Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 5:26 pm

Does anyone else here have a lot of issues trying to restring their instruments? I simply never have enough hand-eye coordination to restring my guitar or bass strings. SOmetimes I can get smaller light gauge strings on guitar but never anything else. Irritates me because I have to wait for when my dad has time to do it...and it isn't for lack of trying. Spent 45 minutes earlier trying to put GHS Boomers on my Ibanez 6 string bass. Nothing went on and I tried every string.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 6:23 pm

Restringing my violin is about my least favourite job.
I can play the damn thing; surely restringing it shouldn't be so hard?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Aoibh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2012, 4:54 am

Restringing either my violin or my guitar is an absolute pain. The only thing I can suggest is to take it to a music shop and they should be able to do it or show you how to

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 10:31 pm

This. I play violin, and restringing is a pain in the ass. Some time ago, I took off my strings (individually of course, I don't want to knock the bridge or soundpost) to apply peg compound, and one thing I noticed immediately any time I put a new string on is how irritating it is to thread the string through the hole in the peg and getting it to wind the way you want it to. And not to where it crosses over to cause a weakness in the string for it to later pop in the pegbox.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 10:08 pm

Damn it, another set of snapped bass strings and after trying for 45 minutes I can't restring a single damn string. hate having to rely on people to do this for me.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

JDM1992
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2013, 8:18 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
Damn it, another set of snapped bass strings and after trying for 45 minutes I can't restring a single damn string. hate having to rely on people to do this for me.

I find that taking your bass to shops can add up to a huge cost. It used to bother me too. I was too nervous to even think about doing it but one day after a shop tried to charge me 75$ for new strings and to change (Shop sold strings MSRP). Its best to take your time. I recommend swapping the Heavy boomers for another brand that has Silk wrap on the ends so you can use that as a measurement tool. Also remember not to "twist" the string as your installing as this can cause even a new set out of the pack to shear at the bridge. It takes time and much patience at first but I think you can do it!
:D

There is no hope for my future. A failure is all I am and all I will
ever be.