Musicians Poll on being able to read music.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Do you read music? Do you need to?
Poll ended at 27 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm
I read music and find it necessary. 57%  57%  [ 13 ]
I read music but rarely have to. 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
I don't read music and don't think I need to. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I don't read music but there are times I wish I did. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2013, 6:09 pm

Until recently I thought musicans who can't read music were lazy and were missing a way to improve and communicate with other musicians. It may depend on the type of music and ear training music though. For my part I can read and find it essential, except when finding a note to go with a chord when playing with a bluegrass band.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by wbport on 27 Jan 2013, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 6:23 pm

Can read, and have you ever tried playing advanced classical music without reading? I have a really good ear, but it's not enough.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 6:44 pm

I read and used it in a pop context. When I was scoring vocal harmonies it became necessary to be able to read and write it.

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2013, 6:55 pm

A number of years ago a co-worker was getting married and wanted Peter Stukey's "Wedding Song" (There is Love) performed. A guitar player who also worked with us asked me about playing it the way it was recorded. Not being familiar with the guitar then I asked where the open strings are on a piano staff. He had no idea what I was talking about and I wasn't able to help him in the least.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2013, 8:53 pm

I can read music and rhythms very well thanks to playing drums throughout high school and guitar/piano since. I don't find it terrifically necessary for guitar and I usually notate my songs in tablature for my musician friends who may or may not have learned to read music. When I cover a song, I learn it by ear rather than seeking any scored version since they're always incomplete and usually full of errors. For piano, I find reading music is completely necessary. Honestly, my ear is good but not exceptional so I should probably work on that :).

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 4:28 am

i can read music as easily as i read english; it is just another way to write down sounds to make in a specific order.
i did start with musical training very young, and i'm classically trained, ochestra setting. you dont have a choice but read music there, the music is too long and complicated to play by ear, although by the time performances come around i will only need the written sheets as a memorysupport.

i find that playing by ear comes quite hard to me but that is getting better the more i do it, the hardest thing it figuring out the starting note and he specific key of the song; once i find those out, it's relatively easy to learn the rest of the song.

musicreading is very useful though, i can hear the song in my head from the notes, even if i see a directors score (several instruments on a single page) i have no trouble seeing and 'hearing' how it will sound when played.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 8:27 am

I can read.. I was taught Theory when I was young but now that I am a pop/rock musician I don't need sheet. I can improvise with ease ;) try it OP. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 8:49 am

technically, i can "read" music but my brain has insufficient throughput speed to be able to instantly translate the notes i see into finger positions on whatever instrument i am struggling with at the moment.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:06 am

izzeme wrote:
i can read music as easily as i read english; it is just another way to write down sounds to make in a specific order.
i did start with musical training very young, and i'm classically trained, ochestra setting. you dont have a choice but read music there, the music is too long and complicated to play by ear, although by the time performances come around i will only need the written sheets as a memorysupport.

i find that playing by ear comes quite hard to me but that is getting better the more i do it, the hardest thing it figuring out the starting note and he specific key of the song; once i find those out, it's relatively easy to learn the rest of the song.

musicreading is very useful though, i can hear the song in my head from the notes, even if i see a directors score (several instruments on a single page) i have no trouble seeing and 'hearing' how it will sound when played.

:o Wow...this is exactly how I think about it :o Way cool :)

Then I have done my job

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 11:47 am

I can read music,took private lessons and a band geek.I can read really fast so this helped me with learning to read sheet music.
We have a lot of local musicians here that play by ear,I have always admired that.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

29 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm

I was a band kid up until 7th grade, and I did choir for about three years, so I was taught how to read it. I rarely have to, though.

BlackSkimmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2013, 2:51 am

I mainly play the flute in band so I can read sheet music and I can do it at a good pace. Usually, I just sit on my bed and just play music that comes to my head. That is either by ear or my own music that I make up.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 3:54 am

Can read a tiny bit but not really. play mostly improvised music anyway.

JDM1992
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2013, 10:21 pm

I can read rhythms but not notes. All I see are dots and lines on a page. I had to teach myself guitar and realized that reading music was a waste of time as I have two ears that do the same thing. I also refuse to learn to read music as I was bullied out of High School band for not being able to read the music to the instrument I was playing (bass Guitar) even though I already knew the songs they wanted me to preform. (90's rock and show tunes for pep band). I once suggested the song "Again" by Alice in chains but all I got was funny looks by the band kids. Them kids had a bad case of "ego". I put up with too much s**t from "classically trained" musicians with over inflated egos to be bothered to read music.

There is no hope for my future. A failure is all I am and all I will
ever be.

HeWhoTheGodsDetest
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2013, 11:46 pm

You might be able to decipher simpler songs simply by ear, but on songs with fast passages, complex melodies, and/or unusual time signatures, it is ESSENTIAL to be able to read music.

- Robert Downey Jr. as Kirk Lazarus as Sergeant Four Leaf