Don't tell me what music to listen to

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 7:54 am

musicforanna wrote:
See, the funny thing is that people are usually the opposite to me when it comes to who I "shouldn't" listen to. You see, the stereotype of someone with AS is that they'll seek out any indie hipster bands that are obscure, blah blah blah.

Music-wise, I do have a few obscure things in there (rasputina? kenna? anyone?) , but generally I'm little miss pop when it comes to music. I have quite the fluffy tastes. Usually when I tell someone that my music collection has a lot of the backstreet boys, their first reaction is WWWHHAAAIIIIIIYYY?????????! !! !! (something akin to someone running over their pet in the street) I swear I've gotten more flak for liking this boyband than any thing else on earth second to not fitting in due to my AS (I think my appeal to them is not just them nabbing well-written songs and occasional a capella singing but the fact that they all have distinctly different voice types that gives them their distinct sound when they blend-- this is why no other boyband ever did it for me). But that's okay, because the dirty little secret hiding in my music collection is actually more embarrassing stuff, like aqua.

Essentially what my music tastes centers around is a good whopping melody. Currently playing is a band named within temptation. But the previous song was foo fighters, and before that was garbage. I'm also kinda stuck in the 90's warp sometimes. Not that I mind in comparison to some of the crap on radio these days.

Not all pop music makes the grade though (especially not that crap that repeats the same syllables or one phrase hook over and over-- that's not catchy to me, that's "someone was too damn stoned to finish the damn song"). And ew at these days with people and their terrible mastering. The last thing I want to listen to in any song is if it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. And people making excuses for their sh***y mixing and mastering saying "well, it's bright!"-- yeah. it's bright. it stabs out all your orifices.

It has to move me. I want memorable melodies, and feel good cadences that are engineered so pleasing that they knock me over sideways. That to me is the appeal of music.

You know, Within Temptation isn't really Pop, they are a Symphonic Metal band. While Foo Fighters is popular they aren't really Pop either, they're Post-Grunge.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2012, 10:37 am

This is the kind of stuff I listen to:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=021dpCrALfE[/youtube]

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm

Here's a list of bands I listen to:
AC/DC
Beastie Boys (early work)
Crush 40 (formerly Sons of Angels)
Guns n Roses
Iron Maiden
Jonathon Coulton
Kiss
Kix
Korn
Magna-Fi
Maximum the Hormone
Metallica
Motley Crue
Ozzy Osborn
The Pillows
Powerman 5000
Quiet Riot
Ratt
Scorpions
Sins of a Divine Mother
Twisted Sister
Van Halen

Last edited by Aspiegaming on 03 Oct 2012, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 12:03 am

Ganondox wrote:
musicforanna wrote:
See, the funny thing is that people are usually the opposite to me when it comes to who I "shouldn't" listen to. You see, the stereotype of someone with AS is that they'll seek out any indie hipster bands that are obscure, blah blah blah.

Music-wise, I do have a few obscure things in there (rasputina? kenna? anyone?) , but generally I'm little miss pop when it comes to music. I have quite the fluffy tastes. Usually when I tell someone that my music collection has a lot of the backstreet boys, their first reaction is WWWHHAAAIIIIIIYYY?????????! !! !! (something akin to someone running over their pet in the street) I swear I've gotten more flak for liking this boyband than any thing else on earth second to not fitting in due to my AS (I think my appeal to them is not just them nabbing well-written songs and occasional a capella singing but the fact that they all have distinctly different voice types that gives them their distinct sound when they blend-- this is why no other boyband ever did it for me). But that's okay, because the dirty little secret hiding in my music collection is actually more embarrassing stuff, like aqua.

Essentially what my music tastes centers around is a good whopping melody. Currently playing is a band named within temptation. But the previous song was foo fighters, and before that was garbage. I'm also kinda stuck in the 90's warp sometimes. Not that I mind in comparison to some of the crap on radio these days.

