Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm

Are there many Aspies here that are musicians and also have ADHD?

I always seem to have trouble with rhythm and having an even tempo. I can be very expressive with rubato and tempo, but I sometimes can't really tell to what degree I am altering things. Similarly I can have some issues with the perception of time and counting. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was younger. I don't like working with a metronome, but it helps me a bit. Recording myself also exposes to me my flaws.

Been a cellist for twelve years and had lessons for most of them, but I still have some trouble with the basics and technique. My new teacher is focusing on them with me though.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 5:30 am

Kurt Cobain was diagnosed with ADHD.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 7:42 am

I majored in music in college. I have two degrees. My main instrument is piano with a minor in voice. I was going to join the local Choral Society but it's very expensive to join and that doesn't include the uniform and music books. Plus they do travel a lot so I would have to take leave from my full time job. I got burnt out though with music towards the end of my senior year and just go a Bachelor of Arts in Music. I can still perform if I want to but I don't like the entire spotlight on me playing piano say at the Kennedy Center. I have sang in front of hundred or so people during college too. I did My Heart Will Go On. I was actually ok singing in front of people. I played piano since age 5 but actually quit after college. From time to time I do play some songs but nothing like before. I'm not flexible like before. But I would rejoin a chorus group if I can find one that doesn't have expensive membership fee. Unfortunately the other one I wanted to join meets Mon nights and I'm in bed way before the rehearsals are done. I have aspergers and a learning disability.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2013, 10:19 pm

Yeah, I have ADHD. To tel lyou the truth, it is really a hinderance, since it means my mind runs really fast and I could hardly concentrate on the things I need to do. Forget about finding a "cure" for autism. If pills is the best one can do for ADHD, I'd personally tel lthem to try a little harder.