Sea Gull

05 Nov 2012, 7:56 pm

Gangsta rap.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqXi8WmQ_WM[/youtube]

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 3:02 am

I absolutely loathe gangsta rap for all of the reasons mentioned in the posts above mine.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 3:05 am

I agree with 99% of the anti-rap comments.

Persona 3 soundtracks have the only tolerable rap in my opinion.

Author/Writer

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 5:23 am

Zodai wrote:

But what about Street Fighter 3?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 1:01 pm

ComradeKael wrote:
Gangsta rap.

The sad part is when I first heard it it was from someone playing it out loud off of their ipod and I only heard part of it, and I thought it was a completely serious song.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ComradeKael
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Nov 2012, 1:36 pm

Ganondox wrote:
ComradeKael wrote:
Gangsta rap.

The sad part is when I first heard it it was from someone playing it out loud off of their ipod and I only heard part of it, and I thought it was a completely serious song.

A lot of people think it's serious. But it's a parody of rap music.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2012, 3:57 pm

blackelk wrote:
f**k that . Old 90s gangsta rap is the sh**. NWA, Cypress Hill, Geto Boys, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, etc..

It's also misogynistic and racist, still good sh** though.

That's because there was actual motivation behind gangsta rap (e.g., racist LAPD police), unlike the garbage that is put out there today.

Is DMX considered gangsta rap? I'm not good with determining specific types of music. Because he was awesome too. I think his extreme anger because of the commercialization of Christmas was misguided, but it made him produce good music. (That's a joke we once discussed in high school, he's not mad about that).

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 12:14 am

1000Knives wrote:
Zodai wrote:

But what about Street Fighter 3?

Haven't heard their rap yet. Wasn't even aware it had rap soundtracks until now.

Author/Writer

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 3:36 am

iBlockhead wrote:
blackelk wrote:
f**k that . Old 90s gangsta rap is the sh**. NWA, Cypress Hill, Geto Boys, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, etc..

It's also misogynistic and racist, still good sh** though.

That's because there was actual motivation behind gangsta rap (e.g., racist LAPD police), unlike the garbage that is put out there today.

Is DMX considered gangsta rap? I'm not good with determining specific types of music. Because he was awesome too. I think his extreme anger because of the commercialization of Christmas was misguided, but it made him produce good music. (That's a joke we once discussed in high school, he's not mad about that).

So how does that excuse misogyny?

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2012, 10:01 am

Ganondox wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
]That's because there was actual motivation behind gangsta rap (e.g., racist LAPD police), unlike the garbage that is put out there today.

Don't you listen to death metal or something like that? I forget.

I don't see many metal fans seeming to care about anti-Christian themes or the other violent death metal lyrics on WP. Just saying, you guys have to play fair here.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 7:27 pm

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
Out of all the rap music in the world, gangsta rap is about the only kind I can sometimes enjoy. Or even tolerate. Most rap just sounds like a guy getting repeatedly punched in the chest with a bassline in the background.

...as opposed to gangsta rap, in which the artist describes repeatedly punching (or shooting) someone else in the chest with a bassline in the background. :wink:

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2012, 12:22 pm

aspies might not necessarily look at drugs, alcohol, weapons, and sex as wrong, as we look at the world much differently, but misogyny might not be right to most aspies, i assume, unless a particular woman kept harming the aspie guy emotionally/physically, or if that woman was like Hitler...i guess maybe gangsta rap is ok as long as you're not trying to do it when you think it is wrong.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 1:59 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
unless a particular woman kept harming the aspie guy emotionally/physically, or if that woman was like Hitler...i guess maybe gangsta rap is ok as long as you're not trying to do it when you think it is wrong.

Misogyny is the act of hating women in general. Issues surrounding one woman do not constitute an example of misogyny.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2012, 2:57 pm

and from all of what i said on this post, my parents would've replied "it doesn't matter, it's still wrong whether you think it is or not", but i'm an aspie, so no one can tell me that.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 9:31 am

I enjoy gangsta rap.

I see it as a form of theater, not unlike violent cinema or literature. The gangsta rappers are usually presenting a character when they rhyme, and I enjoy the rappers that do that well.

That's my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

I listen to it for the same reasons I listen to Satan metal - for the theatrical angle.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 4:41 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
]That's because there was actual motivation behind gangsta rap (e.g., racist LAPD police), unlike the garbage that is put out there today.

Don't you listen to death metal or something like that? I forget.

I don't see many metal fans seeming to care about anti-Christian themes or the other violent death metal lyrics on WP. Just saying, you guys have to play fair here.

First, I don't listen to that much Death Metal, I prefer other Metal subgenres, and most the Metal I listen to, even the Death Metal, isn't openly violent or blatantly anti-christian (and when it is anti-christian it's usually asking for Christians to stop being blind sheep, not wishing death upon them). Anyway, this isn't about Death Metal, this is about Gangsta Rap. If you really want me to form an argument for it, I can say that it can be justified the same way as gangsta rap, the anti-christian themes usually come from a genuine believe that Christianity is oppressive and unethical, and the violent themes are usually catharsis. Of course there are those who are just doing it for the shock value, but the same can be said about certain rappers.