Not all pop music makes the grade though (especially not that crap that repeats the same syllables or one phrase hook over and over-- that's not catchy to me, that's "someone was too damn stoned to finish the damn song"). And ew at these days with people and their terrible mastering. The last thing I want to listen to in any song is if it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. And people making excuses for their sh***y mixing and mastering saying "well, it's bright!"-- yeah. it's bright. it stabs out all your orifices.

It has to move me. I want memorable melodies, and feel good cadences that are engineered so pleasing that they knock me over sideways. That to me is the appeal of music.

You know, Within Temptation isn't really Pop, they are a Symphonic Metal band. While Foo Fighters is popular they aren't really Pop either, they're Post-Grunge.

I'm not tabbing them as pop genre-wise. I was elaborating on the fact that even though I do like some pop (where I was talking about bsb earlier), even with stuff that isn't pop, the main tie-in to my music collection are good strong melodies. Which despite not being pop, those bands do have good strong melodies in their music.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 3:41 pm

No foo fighters for awhile if ever again.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 6:42 pm

I know! It's sad. Granted they've been touring together for a long time and haven't taken a whole lot of breaks as a band so they deserve this hiatus to rest up to when they feel more inspired to regroup if they do in the future.

I miss them already, as pathetic as that sounds. "Wasting Light" was such a good album that gave me hope for the future of rock/alternative music. They know how to do it right.

Holmesian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2012, 11:00 pm

I've never had this problem, but people always seem to get a little scared when they find out what I listen to. Typical responses include, 'You listen to Black Sabbath? But you're so quiet!' and 'You're not depressed, are you?' (Alice in Chains. And no, I'm not. Promise.) On the bright side, they take these choices to mean that 'look out, she'll sacrifice your soul!' and not give me any grief. :D (Only kidding, the grief has long passed. But not the surprised reactions!)

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Nov 2012, 6:03 pm

Here are my favorite bands/musicians
Pink Floyd
Gorillaz
The Black Keys
Death Cab For Cutie
Coldplay
Blur
Blind Guardian
Oasis
Angels and Airwaves
Sufjan Stevens
Bon Iver
My Chemical Romance
MGMT
Bob Marley
The Shins
Modest Mouse
Mumford and Sons
Panic! At The Disco
Syd Barrett
Taking Back Sunday
Brand New
Tycho

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 7:03 pm

Yay, someone else remembers Crush 40!

Just listen to what you like with your own set of standards. That second part is key, few people have standards by which to judge good music from bad music these days.

I think nobody should really take offense to criticism of a band they listen to...if you can't defend it why listen to it? I imagine few people are as idealistic as me musically...but I still have nearly 200 bands from a wide range of styles, so clearly something is working well.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 7:20 pm

When someone tells you to listen to different music, tell 'em to f**k off.

If they're in your car and complain about your music, play something that will annoy them much more. That'll shut 'em up.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 7:31 pm

musicforanna wrote:
S
Music-wise, I do have a few obscure things in there (rasputina? kenna? anyone?) , but generally I'm little miss pop when it comes to music.

Rasputina are quite interesting.

You will reap what you've sown.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 7:33 pm

Ganondox, I'm noticing you seem like the type of metal fan that loves to have a bunch of genre descriptions. Could you explain why some metal fans do that? I just have overlapping genres that have a range of styles within them like industrial, progressive, death and thrash metal, etc.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 9:29 pm

My Misophonia prevents me from listening to music I don't like. I remember being in the car with my parents and they put in a Snoop Dogg CD. The song "Drop It Like It's Hot" starts playing and suddenly my brain's temporal lobes are on fire. I don't like rap music but I definitely hate that song. The clunking beats are too much. Now matter how much I begged, screamed, and cried, they told me to shut up and deal with it as they were trying to listen to the song. They put their entertainment over ME?!?!?!

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 9:30 pm

I agree aspiegaming, rap is incredibly annoying, especially the autotuned rap.