any Aspiering ( :wink: ) writers on this site been able to get into the heads of their characters? Have you ever caught yourself saying and doing things that your characters would say or do? I'm what you call a method writer. To understand the characters and their dilemmas, I get inside their minds and often get myself into situations that they would find themselves in. This technique does have its risks: by putting myself into the shoes of someone that doesn't exist, I often lose sight of reality and myself, and as a result, I come off as a weirdo, or worse, an absolute nutjob. The latter is especially true when I explore the minds of the darker characters. However, I guess all fiction writers do strange things.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 10:39 pm

I have a strong tendency to connect with other people's characters in that way; however, I've never been very good at creating my own characters. Even when I have created my own characters, I always feel like they pale in comparison to my favorite movie/cartoon/videogame/etc. characters.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 10:48 pm

Yes I do this.........sometimes I start talking like the characters in the series I'm reading which really freaks my mom out. I'm not a writer though.......I'm just a reader............so for me also, this is other people's characters not my own.