Name/post 5 tunes from your favorite music genre

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 1:51 pm

I had this in mind as a bit of a reprisal to the "Worst genre of music!" thread where, lol, I'm sure a lot of people see whatever genre that is mentioned by people and are probably thinking "Well that's probably because you're hearing rubbish!" - likely they're at least half wrong :lol: and the unfathomable truth comes to light that people really can listen to exactly what they like and dislike it.

All the same - rep your genre!! Show us the best of what it offers you personally!

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:23 pm

I listen almost exclusively to classical these days with an emphasis on the romantic piano and symphonic repertoire. That said, here are five random likes:
Beethoven - Symphony No. 7
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6
Chopin - Polonaises
Saint-Saens - Symphony No. 3
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 2

Last edited by redrobin62 on 19 Nov 2012, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOrtJMQmVs&feature=colike[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urw-iutHw5E&feature=colike[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xd8ykpZkwA&feature=colike[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1knO1Ip9oEg&feature=colike[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4-5OtBx6u8&feature=colike[/youtube]

echinopsis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2012, 6:40 pm

i dont have a favorite genre of music so in order to not completely spam the thread im going to limit this to 1 each.

aphex twin - 4
i still dont really know where to put him, but i listen to that song at least once a day and it never bored me in all those years.

glenn miller - in the mood
probably the most popular swing tune anyway, but whatever, love it or leave it. best played on a good phonograph.

the pixies - where is my mind
the one song that even those without any affinity to indie stuff should know. and a brilliant piano version while im at it.

bad company - the nine
i never figured out why i cant enter a station without earplugs yet just love listening to this on max volume for hours on end. people with an aversion to excessive repetition and bass might however be better off not looking it up.

max bruch - violin concert nr 1, op. 26
in my opinion the best piece for violin ever written. i read he himself hated it for it became the only one he was known and acknowledged for and people always just wanted to hear this one masterpiece, but i cant help it, way too genius. the only classic work i hold dearer than that would be tchaikowskys nr 6 which has already been mentioned.

pink floyd - comfortably numb
my first true love so to say, very psychedelic but definately the most well mixed album i ever heard. and the second guitar part towards the end of that particular song is just insane.

the mars volta - eriatarka
progressive rock, also experimental but taken in a different (and very interesting) direction. unfortunately i couldnt find a crisp non-live version of this on youtube, but here is a concert link for anyone who might want to have a very rough idea at least.

june miller - neurosis
electronic beauty. one of those pieces that hit right to the heart (or brain rather), i cant imagine where id be without ever hearing that actually.

hm. i think i should really stop now.

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2012, 7:11 pm

I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but nu metal, alt metal and metalcore are my favorite genres as of late. I sort of just lump them together under the umbrella term alt metal.

Five songs:
In The End- Linkin Park
My Apocalypse- Escape the Fate
When the Sun Sleeps- Underoath
the Diary of Jane- Breaking Benjamin
What Happened to You- Deftones

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:19 pm

1. Joy Division - Atmosphere

2. Echo & the Bunnymen - Over the Wall

3. Jesus and Mary Chain - April Skies

4. The Church - Under the Milky Way

5. Martin L. Gore - I Cast a Lonesome Shadow

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 2:13 pm

echinopsis wrote:
bad company - the nine
i never figured out why i cant enter a station without earplugs yet just love listening to this on max volume for hours on end. people with an aversion to excessive repetition and bass might however be better off not looking it up.

I still remember back in 1998 when I was actively 'in' that this tune and Funktion by Ed Rush and Optical you were guaranteed to at least hear once per night and on at least every-other mixtape/mix-cd.

echinopsis wrote:
june miller - neurosis
electronic beauty. one of those pieces that hit right to the heart (or brain rather), i cant imagine where id be without ever hearing that actually.

Will have to revisit. Love Half-Top.