Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2013, 7:28 pm

Lately I've been using writing as a coping method. Against my will, my parents read some of it and my dad(doctorate in literature and probably writing if I remember right) said it was quite good. Does anyone else use writing as an outlet when they're feeling a strong emotion or just in the mood for it?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:37 pm

i don't do it as often as would be helpful. journaling on one's feelings has been shown to even improve physical health.

sorry your parents didn't respect your boundaries, but glad it had a good outcome.

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

I would've been upset that they didn't respect my boundaries, but I do write. I used to write poems at first. Then I did some long lyrics, basically the same lol. Now I do more adult themed/angst/love etc. That helps with my emotions considerably.

AS, OCD, ADHD - Diagnosed
PTSD - Undiagnosed
<"May the Gods have mercy on you for I shall show none...">

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2013, 5:33 am

I was somewhat upset by it; I did get to delete some stuff before they read it though. Which was probably a good thing, as some of the stuff was a good distance from happy. Does anyone else write kind of to extremely dark stuff? Some of it was even joyful, not all on the unhappy side.

ReverendTexGinsberg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2013, 5:54 pm

Writing has helped but it's also been a "curse" (that brutal honesty thing many people can't accept).

One of the most helpful forms of writing for me is screenplays. It's creative, but it also has a structure that has to be followed to do it correctly. Which helps me stay focused on "on task."

If you're interested at all in that sort of thing check out Syd Field at http://www.sydfield.com/. He's written many books on the subject and has a good approach. His books are even used as textbooks in film school.

It's helped me a lot and keeps my interest longer so I'm productive with what I write. Plus... it's actually FUN! :-)