Come pick apart my website's design!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CharlesMabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2014, 7:20 pm

I released version 1.1 of my personal blog's design and put it up on the real site. It's a blog about psychology, idealism, and art and fiction. It's also the home page to my magnum opus, an in-progress novel and video game called The Solemn Dream (which is also about psychology and idealism, but you can read about that on the site).

While I write a lot of intriguing stuff that I'm sure many of you will enjoy, I didn't create this topic (just) to show off. Instead, I am asking for people to skim the site and pick apart the design, giving me feedback about the readability, aesthetic, and usability. (It's responsive and works of phones, so mess around with that if you think it will help.) I'll take whatever feedback I can get, big or small. Thanks!

Don't worry about trying to be nice to me. Anything that looks messy, out-of-place, or hard to use, tell me! And if you enjoy what you read, that's a bonus for us both. Here's the link:

http://thesolemndream.com

And here's a screenshot:

Have at it! :P

I am an autistic survivor of childhood abuse and neglect.
I author a blog about idealism, psychology, and art: http://thesolemndream.com

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 1:51 am

I prefer a solid background that contrasts well with the text so that it is easier to read. However your crosshatch is light enough that it is not bad.

I used to know someone named Myles (or maybe Miles) Mabe. Any kin? I've occasionally wondered where he is now.

CharlesMabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2014, 11:51 am

No, I don't know anyone by that name. However, there was a time when I almost changed my name to Miles "Tails" Prower. It was a stupid idea and I'm more mature now. I had a court date to do it but my ride gave me the middle finger at the last minute. It was the only time I almost changed my name. What a coincidence, right?

Last edited by CharlesMabe on 06 May 2014, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CharlesMabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2014, 11:55 am

Anyway, I felt I needed the cross-hatch. Certain elements such as borders really benefit from it. Even if people aren't readily aware of the existence of a texture, the mind still is effected by it. And web design, like all meaningful art (including things like logos and packaging), is all about psychology. You need to know how the minds of your audience work if you want them to find your product or art memorable, readable, and pleasant.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 7:10 am

CharlesMabe wrote:
It was a stupid idea and I'm more mature now. I had a court date to do it but my ride gave me the middle finger at the last minute. It was the only time I almost changed my name. What a coincidence, right?
There was one family related to my mother in which every single kid in the family changed their given names! And it's not like their names were strange or weird or anything. They all had perfectly normal names but just felt that they would like some other name better. It is kind of changing one's name from Paul to Steve.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 May 2014, 11:08 am

It seems to run just fine with me. It's a lovely site. The colors work pretty well together in my opinion.

And of course, one of the first things I find is your Legend of Zelda entry. :lol:

CharlesMabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2014, 7:57 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
It seems to run just fine with me. It's a lovely site. The colors work pretty well together in my opinion.

And of course, one of the first things I find is your Legend of Zelda entry. :lol:

Lol thanks. Also, the Zelda entry was the second one I made. How'd you find it first?